AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I dont know any specific thread but start with your set and read up, and continue to read, read, read, it took me a while but at the end I figure it out..

The best way for you to calibrate and understand also will be getting a disk like AVIA that actually talks you through in explaining what to do..

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Definitely start with AVIA, it has a few flaws, but being hard to use is not one of them (especially compared to the competition). Once you've gotten the hang of using AVIA, then you may want to peruse my calibration How-To:

http://www.calman.tv/graphics/calibration_howto_v1.pdf

After that, definitely read a lot and ask lots of questions!

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The Monster Cable/ISF calibration disc is also a good place to start for the basic test patterns.

The instructions are a little bit too straight forward ... and the girl providing them is pleasant to the eyes.

This disc will help you get brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and even a bit of geometry right.

Regards

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got the NTSC version of DVE, but am thinking I should of gotten the ATSC.

I still have SD cable and I recently hooked up an OTA antenna, so I get the free HDTV channels in the Las Vegas area as well as my SD cable. I have a progressive scan DVD player.

Will the NTSC version of DVE calibrate my JVC HDP61R1U good enough and also help the digital signal? Before I open up the DVD, would it be better to have the ATSC version?

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/0

Greetings

The Monster Cable/ISF calibration disc is also a good place to start for the basic test patterns.

The instructions are a little bit too straight forward ... and the girl providing them is pleasant to the eyes.

This disc will help you get brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and even a bit of geometry right.

Regards

With these DVD's; what will I need other the my fingers for pushing buttons on the remote? Will it be more thurough then using the THX optimizer on some DVD's? Is getting into the service mode required?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The monster disc only works with the user controls ... (mostly)

It's like the THX optimizer ... just better. Ideally ... the THX patterns are not meant for TV in general ... just what the image looks like on the disc the pattern is found. Different THX modes on different discs may give different results.

If you use it on a Star Wars disc ... it is only optimal for that Star Wars disc ... and not your copy of Superman Returns.

Regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Software of choice ... it varies. Many to choose from.

AVIA ... DVE ... Getgray ... MonsterISF ... and the list goes on. Each one has different strengths and weaknesses.

Regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Just follow the instructions.

It won't give you things like service menu codes though ...

Regards

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:

Greetings

Just follow the instructions.

It won't give you things like service menu codes though ...

Regards

I Know how to get into the service menu (thanks to this forum) will it go into the steps on calibrating it?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Just the basics ... nothing more. It is not meant for more ... when it comes to instructions.

The other patterns are thrown in for people that already know how to use them ... (bonus)

Basics ...

Setting Contrast ... brightness ... color ... tint ... sharpness ...

Regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

You won't get much help from JVC since the TV pretty much meets factory spec ... unless it is broken.

Marketing of a TV set has nothing to do with accuracy. It has everything to do with selling more TVs.

What more do you want from a calibration disc? It helps you do the basics and the basics are all that are available in the user controls.

Your set can't do anymore beyond grayscale adjustments in the service menu ... and that is that.

You want higer performance ... then you have to hire a pro to use these same parameters ... difference is ... they know where to set them and you don't. Time versus $$ ... the eternal struggle. Cost of your time to learn all this versus the cost to have them do it for you with the proper tools.

Regards

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:

Greetings

You won't get much help from JVC since the TV pretty much meets factory spec ... unless it is broken.

Marketing of a TV set has nothing to do with accuracy. It has everything to do with selling more TVs.

What more do you want from a calibration disc? It helps you do the basics and the basics are all that are available in the user controls.

Your set can't do anymore beyond grayscale adjustments in the service menu ... and that is that.

You want higer performance ... then you have to hire a pro to use these same parameters ... difference is ... they know where to set them and you don't. Time versus $$ ... the eternal struggle. Cost of your time to learn all this versus the cost to have them do it for you with the proper tools.

Regards

I call JVC they said they will calibrate it for free as long as its under waranty. Im going to use the disc first though.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

They do it by eye ... to their "eye" ... not yours.

Regards

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.