AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Klipsch sub-12 on sale last week for $290 + tax (CAD) during the week and I like the performance but after doing a bunch of reading I'm afraid there's something better for around the same price or a little bit more (by more I mean $50).

The max. I'm looking to spend is $400 tax in, or $350 + tax.

I'd rather not buy online because I don't want to pay the freight to ship to Canada.

I was thinking about the PB10 NSD from an SVS distributor close by but it's almost $600 and I'm not looking to spend that much.

I have a bunch of gift cards for FS in Canada and I know the Manager so I know I can get the following and stay within my budget:

Energy ESW-V8

Klipsch RPW-10

Velodyne DLS-3750R

Klipsch RW10D

Room: 14 x 12 x 8 (Apt)

Reciever: AVR146

Fronts: Paradigm Mini Monitor

Center: Paradigm CC-170

Rears: Paradigm Atoms

Size Contraint: 16 W

Use: 70% TV&Movies/ 30% Music

I like clean sound, and I can't really listen to it to loud because I'm in an apt.

I basically have another 25 days before I have to decide.

Any advice?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just an FYI for $300usd you can get a 15" driver, wood, port and 240 watt plate amp that will tune to 20hz. That includes shipping too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not really sure about the exchange rate but you could get a Def Tech 1000 for $300usd if you have a authorized dealer that WILL work with you. I am not sure how they compare but I think the Def Tech is a pretty good sub for that price. I am thinking about getting a DT supercube II for an extra $250...it took a little hassling as the price is not supposed to go down on them but with the economy people need business.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I was making a decision close to your range recently (I wanted to peak at $500ish).

If you can push your budget up a bit go to several local Paradigm dealers (you're in Montreal, right?) and ask for their best price on a DSP-3100. It lists at $569 ($10 less then the PB10 at SonicBoom), but there's no delivery and dealers discount from MSRP (the two in Calgary offered me 15% and 20%, so I got it for $455 + tax).

If you can push the budget, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry if I'm slightly highjacking this thread but I think that my post is more useful here.

I'm almost done setting up my budget HT setup and the only thing I'm missing is a sub. (skipping surrounds for now)

Setup: Pio-1018, Polk RTi4's as fronts and a CSiA4 center.

Room: 12 x 10 x 8 (~1000^3)

Budget: ~$350CAD including taxes, shipping, etc (the lower the better, I'm on a university student budget
)

Primary use: 60% HT, 20% Movies, 20% Gaming

Being Canadian like the OP, we get the shaft on available brands and prices. I did a lot of research and here's the possible options I found:

Klipsch Sub-12: $340CAD, it's getting nice overall reviews but could a 12'' driver be overkill for such a small room?

Mirage Omni S8: $315CAD, I couldn't find alot of reviews but most people seem to like it, might be a more suitable option for my needs. Mirage is the same compagny as Energy and I heard their subs are quite similar.

PA-120: The good old trusted PA-120, importing something to Canada via UPS is like playing Russian Roulette, I'd expect at least 50$ of duty fees bringing the total cost to around $425CAD wich is kinda over my budget.

Any other recommendations? Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty50 /forum/post/15582062

Sorry if I'm slightly highjacking this thread but I think that my post is more useful here.

I'm almost done setting up my budget HT setup and the only thing I'm missing is a sub. (skipping surrounds for now)

Setup: Pio-1018, Polk RTi4's as fronts and a CSiA4 center.

Room: 12 x 10 x 8 (~1000^3)

Budget: ~$350CAD including taxes, shipping, etc (the lower the better, I'm on a university student budget
)

Primary use: 60% HT, 20% Movies, 20% Gaming

Being Canadian like the OP, we get the shaft on available brands and prices. I did a lot of research and here's the possible options I found:

Klipsch Sub-12: $340CAD, it's getting nice overall reviews but could a 12'' driver be overkill for such a small room?

Mirage Omni S8: $315CAD, I couldn't find alot of reviews but most people seem to like it, might be a more suitable option for my needs. Mirage is the same compagny as Energy and I heard their subs are quite similar.

PA-120: The good old trusted PA-120, importing something to Canada via UPS is like playing Russian Roulette, I'd expect at least 50$ of duty fees bringing the total cost to around $425CAD wich is kinda over my budget.

Any other recommendations? Thanks a lot for your help.

Skip the Omni S8, it would take something much more expensive to get good performance from an 8 inch subwoofer. Think Sunfire, that means a lot more money.

There is no reason to avoid a 12 inch subwoofer. Either of those you menioned should be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just found out that I could get the Velodyne DLS-4000R 12" Sub for $400 tax in.

I kind of like this sub because it has the remote and would also be programmable to my Harmony.

This means I would be spending $70 more than originally planned but would it be worth it?

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMEN /forum/post/15583191

I just found out that I could get the Velodyne DLS-4000R 12" Sub for $400 tax in.

I kind of like this sub because it has the remote and would also be programmable to my Harmony.

This means I would be spending $70 more than originally planned but would it be worth it?

I find that a remote controlled subwoofer very useful and worth the extra $70 to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended finding a pretty killer deal on a new s10.3 for
It was too good a deal to pass up so I picked it up and returned the sub-12.

It's perfect for my room and it goes suprisingly low for a 10" driver.

I really like the gain control on the front opposed to the back.

When I move into a bigger place I'll start looking at the "premium" brands that many suggest in these forums.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMEN /forum/post/15609350

When I move into a bigger place I'll start looking at the "premium" brands that many suggest in these forums.

That sub was $650.00 Canadian just over a year ago. It's a quality unit and at that price, a steal. I think it's been replaced with a new design, so they were clearing it.

I'm enjoying mine very much. In a smallish theater it does a very good job.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Jaymen,

Could you send me a copy of your S10.3 sub receipt (scratch off any sensitive info)? I bought a demo S10.3 for 185$+tax. No power light and the grill is a bit damaged. And I don't feel it's worth 185$+ tax. If I have your receipt I can negotiate with them for lower price. I love the this sub very much. If you can send me a copy to [email protected] .

Thanks a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMEN /forum/post/15609350

1 - 12 of 12 Posts