AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I'm not saying anyone would actually do this, but let's suppose that hypothetically a person lived in an HD wasteland, where OTA HD is a ways off. Said person is a big CSI fan and would very much like to get CBS HD service. One possibility is a gray-market Canadian subscription. Perhaps another possibility would be to "borrow" an address from a friend in a city with a CBS O&O station (that doesn't have waiver problems with a nearby affiliate) and subscribe via DISH Network using a DISH 6000.

Now again, I'm not saying anyone would ever do such a thing. But if any of you might have hypothetical experience with such a strategy, I'd really like to know.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

John Colombo

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Not going to say that my receiver "lived" at my parents address to get Phila locals. But yes it will work. I would also delete this thread. Call from you cell phone to activate/ change address.

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Well hypothetically my mom's address in metro Detroit doesn't qualify for CBS HD because of a POS CBS affiliate out of Toledo. WTOL doesn't bother to broadcast HD, but it can keep viewers in Detroit from getting the New York or LA CBS HD channel.

A viewer in New York or LA would be able to get WCBS HD or KCBS HD pretty easily, since it's local into local instead of an out of market station. Unfortunately, WABC-DT in New York was on top of One World Trade Center. Dish is rumored to be in negotiations with ABC for nationwide rebroadcast of ABC HD. Who knows where the East Coast feed will originate. Best of luck, if you decide to move across the country just to get HDTV off of satellite.

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, again, hypothetically speaking, a person in the Chicago Loop or south Chicago suburbs would be served by WBBM, a CBS O&O, and I think that the Milwaukee affiliate, which has waiver rights to north suburb folks, does not have such rights with respect to Loop dwellers.

But one would probably want to check that out thoroughly before moving one's address to such a spot.

John C.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
What about Dish installation? Suppose someone were to give an address where CBS HD is approved, what would an Dish installer say to putting in a dish at a different address - hypothetically?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Could you do the install yourself?

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
79 Posts
You know one day someone is going to put GPS hardware into the receiver. At some point the cost might be a non issue. Until then though....

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Murphy:
You know one day someone is going to put GPS hardware into the receiver. At some point the cost might be a non issue. Until then though....
Well, one day all of the locals may pass HDTV. I think GPS in receivers will happen at least 5 years before all the local stations decide to do a good job of being broadcasters (broadcast at the level of quality available from the network).

Now some good news for a change. For whatever reason, WTOL realized that they really don't do a good job of covering metro Detroit. My second request for a waiver was approved. I finally have CBS HD on my Dish 6000. Everybody Love Raymond looked pretty good. I can hardly wait to enjoy the thrilling performances and brilliant writing of the Young and the Restless tomorrow during my lunch break. Well, at least it should look stunning!

Jim

------------------

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nobody will get GPS installed in a receiver...that will add an unnecessary large cost increase to the hardware. It makes no sense to do something like that.

And yes, "hypothetically" speaking, that's how I get my locals and my CBS HD...I have a different billing address. There is no law that say you can't do that. It is not illegal, it is not against Dish Network's contract so there is no reason to delete this thread or hide it. All your locals are given to you based on what your billing address is.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Murphy:

------------------

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pericles:
Nobody will get GPS installed in a receiver...that will add an unnecessary large cost increase to the hardware. It makes no sense to do something like that.
Yep, not enough revenue at stake to make it worth it.

Quote:
And yes, "hypothetically" speaking, that's how I get my locals and my CBS HD...I have a different billing address. There is no law that say you can't do that. It is not illegal, it is not against Dish Network's contract so there is no reason to delete this thread or hide it. All your locals are given to you based on what your billing address is.
Actually, Dish allows you to have two a billing address and a Service address. Your locals, etc. are based on the service address, not the billing address. This is to allow you to have Dish Network at your summer house but have your bills sent to your primary house.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sdf777:
What about Dish installation? Suppose someone were to give an address where CBS HD is approved, what would an Dish installer say to putting in a dish at a different address - hypothetically?
One might self-install the dish, or one might have the dish installed at Address #1, activated at that address (so the retailer who sold the unit and the installer get their kickbacks and stay happy), and then "move" to Address #2. I don't think DISH requires professional installation at all, but they definitely don't require it for someone who has moved.

John C.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Never underestimate the ability of large corporations to deploy anti-consumer technology; check out this http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns9999452 article on using GPS to control electronic device distribution. How much would fighting a lawsuit from local broadcasters cost DISH or DirecTV? Perhaps enough for them to justify the cost of installing such gadgets.

Milton Henry

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am sorry but this is irrellevant. It is not in Dish Network's interest to implement something like this for several reasons:

1. Cost. GPS receivers are too expensive and adds too many technical questions to the table. What if the receiver can't get a GPS signal from the sattelite then what?

2. Not required. Hardware manufacturers most of the time will not implement costly devices if they are not required by law.

3. Revenue. In fact, Dish Network is getting more money from me because I am getting locals that I am not supposed to get than not getting the locals at all. Why would they mind extra revenue? They are not losing money by any means...

Quote:
Originally posted by MiltonH:
Never underestimate the ability of large corporations to deploy anti-consumer technology; check out this http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns9999452 article on using GPS to control electronic device distribution. How much would fighting a lawsuit from local broadcasters cost DISH or DirecTV? Perhaps enough for them to justify the cost of installing such gadgets.

Milton Henry

------------------

"I fear, from the experience of the last twenty-five years, that morals do not of necessity advance hand in hand with the sciences." --Thomas Jefferson to M. Correa de Serra, 1815. ME 14:331

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:
3. Revenue. In fact, Dish Network is getting more money from me because I am getting locals that I am not supposed to get than not getting the locals at all. Why would they mind extra revenue? They are not losing money by any means...
I think it's the local affiliates that are losing revenue, not Dish. They figure that you aren't watching network series on their channel, so you aren't watching their advertising. In fact, you're watching someone else's advertising so they lost money, right?

Dish can't do it because the FCC tells them that they can't in order to protect the local affiliates.

·
Registered
272 Posts
..and...what does this have to do with Dish adding GPS receivers in their hardware? Will the local affiliates pay for the GPS receiver? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

There was a rumor that Dish does check the caller ID info, however, i have outbound ID disabled on my phone lines. Again, there is always a way around...

Quote:
Originally posted by weldon:
I think it's the local affiliates that are losing revenue, not Dish. They figure that you aren't watching network series on their channel, so you aren't watching their advertising. In fact, you're watching someone else's advertising so they lost money, right?

Dish can't do it because the FCC tells them that they can't in order to protect the local affiliates.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Pericles (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
632 Posts
They do not use Caller ID, but ANI.

When you call can 800 number the person you are calling pays for the call. They also get your phone number thru the phone system - there is no way block it. * Its a different system from caller ID.

I do not know if they track it, but it is very easy to look to see if the address and area code match. It is getting harder to track it down farther just from the number because of phone number portability requirements being slowly implemented.

If you place your receiver at your cabin I would not plug in the phone line (if the cabin is in a different area code). Dish generally does not require the phone the be plugged in unless you are buying premium content (PPV, sports packages, etc).

BTW Almost anywhere in Denver is eligle for CBS-HD (E or W, though I think everybody can actually get either feed) plus a good set of locals. And 123 Main, Vail, CO 81657 is eligle for Out Of Market Networks while still in the Denver DMA.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I've hauled 2 DirecTV receivers between my 2 homes in Maine & Virginia (6 months each) for the past 6 years. The phone lines are plugged in and I've had no contact from DTV about the receiver being at the wrong address. Dish has too much to do than to worry about additional revenue coming in from CBS HD subscribers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do either of the dish companies use caller ID to track where the box is calling from? Can someone have a receiver for home and another for a lake place on the same bill so you can pay the extra $5 per month for the other receiver?

Just wondering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.