AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay bare with me here and for the purpose of this thread and conversation lets say that led/lcd did not have any of the current technology issues like

clouding

banding

flashlighting

slower input lag

And plasma did not have issuses such is

Breakin required

image retension

gets hotter than led

not as bright or as much pop color wise as an led

Both technologies are working perfectly as intended, with that bein said which technology would you prefer and WHY ???

Now clear your mind, imagine this perfect universe that i am talking bout and give me your answer boys hmm ..................

·
Registered
5 Posts
An extra s in your title. I tend to agree with the person who responded first, but I will indulge you.

They are exactly the same and I would get the one that is being manufactured. If all issues/weaknesses are removed they will be the same. Manufacturers will make the cheapest one; the one that has more plentiful resources, which is none because they are the same now. In the TV vs TV battle, I pick TV.

I don't mean to be a d*ck. It's just that the question is... poorly stated. I don't know what you want.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145
what is the point of this thread?

what is a plazma?

what does vss mean?

Wow just wow your second post without contributing anything to my thread, well i just got done watching nascar and having a few red bulls and vodka and did not realize i was in a spelling competition but just for you kind sir a fixed a few spelling mistakes

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil615
An extra s in your title. I tend to agree with the person who responded first, but I will indulge you.

They are exactly the same and I would get the one that is being manufactured. If all issues/weaknesses are removed they will be the same. Manufacturers will make the cheapest one; the one that has more plentiful resources, which is none because they are the same now. In the TV vs TV battle, I pick TV.

I don't mean to be a d*ck. It's just that the question is... poorly stated. I don't know what you want.

Well in my mind the point is quite simple rather then getting people like in other threads saying things like i dont want to deal with clouding so i am goin to get a plasma or i dont like the image retention or floating blacks so i will get a led,

Now if you take away current the problems each technology are not the Same, as i am sure all people will agree they both have distinct looks to them picture wise, led has a brighter picture with more pop and plasma has a more natural looking picture.

And this thread is to get people to state which picture technology they prefer in a perfect world taking away and not talking bout the negatives because in the perfect universe exsisting in this thread the negatives of each technology does Not exsist

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, when you put it that way, then LCD without ANY problems whatsoever, becomes the "perfect" technology, no?

Because if you take away all of the problems of each technology, then each should theoretically be able to produce the EXACT same picture. For instance, one of the drawbacks of LCD is that the blacks aren't quite to the level of plasma. Well, that could be construed as a "problem" with LCDs, which, in your fantasy universe, would not exist. Therefore, in your world, blacks on BOTH sets should look identical.

Likewise with color reproduction... on plasmas, apparently colors wash out or take on other hues when viewed in brightly lit rooms. This could be seen as a "problem" with plasma and therefore, in your universe, would not exist. So, now, in your world, plasma should have the same color reproduction capabilities as LCD.

But, how far do the differences between each technology in your fantasy universe become equal? Do plasmas all of a sudden consume less power to make them more like LCDs? Weigh less so that they come into line with LCDs? Become thinner so that they are more in line with LCDs?

Because if those are some of the only differences left, then LCD wins out... if the picture on each is identical, who wouldn't go for the one that weighs less and uses less power? (Unless it translated into a price difference that is... in which case, ya... it would be a bit of a trade off.)

However, if all negatives are removed from each technology, then what you're really saying is "all things become equal", so what choice is there then?

I'm not trying to sound negative or overly critical or anything.... just trying to sort out the logic behind the question.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fission
Well, when you put it that way, then LCD without ANY problems whatsoever, becomes the "perfect" technology, no?

Because if you take away all of the problems of each technology, then each should theoretically be able to produce the EXACT same picture. For instance, one of the drawbacks of LCD is that the blacks aren't quite to the level of plasma. Well, that could be construed as a "problem" with LCDs, which, in your fantasy universe, would not exist. Therefore, in your world, blacks on BOTH sets should look identical.

Likewise with color reproduction... on plasmas, apparently colors wash out or take on other hues when viewed in brightly lit rooms. This could be seen as a "problem" with plasma and therefore, in your universe, would not exist. So, now, in your world, plasma should have the same color reproduction capabilities as LCD.

But, how far do the differences between each technology in your fantasy universe become equal? Do plasmas all of a sudden consume less power to make them more like LCDs? Weigh less so that they come into line with LCDs? Become thinner so that they are more in line with LCDs?

Because if those are some of the only differences left, then LCD wins out... if the picture on each is identical, who wouldn't go for the one that weighs less and uses less power? (Unless it translated into a price difference that is... in which case, ya... it would be a bit of a trade off.)

