AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was to buy in wall speakers and build a box to mount them in instead of in the wall would they be equivalent to bookshelf speakers? Would they soundgood if I properly tuned the box?

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Why not just buy bookshelf speakers?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like nxg products. They don't make bookshelf speakers though. The specs on their speakers look good and the speakers them selfs look good.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I will shoot him a pm.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
You're welcome

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3forlife  /t/1526039/hypothetical-question#post_24573512

Would they soundgood if I properly tuned the box?
Perhaps, but you have to know how to properly tune the cab.
Quote:
Thank you! I will shoot him a pm.
I don't do PMs. If I did I wouldn't have time left over to do anything else.
Quote:
I really like nxg products...The specs on their speakers look good and the speakers them selfs look good.
I looked all over their site, did not see any specs. I suspect you're not aware of what specs are required for matching drivers with enclosures:
http://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3forlife  /t/1526039/hypothetical-question#post_24573512

If I was to buy in wall speakers and build a box to mount them in instead of in the wall would they be equivalent to bookshelf speakers? Would they soundgood if I properly tuned the box?

I can't test this theory because of lack of information, but if I was designing speakers for in-wall mounting, they would be designed for infinite baffles which basically means no enclosure, just a really large baffle board.

That means that the box that they are designed for is huge, and what you want to do verges on being impractical.

I also know that speaker design is not an exact science and there is latitude in these things. People do mount speakers designed for infinite baffles in boxes.

My tendency is to side with the people who think that if you want speakers in boxes, you might do well to start out with speakers in boxes, not what the in-wall people give you which is mostly a driver on a mounting ring.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never said the specs were for an enclosure. The specs for frequency response and such. It's listed under the description of each speaker. I have heard it is a bad idea to do but I really like their speakers. I will side with caution and not do it. Thanks for the responses

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3forlife  /t/1526039/hypothetical-question#post_24575290

I never said the specs were for an enclosure. The specs for frequency response and such. It's listed under the description of each speaker. I have heard it is a bad idea to do but I really like their speakers.
I don't see anything all that special about them. As for the 'specs' which they do post, take those with a truckload of salt unless accompanied by measured SPL charts. That applies to all manufacturers, not just NXG.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts