AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the STRD4ES reciever and am trying to hook up the HSU Research VTF-2 subwoofer to it. I have the mono cable that was included with it and have it going into the "preout" subwoofer section on my reciever. There is also a multi channel 1 section and a multi channel 2 section both with a subwoofer hole. I have the dvd player hooked up through a Monster optical cable and I know that it detects it because I put in the Saving Private Ryan DTS dvd and the blue light came on on the reciever showing that it was decoding DTS. I did not get any sound though.

I have gone into the menu on the reciever and played a test pattern for the subwoofer but it did not play anything. The subwoofer is turned on. What am I doing wrong? What should I be doing to get the subwoofer to work? What can I do to get the tv to act as the left and right speakers in a 5.1 surround setup? I have a center channel, subwoofer, and the surrounds, but no left and right channels yet (saving up) and no speaker wire for the center channel or surrounds yet. So the only thing I am trying to test here is the subwoofer. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
65 Posts
but it never hurts to double check.

1. The subwoofer out is not automatically on on all receivers, see if it has a way to turn on or off the subwoofer preout.

2. Secondly, try the other sub pre-out, I made that mistake once, got no sound, move the cable and problem solved. I just saw subwoofer listed and plugged in, so that's an easy mistake to make.

These are just a shot in the dark, since I really don't know your equipment all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mono cable is the only thing I need correct? My reciever only has one subwoofer preout slot. There are then two multi channel subwoofer slots. I have tried it in all three. I know absolutely nothing about how to hook up or use my audio equipment so any help is great!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had the same problem. After tinkering around for awhile I decided to do a system reset on my H/K AVR 525 and it worked. Move your surrounds to be your l/r for now and go down to Home Depot(should be open til midnight) and pick up some speaker wire. BTW...what speakers did you end up going with? Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
as long as your hooked into the mono port on the sub, you should be good there.

After checking the HSU site, I can't offer anything more than basic troubleshooting:

1. As always, check you subs volume control

2. if that doesn't do it, flip your polarity switch, if that doesn't do it, flip it back try the next settings. It may need to be flipped after the others.

3. adjust your crossover frequency, if it's too high, it not be playing the signal.

4. In your receiver, check your receivers crossover, if it's too low and your subs is too high, they may be preventing your sub from getting a signal. If your subs crossover is set to 100 and your receiver is set to 40, you won't get much bass outside of the LFE channel.

5. Try playing your DVD in dolby, not DTS, there are a few that don't handle DTS well, unfortunately, I don't know a thing about yours.

6. As always, check your manual, maybe you need to flip the switch to out to disable your subs crossover.

Here's the manual is yours is not handy (or lost like mine) http://www.hsuresearch.com/vtf2.pdf

Good luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have both the Sony and the VTF-2.

1. Plug the RCA cable into the sub out (RHS bottom below the centre channel out on back of receiver)

2. Plug the other end into the sub mono in - it's marked.

3. Make sure sub is on.

4. Turn volume to max on sub.

4a. Turn x-over freq to max on sub.

(Receiver handles both)

5. Go into setup - set subwoofer on. RTFM if this isn't clear ;)

6. Check volume on sub output channel is ok (receiver setup menu again)

If you did all this, and the LFE channel has output when you are playing a DVD (display at front flickers up and down and blue light in middle is on) then make sure the RCA cable is ok (swap it for another one). Also make sure sub is powered up ok (there is an LED comes on).

PM me if this still is no good and I'll try to post some pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.