AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 years old onkyo NR5008. 2 years ago it developed famous problem of non responding to remote and scanning through inputs. Onkyo fixed it but I was without receiver for about 4 weeks. Now it developed another common problem - no audio output and grey networking field. I may contact onkyo to request free repair out of warranty but I cannot be without receiver for weeks again. So I am moving away from onkyo.

I need advice what to buy to replace it. I can see 2 options:

1) Another receiver. I need 9.1 or 9.2 channels. I like Audyssey calibration. Budget ~2K. (I looked at marantz SR7008, is it a good option? Other brands to consider?)

2) Preamp and separate amp. Same requirements for channels. Budget ~3K for both. ( I do not really know anything about this option)

Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh man....I was just about to post a new thread with the exact same tittle. My 3008 was a rapid scanner, the replaced 3009 is a video but no audio. It just started happening this week with no warning.

I'm not even wanting Onkyo to fix it. I'm done with them. I'm needing a 7.2 channel reliable receiver with preferably XT32.

Looking at the Marantz SR 7008.

Just wanted you to know I'm in the same boat Max.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
How about an Anthem MRX? Has ARC and Dolby Volume which I personally prefer over Audyssey.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmccorkle  /t/1524478/i-am-done-with-onkyo-need-advice-what-to-buy-to-replace-it#post_24535413

Oh man....I was just about to post a new thread with the exact same tittle. My 3008 was a rapid scanner, the replaced 3009 is a video but no audio. It just started happening this week with no warning.

I'm not even wanting Onkyo to fix it. I'm done with them. I'm needing a 7.2 channel reliable receiver with preferably XT32.

Looking at the Marantz SR 7008.

Just wanted you to know I'm in the same boat Max.

Denon X4000. Call member jdsmoothie here at the AVS store for the best price.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Go with Yamaha. Judging by online complaints, no one makes a more reliable receiver. If you want something more like what you had before, buy something else.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Well just to add my two cents, I have a Yamaha RX-V3800. Volume does not work on the unit (only on the remote). I have a Onkyo TX-NR 906. The HDMI's are screwed up on that one. Right out of the box, got it fixed, then I left my HK520 in place as I had it all set up with an HDMI switch (from Oppo) and my display was an older DLP with no HDMI so it all worked out. Onk sat in the box after it was repaired for two and half years, finally my DLP died (fan) so I got a Plasma (panny VT50-65") so out with the h/k in with the Onk. After a year, starting to act up on the HDMI again when switching. I turn the unit off / on and it works but suspect soon it will crap out on me again. This time I will take it to the recycle.

I have a (much older) analog Yammy receiver - from the early 90's - still going strong though in my basement not being used now. But when you plug it in, not a problem. Moved my H/K into my two channel rig along wtih a Push/pull tube amp (just to switch up) though on three separate occasions over the years, my h/k volume went up on it's own. Each time I was not in the room when it did it. Luckily that receiver has a high current - i.e. no clipping even though it went way louder than I would ever listen to it - so no speaker damage.

So based on all this - I'd go Marantz lol. At least that's what I'm leaning towards, that or Arcam or Anthem. Looking for the best features. But won't seriously look until my Onk dies.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I sent my 809 to Onkyo for repair yesterday. Once I messaged them through facebook, I got my extended repair approved within an hour. However, I feel the same in terms of replacing it. Fixing it to have a spare, at this point. I am thinking of moving to a Pioneer Elite SC-77 or possibly wait for the newer Elites. I'm also finding Anthem to be interesting, but not too sure about the build quality/execution of features at this point after reading that thread. I do like the way Anthem has user defined inputs allowing different audio and video to be matched up.

I listened to the Pioneer Elites SC-75/77, Marantz 6008, and Yamaha 2030 offerings and in a sound room preferred the Pioneer. I know they will sound different once sound corrected with my speakers and room, but I guess that is what return policies are all about. I have owned Yamaha separates from years ago and they performed well, so if you like the sound it should be a safe bet.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I am another disgruntled Onkyo owner. My 3008 broke, and I replaced it with a Pioneer SC1522-K, 9.1 (sold as 9.2). It's my fourth Pioneer AVR -- never had a problem with any of them. Unlike you, I disliked Audyssey; MCACC is better, imo. I think the Pioneer D amps drive my Axiom speakers more happily, too. I'm not sure what you mean by separate preamp -- the SC1522 has pre-outs.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Went from an Onkyo(used as a pre/pro) which died after just 2.5 years. ,to a Marantz pre/pro.

I'll never buy an Onkyo again.

Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts