AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello guys, I recently got a new TV and was considering getting a sound system for my living room to use with them. Here are pictures of the living room (sorry for the Subway bag lol):

Now, I don't believe I could classify myself as an audiophile, but mostly because I don't have the budget for it, because I do enjoy good sound quality. My budget is around 300~ dollars. I was considering getting the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set ( http://www.cnet.com/products/energy-take-classic-5-1/ ) or the Monoprice 8247 set ( http://www.cnet.com/products/monoprice-8247/ ). However, after reading around, I've seen people suggest getting a 2.1 or 3.0 system and start expanding on that. I will mostly use it for gaming, as seen by the consoles and watching Blu Ray movies and Netflix. What would be your suggestions? 

Also, on a different note, I've heard people get A/V receivers and some other fancy stuff, will I need that? Or are the speakers all I would need?

Thanks in advanced guys!

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
you either need:

1. A receiver/amplifier

2. Powered speakers

So if you went with the Energy Take classic, you need a way to power them. A 5.1 reciever is the best way to go, and that will add 150-10,000 dollars to your budget!
I haven't heard of a whole lot of powered 5.1 system and you would still need some sort of sound processor.

The best way to go might be an entry level AV receiver (150-200 dollars) and then a nice set of bookshelf speakers (2.0).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip  /t/1524700/i-am-a-sound-system-noob...ice-photos-of-the-room-included#post_24541177

Thumbs up for kerokerocola and super mario rpg
haha! Thanks! Mario RPG rocks! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1524700/i-am-a-sound-system-noob...ice-photos-of-the-room-included#post_24541181

you either need:

1. A receiver/amplifier

2. Powered speakers

So if you went with the Energy Take classic, you need a way to power them. A 5.1 reciever is the best way to go, and that will add 150-10,000 dollars to your budget!
I haven't heard of a whole lot of powered 5.1 system and you would still need some sort of sound processor.

The best way to go might be an entry level AV receiver (150-200 dollars) and then a nice set of bookshelf speakers (2.0).
Damn. I figured I could have just plugged them to the wall? Goes to show you how much I know about this. Are there any speakers you would suggest? I wouldn't the sound to be "empty" if that is clear enough. I would like to get a "filled room" feeling. Do you understand what I mean? It's such a weird explanation lol

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroKeroCola  /t/1524700/i-am-a-sound-system-noob...ice-photos-of-the-room-included#post_24541236

haha! Thanks! Mario RPG rocks!

Damn. I figured I could have just plugged them to the wall? Goes to show you how much I know about this. Are there any speakers you would suggest? I wouldn't the sound to be "empty" if that is clear enough. I would like to get a "filled room" feeling. Do you understand what I mean? It's such a weird explanation lol

Filling the room is a good description.

Speaking of that, how big is the room and do you have a Fry's near you?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6  /t/1524700/i-am-a-sound-system-noob...ice-photos-of-the-room-included#post_24541258

Filling the room is a good description.

Speaking of that, how big is the room and do you have a Fry's near you?
Room is about 10-15' long x 8-12' wide. Haven't measured it exactly, but I can give you a more accurate size tonight. And I don't have a Fry's close sadly.

·
Registered
19,833 Posts

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
You can get a pair of powered speakers, like the audioengine A2/A5 or Emotiva active speakers and then all you have to do is plug into a 3 mm jack and plug the speakers into the wall. You won't have surround sound, but you will have "way better than TV Speaker" sound...controlling volume from a far can be an issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci  /t/1524700/i-am-a-sound-system-noob...ice-photos-of-the-room-included#post_24541516

It helps to know what country you're in.
Woops, sorry. Puerto Rico.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1524700/i-am-a-sound-system-noob...ice-photos-of-the-room-included#post_24541594

You can get a pair of powered speakers, like the audioengine A2/A5 or Emotiva active speakers and then all you have to do is plug into a 3 mm jack and plug the speakers into the wall. You won't have surround sound, but you will have "way better than TV Speaker" sound...controlling volume from a far can be an issue.
I'll check those out.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Start with a receiver and 2 speakers if you want to enjoy in the future a surround sound ,then later add the rest of the speakers ,if you don't mind about surround sound you can get two monitors .

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
If you have a problem with shipping to P.R ,I bet that you have family here lol ,send the speakers and reciever to a family and they send it to you.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
The energy take are a decent speakers system ,better than a bose system but don't expect really big sound, you cant cheat physics when it comes to sound ,but this system will satisfied anyone at that budget.

accessories4less receivers are usually factory refurbish with warranty but because of that you get the receiver at a cheaper price ,I bought my Marantz receiver and Marantz blue ray player from accessories4less.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1524700/i-am-a-sound-system-noob...ice-photos-of-the-room-included#post_24541181

Agreed.

This is the best way to go. From 2.0, go to 2.1 and add a sub. Then 3.1, and finally the surrounds after that.

Know that the front three speakers should timbre match, which generally means when adding a center channel, you either need the exact same as the front left/right, or the center channel that the manufacturer makes to go with them. So don't pick something for your first pair of speakers that you can't easily get a center channel for

1 - 17 of 17 Posts