AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying this 65" Panasonic. I saw it at the magnolia home theater store last night and compare to the samung 63c8000 it looked much better. Also I am still confused about this whole LCD, LED, PLASMA thing. I currently have a 720 P LG plasma 50" from 4 years ago. Ligthing is really not an issue. What are your thoughts on this. I just watch tv and movies via direct tv and blue ray and netflix.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneman /forum/post/19647024

I am considering buying this 65" Panasonic. I saw it at the magnolia home theater store last night and compare to the samung 63c8000 it looked much better. Also I am still confused about this whole LCD, LED, PLASMA thing. I currently have a 720 P LG plasma 50" from 4 years ago. Ligthing is really not an issue. What are your thoughts on this. I just watch tv and movies via direct tv and blue ray and netflix.

Thanks

The 65VT25 is the best 65 inch panel available right now. Since reflections are not a problem, you should enjoy the Panasonic. Not that it is perfect. It doesn't do black as well as the discontinued Pioneer Kuros that stopped at 60 inches. If you want to find out more about the black issues, just keep scrolling or do a search. These issues have stopped some from buying the VT25. Some people have hopes that the 2011 models will come closer to Kuro level black. Many people are happy as they can be with their 65 inch Panasonic plasma, including the much less expensive 65S2.

I think you will love the 65VT25.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hold on to your current TV for just a couple of months longer. Beginning next month all major manufacturers will show their 2011 tech at the CES2011. Panasonic is expected to show a Kuro based 3DTV. It should be worth the wait. Also as a Panasonic 50VT20 (European VT25) owner I can tell you that this years VT series have too many problems (just to name a few):

-Floating blacks

-False contouring

-Panning problems

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Personally, if I were you, I would wait for the new models that will be announced at CES. I would not buy a Panasonic now with the issue of the rising black levels. Hopefully that will be eliminated with the upcoming models. I would wait unless you had to have one now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your VT25 will most likely suffer from floating blacks. See the floating blacks thread for more info on that. Not sure if this will be fixed in 2011 or not. The only remedy is to put a light source in front of the CATS sensor.

I have an S2 and am very happy with the picture quality - except the floating black issue mentioned above. I'm sure the VT25 would be even better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm a 50VT25 owner, do not buy it yet, wait till next year to see if some of the issues of this year(especially the floating blacks) are resolved....I still wonder how this tv can be considered one of the best of this year with such a glaring issue

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabgon /forum/post/19647814

I'm a 50VT25 owner, do not buy it yet, wait till next year to see if some of the issues of this year(especially the floating blacks) are resolved....I still wonder how this tv can be considered one of the best of this year with such a glaring issue

Only considered one of the best when compared with the competition.

I am one of the people currently mad at Panasonic. However, looking at both the Pany and Samsung as the OP did, I came away still convinced that the VT25 has the better picture.

Comparison done at a Magnolia. Pany in THX 2d mode, Samy in Cinema 2d. Neither calibrated, both with the same Blu-Ray feed. Pany had better than 1,000 hours as display, Samy about 400.

Like some of the others, still waiting for Pany to fix the rising black issue. Their other issues do not bother me. I currently have an '09 V10.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.