AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were watching the extended version of LOTR Return of the King...halfway through disc two, the picture starts "pulsating." We finish the movie and I go to watch HDTV and it's teh same thing: pulsation. WTF? I just returned DLP because of rainbows and now I have flicker?

Is there something I can do about this? I'm about at the end of my rope. :(

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I am sure an owner of the same projector as you will comment soon. The natural thing to suspect is a bad bulb or one that is not well seated in its socket. The supply with bulbs have long been struggling to meet the demand. Some suspect that quality control has gone down as a result.

Wait for advice here or contact your reseller.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have the HX2U as well and that same problem occured with my unit out of the box according to William P who calibrated it. He had to replace the bulb (under warranty of course) to rectify the problem.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Argh. Man am I having horrible luck thus far. *sigh*. Okay...will go get a warranty replacement then. Where is a good place to buy backup lamps for this projector, btw?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeame
Argh. Man am I having horrible luck thus far. *sigh*. Okay...will go get a warranty replacement then. Where is a good place to buy backup lamps for this projector, btw?
In my case, Jason and William took care of it.

I would suggest you speak to the person who sold it to you.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
How many hours do you have on the lamp? New lamps do have a tendency to flicker. If you have over 24 hours on it now then it's probably defective. Talk to your dealer or JVC for a warranty replacement.

What is the environment the projector is in - hot, normal, or cold? Believe it or not, if the projector is too cold, for example near an A/C duct, that can cause flicker.

William

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, it's RIGHT next to the vent. Weird. I"ll get a thing to redirect the air and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, update: 60 hours on the bulb. Moved the vent pointing away from it, and we'll see if tonight things are different watching a movie.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: it's still doing it. 90 lamp hours at this point, and it keeps dimming and brightening in a pulsing manner. Almost like what my Mitz used to do with that auto bright/contrast feature (IRIS) when it got confused about the environment it was in. I have called JVC and am waiting for an answer on my replacement lamp.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Rick,

Get JVC or your dealer to replace it. It's a defective lamp.

When you get the replacement, install it, re-hang the projector, and put 20-24 hours on it to break it in. Do *NOT* operate the projector right-side-up (assuming you are using a ceiling mount) at any time.

William

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm
Do *NOT* operate the projector right-side-up (assuming you are using a ceiling mount) at any time.

William
That's interesting. Why wouldn't you want to operate the projector right-side-up if you're planning on ceiling mounting it?

Tim

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Sounds like lamp flicker issue. It should be covered by your dealer under warranty. I have come across a few of these and they are taken care of.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had the same problem appear at 200 hrs. Jason suggested I run the pj for 24 hrs straight. I did this and the problem disappearrred. Something about stuff on the filament. I guess the filament burns up over time. The combustion products mostly settle on the cooler part - the glass of the bulb. But some may settle back on the filament when the pj is turned off. The products may affect the function of the filament or perhaps obscure the filament output as they re-vaporize.

Have a film fest with music video dvds. The lights on those shows flicker and flash a lot so you wont even notice the little bit of flicker your bulb is adding.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We have tested this issue and the last three replacement bulbs have the same problem. I'm thinking JVC had a bad run of bulbs. Spoke with JVC pro field engineer today and he was not aware of the problem.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karos
Something about stuff on the filament. I guess the filament burns up over time. The combustion products mostly settle on the cooler part - the glass of the bulb. But some may settle back on the filament when the pj is turned off. The products may affect the function of the filament or perhaps obscure the filament output as they re-vaporize.
There's no filament in UHP of Xenon lamps.

They're short arc lamps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello,

I had exactly the same flicker on me previous SIM2 pj.

The cause was a defective component signal output from my DVD player.

Anders

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstrong
We have tested this issue and the last three replacement bulbs have the same problem. I'm thinking JVC had a bad run of bulbs. Spoke with JVC pro field engineer today and he was not aware of the problem.
Odd, because much of JVC is aware of the problem.

We have discovered that at least some of the flicker problem is caused by how the lamp is first used, inverted or right side up. There is some indication that the lamps are run in by the manufacturer or JVC, still trying to get confirmation on this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.