AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached you'll see my expected finished basement. Instead of in wall speakers (like the pictures), I want in the ceiling speakers. Now I already have ceiling speakers in my family room upstairs that Guardian installed when I built my home. I only have 2 Klipsch speakers (I could have gotten Bose but these sounded similar and were a couple hundred cheaper) and it sounds pretty good (no other audio equipment, so I guess the speakers themselves are the "total package" tweeters and woofers). The entire area (TV viewing and bar) is about 900 sq ft (30x30). How many speakers will I need (will 4 due?) and any recommendations out there? Will be playing music and movies obviously so I would like something that sounds good. I'd rather not break the bank so maybe $250-$500 per pair? Again, looking for total package type speakers if that makes sense.

Or if there's any feedback on speakers with woofer combo, then I'm game.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,802 Posts
I would not use ceiling speakers for the front left, right and center

speakers. Also, there are better choices than Bose. For 5.1 - you

need 3 for the front, 2 for side surrounds - you can get away with

ceiling speakers for surrounds. You need a good subwoofer for rich

deep bass. Do you have your Blu-ray player and surround receiver?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19638500

deep bass. Do you have your Blu-ray player and surround receiver?

Looking for more feedback here. Why not ceiling speakers? I want something nice and clean that doesn't clutter up the area. Technically I don't have anything purchased yet (DVD, receiver included). I'm basically building from the ground up here.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19638500

deep bass.

This post was good advice.

I don't think anyone will recommend ceiling speakers for the front. I sure would not use them. Bose are junk, so that will not be recommended either.

Go to vanns.com and look at the energy rc line. They are hard to beat and in your price range.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
In ceiling speakers aren't recommended because size and directionality are primary concerns for good sound. If you demand hidden speakers, a false wall is probably the best and most expensive solution in terms of money, resources and real estate. Next would be in-wall and Totem Tribes are probably the coolest in wall speakers I've ever seen, though they are $2,000 per pair. Triad makes good in wall designs as well. I'm not sure what they cost. The cheapest solution for quality sound will always be free standing boxes. At $500/pr the Infinity p363 is a very good speaker.

·
Registered
19,802 Posts
To make it simple, when go to a movie theater - the sound is not

coming from the ceiling. Do you want an illusion, or something more

natural like when watching a movie? Do you want the sound to draw

your attention away from the screen? For surround channels it is not

that big a deal for surround effects.

If you want something small - then go to www.crutchfield.com and

look at the Definitive ProCinema 1000 system. Go to www.ac4l.com

or www.amazon.com and look at the KEF kht2005.3 system.

In Wall up front is better than In Ceiling - www.bostonacoustics.com

and look at the In Wall speakers. Go to www.htd.com and look at their

flat panel speakers.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
How high are the ceilings...7 1/2'...8'? Are you doing stereo or surround?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 034runner /forum/post/19640693

Looking for more feedback here. Why not ceiling speakers? I want something nice and clean that doesn't clutter up the area. Technically I don't have anything purchased yet (DVD, receiver included). I'm basically building from the ground up here.

Z gave you great advice. What you have to decide is do you care what it sounds like or is the primary consideration hiding the speakers? Generally speaking the smaller and more invisible the speakers less capable they are likely to be. In addition the left and right speakers need to have their tweeters at ear level, and the center needs to be aimed at ear level - which eliminates in-ceiling up front. What you may be able to do is go with is in-wall speakers for the front three. That's outside my area of expertise but it is an option - however you will still need a subwoofer large enough to fill the entire space.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess what I'm looking for is good sound when watching a movie but I also want to be able to sit at the bar in the back and put music on and it not sound so distant. I assume the rear speakers would be put up by the soffit (where the pillar is) and pointed forward. I'm just afraid if music plays through that, then it won't sound good in the bar area.

·
Registered
19,802 Posts
Get a receiver with zone 2, so you can set up music in the back.

For 5.1 - the surrounds are on the sides, and for 7.1 - 2 more

speakers are put behind the seating area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/19640935

How high are the ceilings...7 1/2'...8'? Are you doing stereo or surround?

They'll be close to 8 ft...I'd like surround for the TV viewing area with capabilities of listening to music if we're just in the bar area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So if I understand what the pros would do here in lieu of standing speakers, pick up 5 in wall speakers for the TV viewing area (4 base and 1 center channel? Or 2 base, 1 center channel, 2 speakers that are "adjustable" and can be pointed toward the viewer since I have nowhere to put the rear 2 if they are flush and need to be pointed at the viewer. Or how about using ceiling speakers for rear left and rear right?).

Then pick up a pair of ceiling speakers for the bar area for music. Wire the in walls to Zone 1 on the receiver and wire the in ceilings to Zone 2 of the receiver? If I do that, can I play the same music through everything or only through one zone at a time?

Thanks again for the help, I told you I'm a dum dum on this stuff.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19641117

Get a receiver with zone 2, so you can set up music in the back.

For 5.1 - the surrounds are on the sides, and for 7.1 - 2 more

speakers are put behind the seating area.

More excellent advice. Use the second zone for music at the bar.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You can use in ceiling speakers for surrounds if you must. Surrounds are less of an issue than the front stage. Most multi-zone receivers can be used with the same source, different sources, or one zone at a time.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19640926

To make it simple, when go to a movie theater - the sound is not

coming from the ceiling. Do you want an illusion, or something more

natural like when watching a movie? Do you want the sound to draw

your attention away from the screen?

This is absolutely true and good advice. You'd be surprised at how wrong it is to be watching a movie and have the sounds NOT come from where your brain expects them to come from. Imagine two characters having a conversation. You see their lips move but their voices come from somewhere off screen, out of sight and up high.

You'd think that maybe you'd adjust but you won't. It's like watching a silent movie with someone talking loud in another part of the house. Just distracting and disconnected from the movie experience. You won't like it.

It's probably possible to have speakers mounted in ceiling nacelles that would allow them to be pointed toward the viewing seats. That would be only a little better but not enough better to make it worth doing. You look at the screen and expect most of the sound to be coming from where you're looking. Anything else will be a distortion of how your senses are programmed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.