AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen this movie on the british making of a jet engine to be capable of breaking the Sound Barrier, but movies name escapes me, a Father and her family were devestated by the death of her husband trying to break the sound barrier, another man took over and in time broke the sound barrier, If you know the name of this movie please list it on this thread. I would like to know if it's on DVD or not yet on DVD. I have exausted all searches for the past 2 days trying to come with the name. TIA

The Sound Barrier, but is on a 2 for(Hobsons's Choice) $25 US used pric for used disc from the UK---Salmoneous had it down pact, thanks.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Hmmm. These searches are always tough. Let's see what we know. It's a movie about a guy trying to break The Sound Barrier. So you might start by doing a search on The Sound Barrier on google or google groups. Or you could just start over at IMDB and see if they have any movies about breaking The Sound Barrier. I know it's tough, but hopefully you'll find it in the end.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure it came out in 1952 and stared Ralph Richardson, Ann Todd and Nigel Patrick. Sadly, it doesn't appear to be out on DVD.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I remember X-15, which starred Charles Bronson, I believe. But that was American, not British. And, I think Salmoneous is teasing you a bit!! :)

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
No.I think he's onto something,though I can't remember the name either.Of course you have to remember the history is all wrong.By the time the events of the movie happened Chuck Yaeger had already broke the sound barrier but for some strange reason the military kept it top secret so it was the british that ended up geting credit for it

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lonwolf615 If you look up at my subect first post you can see that it was edited at 5:35PM and you posted at 8:03PM. Since you don't seem to read the subject post 'fully' before you post this may be an eye opener for you.

"The Sound Barrier, but is on a 2 for(Hobsons's Choice) $25 US used pric for used disc from the UK---Salmoneous had it down pact, thanks." Notice I typoed the word price to pric, when I cut, copied, and pasted this for your reply. I always read the subject post fully before I reply.:)

P.S. Here's a good read on Breaking the Sound Barrier the year I was born!
http://popularmechanics.com/science/...er/print.phtml

·
Registered
977 Posts
John,

This is a very famous David Lean picture, directed well before he did The Bridge Over the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia. I saw it in a theatre about twenty years ago, and have wondered if it will ever get a decent treatment here in Region 1.

If you get the UK version that's available, please let me know your thoughts after viewing!:)

Howie

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Howie I hope you read that article on Chuck Yeager I put on for lonwolf, I had no idea that Mr.Yeager broke the sound barrier the year I was born.

Checking into the 2 fer I found these facts number 1 the USA version you and I seen was 109 minutes, while the version found on this '2 for' is 118 minutes. UK Region 2 Brand new is £13.98 which converts to $25+ shipping and a 5 day wait for Amazon.UK to get it from their distributor to send it out to you, I don't know why they don't just use 'dropshipping'(Dropshipping is having the manufacturer send the product to your buyer with your return address on it) it would save a few days wait. As I understand it this film has some valuable World War 2 clips mated to the transfer, maybe Howie the clips were never shown in the USA relaese

Also Known As:

Breaking Through the Sound Barrier (1952) (USA) (promotional title)

Breaking the Sound Barrier (1952) (USA)

Runtime: UK:118 min / USA:109 min

Language: English

Color: Black and White

Sound Mix: Mono

Certification: Finland:S / Sweden:Btl

SOUND BARRIER...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Comments:

Jim Atkins

Twentynine Palms, California

Date: 7 November 2003

Summary: Excellent film, technically ludicrous

This is an outstanding film about the human cost of progress and obsession. Richardson is great as the aviation mogul willing to pay the necessary price for reaching new realms and new worlds. Historically and technically, the film is so out in left field but in the total issues raised and the fine performances make Sound Barrier a winner. The aerial photography is outstanding, and there is one shot from below the nose of the Comet airliner that perfectly emphasises the sleek lines of that most beautiful jet. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ralph Richardson was a wonderful actor, a great asset to British Cinema. Although I have never seen this movie, I have seen most, growing up as a child in Nottingham, you get plenty of re-runs of old UK movies..:)

Ps: Pity you dont' have a friend in the UK that could ship the movie over to you, they do great bargains on these type of movies in most stores eg: Virgin, WHSmith, HMV etc! And shipping would not be as expensive, one would think!

Mark

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just a note re Amazon in the UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...520340-4442026 - their prices quoted always include the local VAT (tax) which is NOT added to overseas purchases. I bought a few Region 2 DVDs and was pleasantly surprised that the items full cost including postage was actually less than the listed price. :D

I enjoyed Hobsons Choice too :)

p.s. Hi SmithMK, nice to see a fellow Adelaidean here :)

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I own some R2 and about 480 R4 as the Brits want so friggin much for their pound sterling and the aussies have a fair price, since both of them are PAL. My chief complaint is because "The Sound Barrier" is a 118 minute movie by itself it doesn't no comedy on with it to sell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.