AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a G-15, which I have sourced for the time being from a progressive scan DVD player. My scaler does not arrive until next week. I have only been watching it for about 1/2 hour, but I must say that the picture is truly impressive. Great color, no screen door, great contrast, great blacks, etc. And even the noise isn't as bad as I thought it would be. My initial impression is that it is a significant step above the Dwin DLP and the Sanyo PLV-60. I just keep saying "Wow." You DILA nuts were right all along and I'm sorry I ever doubted you. (milori, I am not worthy....) I can't wait to see what it looks like with the scaler and I know I can never get a HTPC, because if I do I might never leave the room.

Just when I was grinning ear to ear, though, I noticed what I thought was a fly on the screen. When I went to blow it off, I realized it is (I think) a stuck-on pixel that is purple in color. It is about a foot up and a foot over from the center of the screen. Then I found another purple stuck-on about a foot from the left side of the screen, and two stuck on next to each other that are kind of yellowish in color on the right side. These latter two can't be seen from the seating position, but the purple one in the center you can see every time there is a bright scene, like the sky. The one on the left you can see if you look for it, but since it is on the left side, you are rarely looking over there.

Does anyone know what the JVC specification is for when a stuck-on pixel is not in spec? I have searched previous threads, but they end before people reported back on what JVC told them about this. I will also contact the dealer as well, but I just am wondering if this is something JVC will fix, and if it is worth the hassle. Those of you who have returned your JVC's for pixel repair, did you get back perfect projectors or were there pixels stuck on elsehwere?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Gee smitty, sorry to hear about your dead pixel problem. Unfortunately, I can't provide you any advice, only sympathy.

You're only reinforcing my main LCD/DILA fear - Dead Pixels. Although there's no guarentee that DLPs won't have them, it seems to be extremely rare. For me, I think I'll stick with the DLPs. Sounds like the rainbow artifact has almost been conquered.

Good luck at getting your unit replaced.

------------------

Jim Lauritzen

[This message has been edited by Jim Lauritzen (edited 06-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jim Lauritzen (edited 06-23-2001).]

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Smitty,

Congratulations on your choice of D-LA finally. Too bad about the stuck pixels.

My invitation is still open if you want to see an HTPC-based DVD scaling or Dish 6000 on my D-IILA.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim, believe it or not, even with the stuck pixels I've got, I'd still choose the G-15 over the DLP's I've seen. The brightness, contrast, black levels, resolution and film-like quality are that good. We watched a movie tonight after discovery of the dead pixels, and the picture just makes my jaw drop. Plus, you can watch it with the lights on even.

It turns out that three of the stuck pixels are basically a non-issue. It's only the one near the center that's a problem, and you only notice it if by chance you happen to look directly at it, and it's brightly lit at that part of the screen. I'd still like to get it fixed, though.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Smitty:

I've heard differing things about JVC's "official" policy on dead pixels, but it has something to do with the count of pixels in the center and on the sides, with the center counting for much more.

I just got my projector fixed, because of a bunch of dead pixels and the panels being out of alignment pretty badly. They gave me a new optical block, which totally fixed the alighment problems. I now have some different stuck on pixels, but less than before. My main complaint was the alignment, the stuck on/dead pixels weren't noticible when watching video, only on computer output, such as an all white screen. If you have a stuck on pixel right in the center, and it's noticible when watching video, they might be willing to repair/replace your projector. Definately talk to your dealer first, and depending on how that goes, maybe contact your nearest JVC service center.

- Dave

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hey Smitty,

I'm glad to hear of your happiness, but sorry to hear of your pixel. The "official" spec. published in the owners manual is 99.99% good pixels.

While 99.99% looks like a very agressive spec., the sheer number of pixels makes it look less attractive.

The math:

3 Panels x 1365 x 1024 =

4,193,280 total pixels

* (1-.9999 spec.) =

419 bad pixels!f>

Even a 99.9999% perfect projector would still have
4,193,280 * (1-.999999)

4 bad pixelsf>

The sheer numbers are NOT in it's favor.

In comparison, an SVGA or XGA DLP or LCD projector that is 99.9999% perfect has zero dead pixels. Having 4 million pixels is both good and bad.

OK. Sorry for all the math. I'm sure it doesn't make you feel any better, but it might help to understand why dead pixels don't happen as much on lower resolution devices. It's just the old pixel lottery at work.

Dukane posted their dead pixel spec on this thread . I can't find the JVC equivalent for some reason. The archive feature doesn't quite work as expected...

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 06-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Smitty:

AFAIK, to repair the pixel issue, JVC would have to replace the "optical block". This is what they did for me. When this is done, you have to get the projector recalibrated.

What your dealer is offering sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If they're going to check for bad pixels first, they may even be nice enought to give you a projector that doesn't have any. Although, if the problem you have now isn't really bothering you, I wouldn't deal with the hassle, if I were you. Another issue to consider is what the post calibration contrast ratio they got you was. This varies from projector to projector. If you got above average contrast ratio, that might be another reason to stick with what you have.

- Dave

·
Registered
496 Posts

This talk about dealers and dead pixels makes me inquire: As an almost owner of a G15 (via the powerbuy), what is AVS's policy about dead pixels? Jason? Alan? Anyone?

- Marc

·
Registered
581 Posts
Smitty

I had a dead pixel Issue

If you get a chance talk to JVC professional service department. They'll try to make it right they understand that our use of these projectors have different limits specially for near center dead pixels.

They where great, with the loner policy they have it makes it bearable to let them take there time in repair.

They replaced my optical block which they tell me cost 4500.00 that's quite a bit for a G11U no wonder there discontinuing the model.

The'll try to make it right.

The downside is the calibration.

Hugo

[This message has been edited by Hugomed (edited 06-23-2001).]

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Hugo, when you got your projector back from JVC, did you have any pixel issues or was it 0 dead or stuck-on pixels? Dave, same question to you too.

[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 06-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
When I sent my projector in, I think I had 8 dead pixels, 4 of which were together. When I got it back, I found two, but Cliff, who's calibrating it, may have found a couple more. So, in my case, it's a little better, but it's a crap shoot.

- Dave

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My dealer (who IMO did a great job on the calibration) will let me do one exchange, if I want. They will pull another unit and recalibrate and check for bad pixels. They have indicated, however, that they make sure there are no pixel issues near the center, but that there may be some near the sides. As milori said, there are so many pixels on these units that there's often a bad one somewhere. They have also indicated that all units calibrate somewhat differently, and that other units might not end up looking as good as this one, or they might. What are your recommendations. Should I (1) return it to the dealer for an exchange, (2) live with it, or (3) plan to have JVC repair it? If the latter, does anyone know what effect JVC's repair of a pixel issue would have on the calibration?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Smitty

I got 1 dead pixels which I checked when I got it back.

I've never noticed it in any of my movies I can't even remember what location it is in.

And I'm very picky you can ask Alan. The only difference I've notice before the optical change was the brighter picture that I am getting compare to the old.

Which I think has to do with there calibration setting before shipping it.

I'm very happy with JVC service up to this point.

If I remember right they change two optical blocks they found 6 dead pixels and they call to let me know it would take a little longer because they had to order another block.

Which I did not mind having a loner.

I dont know about your calibration issue if you get it service will they recalibrate at no charge?

Hugo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.