AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a d50 that is blurry, however I have not seen it. I'm trying to speculate what blurry means. from what I understand the tubes are not burned, the set is just blurry.... I speculate that I could swap the tubes for the d50 I have with burnt tubes. What could be wrong with a blurry set? (I realize this could be a long list)

I'll start off by listing what I know.

The ES focus could be shot on all three tubes, or the set could just be mal adjusted.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
It could be fungus, convergence misadjusted, or bad tubes.

Power it up, look into the lenses with sunglasses. If you see a clear image in each tube, and no wear (sunglasses off, set off) on the tube face, then it should be a good buy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is fungus? I can't really look before buying... of course unless I want to drive a 3 hour distance twice... it does look like it will be cheap though. Ive gotten him to look down the tubes with the brightness and contrast down and he says he does not see any discoloration on the tubes, but that the picture is fuzzy ( even when looking directly at the tubes) I assume this means the tubes have a lower hour count, as the d50s run their tubes hard, and it would be quite the trick to get to a point where the es focus is going bad and yet the tubes remain unburned. again this is second hand information. I couldn't get an hour count out of him even though I provided instructions. (I assume its either too blury or he didn't want to spend the time looking for it).

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodster /forum/post/18293618

what is fungus? I can't really look before buying... of course unless I want to drive a 3 hour distance twice... it does look like it will be cheap though. Ive gotten him to look down the tubes with the brightness and contrast down and he says he does not see any discoloration on the tubes, but that the picture is fuzzy ( even when looking directly at the tubes) I assume this means the tubes have a lower hour count, as the d50s run their tubes hard, and it would be quite the trick to get to a point where the es focus is going bad and yet the tubes remain unburned. again this is second hand information. I couldn't get an hour count out of him even though I provided instructions. (I assume its either too blury or he didn't want to spend the time looking for it).

Does the dude have a digital?

First thing my girlfriend said when she saw my dwin... "why's it all blurry?"

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Fungus is t=just that uninvited colony of flora in the tubes...or it could just be that it is not setup. mis converged or just plain owner is a moron?!

Good luck

Martin

·
Registered
9,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodster /forum/post/18303511

fascinating, does this happen often? what are the chances it would happen to all three tubes?

Fungus usually only shows up on one tube, but it could be on all three, but that would be rare. Although a version of the tube type that suffers from fungus are used in the D50, I've never seen it on them, I've only seen it on the Electrohome ECP tubes, although it's possible. It seems to be caused by a chemical reaction to the raw metal used in the face frame....which should be powder coated black. The D50 uses a different front face type.

Unlike the method of removed the glass, cleaning and re-siliconing the glass back on, which is a PITA, there is a better way of doing it without removing the glass. However, I think it's MORE LIKELY that the tubes, which are electrostatic focus, are just worn out and just can't focus sharp anymore. I had many D50s where the tubes had NO WEAR you could see on the face, but just can no longer be focused sharp....especially as the contrast is brought up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts