AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt want to hijack another thread, but there are a few guys doing subwoofer systems with tactile transducers. Any detailes on which ones you used and XO points if any, do they actually produce sound or just rumble......do they just overlap or reinforce ?

Of course, which ones do you use, what amps drive them, and whats doing DSP if any.....

Discribe the build process, or link us to your build, Thanx

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
If you search the official crowson thread you'll get the goods. I'm using them with a 40hz low pass utilizing the crowson amp. Others are having success with the buttkicker amp and behringer inukes. No sound, just a seamless transition that feels like a large increase in displacement for ulf.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just gathering options as i have no dwelling. I like the idea of a mix of capable subs and some thumpers bolted here and there. There are some options in the thumper dept. one interesting post was some have a decay issue and arent quick to start/stop vibrating. Reminds me of a poorly treated room and the bass remains in all the corners long after the original signal is gone.

So, just a bunch of food for thought is all.......

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the Crowson's. I like them but cannot compare to others as these are the only brand I have had.

Some people seem to hate the Buttkickers and move on to other brands or then hate transducers as a group and others seem to like the Buttkickers just fine. I didn't want to go thru the upgrades so I went straight to the Crowson. No decay issues with them.

I cross mine at 30hz and also run my IB subs down to about 12hz so I have some overlap.

I also boost mine at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Moto

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My old room was a suspended first floor. My quad 15's really shook everything quite nice, i believe EQing the room took into account the resonence of the floor along with the sound. Hopefully i get to build my next room like my last one, with a nice riser for more people. My goal is to buy a fixer upper cheap, put all my money into the room and not so much the house. Oak railings and expensive plumbing fixures were nice, but now it's all about the room !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
KG, I've really got to have you over soon. My room the the first floor suspended wood and my two SI's literally make the back of the couch sway back and forth. If you come out it will serve as additional motivation to get you going

I'd love to have a neighbor to build crap with but there are no cheap fixer uppers in Brighton

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48  /t/1519723/hybrid-cone-sub-tactile-transducer#post_24410765

I have the Crowson's. I like them but cannot compare to others as these are the only brand I have had.

Some people seem to hate the Buttkickers and move on to other brands or then hate transducers as a group and others seem to like the Buttkickers just fine. I didn't want to go thru the upgrades so I went straight to the Crowson. No decay issues with them.

I cross mine at 30hz and also run my IB subs down to about 12hz so I have some overlap.

I also boost mine at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Moto
What do you use to eq your crowsons and how is the eq implemented like a house curve?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a Low Shelf filter of 7db at 14hz with a 0.7Q.

Then used the http://www.realmofexcursion.com/downloads.htm tones to dial it in with the IB's.

I use a channel of an EP1500 to power it.

Gives good tactile response down to the 5hz test tone but I haven't tried the 1-35hz sweep yet.

I live alone so I only have 1 chair. I use 1 Crowson that I was able to rig to be in the middle of the chair under a brace. When I had it under 1 rear leg I could locate it so I moved it.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone want to chime in on this decay issues that some units have. As always less expensive solutions are my favorite :0) The buttkickers are pretty cheap. Wts, the Crowsons seem to be a totally different animal.......

Do you guys think that less capable subwoofer system would sufice with the impliment of these tactile transducers......

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
I don't know if you meant decay or delay but I've had the buttkicker advanced as well as the lfe and I still have two of the originals. The issue I've had with all of them is that sometimes it's great and then other times they kind of announce themselves as in not being spot on or can make mechanical noises which again remind you that they're in use. To be fair, maybe with additional units and more time taken to integrate the issues would have been minimized. I will say the originals that I have are extremely powerful and I did experience them set up by an experienced user. I still prefer the Crowsons without hesitation. They're very easy to integrate, are spot on in transient response and are the champ for ulf. I'm wanting to explore eq with them because no matter how deep the content they just never flinch so I know there is even more to be had. When I watch movies I often forget they're on because they just become one with my subs and the impact on a whole just feels real. It doesn't feel like subs then shakers. My subs already move the seats, shake the walls, etc. The transducers just make that whole effect seem more grand as if I went from 8)18s to 16.

I think you can get away with a less potent sub and implement a transducer and be happy. I would just think your subs whatever they may be should be tactile to a certain extent on their own. This helps make the experience believable when subs and transducers combine.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Subs in a light weight box bolted to the back of the couch? Sound and vibrations?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts