AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After alot of negotiating and a good deal of my subwoofer budget me and another member here at AVS are going to be proud owners of a Contrabass subwoofer. The subs are being palletized today and will ship tomorrow.

The Contrabass will be roughtly my 7th or 8th commerical subwoofer, I have had a few Paradigms , Velodynes, a JBL, a Sony and a Cerwin Vega. :eek: My favorite commerical subwoofer to date was the Paradigm Servo 15.

I have also built several subwoofers based on the Adire Shiva driver and a few based on the Tempest driver. My biggest subwoofer was a huge subwoofer that used 2 Adire Tempest drivers.

Dual Tempests in a huge enclosure and about 1000watts are capable of putting out some incredibly high SPLs from 16hz on up.

(btw the biggest one was know as the Big Pig..you may have seen it..
http://www.geocities.com/manurescape...l?982512333080 )

I have also used a few other various drivers including some esoteric drivers from Madisound as well as an SVS driver from one of their first generation subs.

I took a long break from DIY and enjoyed what I had made for awhile and a few months ago I upgraded my entire HT for the umpteenth time.

The last piece of my most recent upgrade was to add a subwoofer, I was just about to buy an Adire Tumult driver and go from there however this Contrabass deal came up and I changed plans at the last minute.

Unfortunately I no longer have the space for a no holds barred subwoofer that is larger than a fridge so compromises must be made furthermore SPLs are no longer the main priority of my subwoofers, sound quality is.

From what I have read the Contrabass is not going to be able to match the SPLs my big dual Tempest subwoofer could put out but it could sound better/cleaner.

If there is anything that I have learned from my subwoofer experiences is that specs usually dont tell you how the subwoofer will sound. One particular Velodyne subwoofer I had was one of the best sounding subwoofers I have ever heard yet its not very popular here at the various forums.

I am very much looking forward to getting my Contrabass, I hope it can at least come close to what I am expecting. :)

·
Registered
27,571 Posts
Bass heads unite!!!!!!

Congrats!

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Quote:
If there is anything that I have learned from my subwoofer experiences is that specs usually dont tell you how the subwoofer will sound.
Hehe, I've found just the opposite, but you need the right specs and how to understand what they mean (big caveat). -3dB points don't cut it.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack G
Hehe, I've found just the opposite, but you need the right specs and how to understand what they mean (big caveat). -3dB points don't cut it.

Tell me Jack, what specs in a commerical subwoofer will tell you how it will sound? Also I was not aware that all companies used the same measuring standards.

Actually scratch that....lets just say all subwoofer specs are honest and equal.....

Since you can read specs and know how a subwoofer sounds , then please tell me how the Contrabass sounds. How well does it handle Jazz music and Rock?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
James,

The Contrabass handles just about everything with equal aplomb, and to top it off does so with quite low distortion and tremendous extension.

It does equally well for movies and classical music.

What are its downfalls?

1) I'm pretty sure it exchanges greater low end response for ultimate output, ie the B-DEAP32, above the first octave will probably better it. Mark Seaton can speak to this far more effectively than I can.

2) It's physically very large. The B-DEAP32 isn't tiny either.

I don't have either, and haven't had Mark drag by a B-DEAP32 to play with. Since I'm not in his neighborhood anymore, I don't know that he'll be able to drag one over. He did bring a Contrabass out one night when I lived in the area, and it was amazing.

Lots of good choices, some better than others :D

Regards,

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
John,

" 1) I'm pretty sure it exchanges greater low end response for ultimate output, ie the B-DEAP32, above the first octave will probably better it."

That trade off is made in just about any design. Still consider that the CB will do 114dB at 16hz with under 1% distortion outdoors..... so it isn't like this is anything to worry about.

Mark awhile ago was actually thinking about retuning the PR on the CB to go deeper yet while loosing a little more total output. Not sure if that has happened yet or not.

James,

Have fun with the CB, they are a blast! I've had mine so long it is a 'Quantum Sound' unit. ;)

Shawn

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Shawn,

Yes, I'm aware. I just 100% sure that was the design goal, and Mark is far more qualified to comment than I am on this.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ok I am curious.

What is the MSRP on the CB?

Haven't been able to find prices anywhere.

·
Registered
88 Posts
"That trade off is made in just about any design. Still consider that the CB will do 114dB at 16hz with under 1% distortion outdoors..... "

That's pretty impressive.

I'd like to read more about it's capabilities as it should be able to produce some pretty staggering numbers indoors. It's surprising that it can do this since it's not that big or heavy (120 lbs)considering it has 4 speakers in the cabinet.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TRC
"That trade off is made in just about any design. Still consider that the CB will do 114dB at 16hz with under 1% distortion outdoors..... "

That's pretty impressive.

I'd like to read more about it's capabilities as it should be able to produce some pretty staggering numbers indoors. It's surprising that it can do this since it's not that big or heavy (120 lbs)considering it has 4 speakers in the cabinet.

I have read from many sources that ServoDrive is VERY conservative in their rating SPL output from their products.

I am going to bet that my Contrabass is going to be knocking crap over in my house. :)

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James W. Johnson
I am going to use my Contrabass like a $2 whore when I get it, I'llk be sure and post my results. :D
Would you mind pimping it around the country as well? :D

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think Mark and his posse bring a slew of their hos around the country from time to time. :D

Otherwise if you are ever in my area then you are more then welcome to come over and have a listen. :)

1 - 20 of 182 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.