However, if all negatives are removed from each technology, then what you're really saying is "all things become equal", so what choice is there then?

I'm not trying to sound negative or overly critical or anything.... just trying to sort out the logic behind the question.
Well damn and this is what i get for drinking and posting a thread as i see and it makes sense now where some of you are goin with this poorly stated thread lol, all i was basicly trying to do was ask whether people prefer the more natural look of a plasma or the brighter look of a lcd without getting the long laundry list of problems of each but which technology you prefer and why

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hypothetically if both types were totally free of any of the listed drawbacks, I'd say Plasma... and for only one simple reason: I visually prefer the look plasmas produce as opposed to LCD (and I own a Sony LCD). Plasma images seem more "comfortable" to my eyes and makes me want to watch TV for long periods of time. This really isn't something the average person will consider in a store.

Not to say the best LCDs don't also produce a great image. But after enjoying high definition movies on my brother's 3 year old Plasma (not even a top of the line model), I feel I'm missing something when I go back to watching my own LCD again.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_0002
Hypothetically if both types were totally free of any of the listed drawbacks, I'd say Plasma... and for only one simple reason: I visually prefer the look plasmas produce as opposed to LCD (and I own a Sony LCD). Plasma images seem more "comfortable" to my eyes and makes me want to watch TV for long periods of time. This really isn't something the average person will consider in a store.

Not to say the best LCDs don't also produce a great image. But after enjoying high definition movies on my brother's 3 year old Plasma (not even a top of the line model), I feel I'm missing something when I go back to watching my own LCD again.

thanks vic as this was the civil, level headed, response that this thread was intended too get

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETERNIA FOREVER
thanks vic as this was the civil, level headed, response that this thread was intended too get
Wow, I'm sorry for bringing my unlevel-headedness and incivility into this thread....

Guess that's what I get for using logic.

I'll leave you to your wildly popular discussion.

/sarcasm

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fission
Wow, I'm sorry for bringing my unlevel-headedness and incivility into this thread....

Guess that's what I get for using logic.

I'll leave you to your wildly popular discussion.

/sarcasm

Oh s*** when i responded to your comment i thought i put in a sentence thanking you for your contribution to this thread as well,. Myy bad an thanks very much my friend for your comment

Nott bein sarcastic

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_0002

The problem now is what are the factors in the plasma pics that they are more "comfortable" for the eyes? As somebody said, in an ideal world it should be possible to set both LCD and plasma to look identical. However this is not so and among the reasons one can speculate this:

1. Plasma provide warmer pics - reason behind is different spectral characteristics of plasma RGB emitters vs. LCD RGB color filters. Plasma emitters are more wideband with residual wavelength, LCD filters more narrow. To see this point more clearly imagine display in which colors are made by three spectrally pure RGB laser beams, according to what we say, this should look more LCD than plasma

2. Plasma whites are not pure, a kind of greyish which makes pics softer, LCD whites are blasting which is more tiring

Any comments or/and other factors to list?

·
Registered
124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck /forum/post/20764569

The problem now is what are the factors in the plasma pics that they are more "comfortable" for the eyes? As somebody said, in an ideal world it should be possible to set both LCD and plasma to look identical. However this is not so and among the reasons one can speculate this:

1. Plasma provide warmer pics - reason behind is different spectral characteristics of plasma RGB emitters vs. LCD RGB color filters. Plasma emitters are more wideband with residual wavelength, LCD filters more narrow. To see this point more clearly imagine display in which colors are made by three spectrally pure RGB laser beams, according to what we say, this should look more LCD than plasma

2. Plasma whites are not pure, a kind of greyish which makes pics softer, LCD whites are blasting which is more tiring

Any comments or/and other factors to list?

I would add that using phosphers, while having some technologocal drawbacks, does help plamas get that "smooth movement" I enjoy. Thats what I see missing in LCDs, which to my eyes look more "digitized"....

But good points you brought up... You're right, they definately do not look identical. That's why I feel you can't properly pit the 2 types of TVs against each other based on just black level and color measurements because regardless of the measured levels of blackness, colors or brightness, they will always produce 2 different types of pictures. LCDs will produce LCD pictures and Plasmas will produce Plasma pictures irrespective of anything else. So for the buyer it just comes down to personal taste.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/0

Don't you agree that whites look different on a Plasma(softer analogish look)/LCd (harder,sharper digitalish look)?

It's not the white. The whole picture is softer due to the inherent difference between the tech. D65 white is same for both LCD and plasma but luma likely higher, as usual.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.