AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a server closet with three machines and several other computers and media devices spread around the house.

Ideally I would like a RAID storage device that provides an eSata or USB port for my primary machine and a Gb network interface to serve the rest of the household.

When I started looking around I saw that there are NAS devices now that do have eSata and USB ports - and at first I thought it was great. But then looking more closely at the manuals, they all seem to have those ports to connect drives for expansion - not to serve as a client device for PCs.

From what I've seen, there are two seperate types of devices: NAS storage and External Hard Drives.

The NAS devices support network connections, and sometimes have other interfaces - but not to let PCs connect to them. The External Hard Drives have some combination of eSata/USB/Firewire ports to let PCs connect to them, but no network interface.

Am I missing something, or are there hybrid devices that do both?

I want consolodated storage thats available on the network for all the computers and dont mind the speed limitations of the network for them. But for my main machine at least I'd like to connect with a faster connection. Is that really too much to ask?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.