AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, last week I repositioned my ceiling mount in anticipation of the arrival of the Panamorph. It was a real pain due to my ceiling joists at that point.

Well today I put together my GrayHawk, brought the HTPC and my Dish 6000 down to the HT and placed the projector on the mounts. I then plugged the HTPC into the VGA cable and I went over to plug the projector in...

Remember on Back to the Future when he had to connect the two power lines and they were not quite long enough??

Yep you guessed it. My cables wouldn't reach since I moved the projector back another 6". http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

It then occured to me that when I installed those cables, I had pretty close tolerances. Due to the installation of the cables, there wasn't much room to spare and when I tugged on them a bit, they didn't budge. I almost cried. Then I threw a good sized tantrum. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

Well I spent about 15 minutes doing short quick strong tugs on the cables and I was able to barely get enough slack to plug these puppies in.

It is still tighter than I would have liked it, but it worked.

I will post some impressions tomorrow when I get a chance to write more.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cain.

It actually is fine. I got my two shortest cables. The VGA to VGA and the VGA to 5BNC to reach. My wife told me that she hopes that I am not as emotionally involved with my next big project as I am with this one. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

BTW, the picture is great on the GrayHawk. The blacks look really good too. I really need to adjust this guy with Dilard and AVIA so I can get the right picture quality.

The funny thing is that I don't have any sound capabilities down in the HT right now and I have spent at least 3 hours today watching various DVDs and the HDTV demo loop in complete silence. I still had a big smile on my face.

I had about 5 friends come over two and we all sat in silence enjoying the picture quality and size. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Whoa. You were scaring me for a minute...

To come all this way and be 6" short would have definitely ruined your weekend. Glad to hear you are up and running.

If you get the chance, share some pix with us all...well, after you get the audio hooked up, of course.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am considering purchasing an Olympus 460z camera so I can share pics. Monday they start installing the accoustic treatments. It will be awesome.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A cable stretcher? What do they look like? how do they work?

Thx,

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope sorry I am alergic to snipe feathers.

As for the steam... How much are you offering? How many cubic feet per minute of steam does your bucket produce? Is it wood or aluminum? Is it gas or electric? I am considering making my HT a steam room too.

As for the left handed monkey wrench. I already bought one of those last year. It has been the best $6345.32 that I have ever spent.

Cameron

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cameron (edited 05-22-2001).]

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
.."As for the left handed monkey wrench. I already bought one of those last year. It has been the best $6345.32 that I have ever spent...."

LOL!! ROFLMAO!!! You are a good sport Cameron..

-- Cain

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aw shucks.

Well believe it or not, when I was working as a fiber optics technician we had a winch like device that was called a cable stretcher. It really didn't stretch the cable, it just pulled it on really long and heavy underground runs. It also had a slipper clutch that was adjustable so you wouldn't damage the cable on a run.

For a brief moment I thought that perhaps there was a similar smaller manual type of item that could be bought that would be better than me tugging on the darn buggers. I now realize that my small sparkle of hope was really a black hole downward spiraling into an ever darkening universe.

Now how's that for drama?

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK I feel stupid now.

------------------

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Cameron,

I've been there on both counts.

It's amazing how satisfying a silent picture can be when you are watching a new setup of your D-ILA -- especially if its been a long frustrating day of wrestling with a 30lb projector, mounting holes, and fished cables.

And, yes, I also followed the old adage about "measuring twice and cutting once" only to find I should have measured at least three or four times ! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif When purchasing my second set of cables, I chickened out and ordered 3 feet longer than I knew I needed.

It's a shame you are allergic to snipe feathers -- they make a perfect sound absorber in a hushbox. I had a devil of a time finding enough of them for mine.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I may be facing the same problem when I get my projector as I ran stock 25' cables across the ceiling from the projector location to the EQ rack and they look like they will JUST (MAYBE) be long enough. I was too cheap to special order 30 footers. I did run a big conduit into a "box" above the projector, so if the worst happens, I can run additional cables.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.