AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the wd52725 and matching stand. also picked up a 5 year warranty, yamaha rx-v1500 receiver, monster hts1000 power center, monster coax cable and monster component video cables.

will take delivery of everything except the receiver on tuesday. the receiver is due in to the store later in the week.

will be hooking up my HTPC to the setup once i get everything. yay me! :D

anyways thanks to everyone on this board for posting such great info. i've been lurking and occasionally posting for a long time now. finally pulled the trigger today. i'll still be lurking after i get the set and will post more about it after it's setup.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
I'd return everything but the TV. Buy moderately priced cables. Beware of the "Monster". I have the cheapest cables possible running into my 62725 and the picture is breathtaking.

· Registered
16,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Benji
I'd return everything but the TV. Buy moderately priced cables. Beware of the "Monster". I have the cheapest cables possible running into my 62725 and the picture is breathtaking.
For analog signals (component and coax cables), I would not buy the cheapest cables available. Cables, especially analog cables, do make a difference. I agree that Monsters are overpriced, but they are good cables, and apparently Mojo got them at a discount, so they are fine.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's exactly what i've read. monster makes good cables, just overpriced. other people make good cables at lower prices. if one has the opportunity to get monster cables at reasonable prices, there's no reason not to get them.

· Registered
69 Posts
Congrats Mojo! I paid for and took delivery of my WD62525 this morning, after ordering it on Tues. (it was already on the way to the store at the time). I will get my HD cable box this afternoon (may switch to sat. at a later time, especially if a DVR is integrated into the tuner). I don't have a stand yet. I found the Mitsu matching stand to be too limited. My center channel is huge, with 2 8" woofers (Klipsh KV-4). So I would like to find a stand that can handle that and my other video components. Otherwise, I'll build a shelf for it above the TV. Can't wait to hook it up tonight! Unfortunately, only ABC and PBS are in HD locally.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a separate component rack, so the matching stand is perfect for me. i found that other stands were too wide for the area i want to put it in. as for the center channel, i found some pics in these forums where people have used a styrofoam wedge that comes with the packaging of the tv and have velcroed it to the back/top of the tv. it seems to make for a nice shelf for a center channel and is not visible from the front.

i'm still running analog cable through my HTPC. i was going to try out the OTA HD before moving to HD Cable. Although, a switch to digital cable in general is planned in the near future.

congrats on your equally good taste in dlp choice. ;-)

· Registered
69 Posts
Good idea on the center channel. Too many threads to read to take it all in. I'll try something along those lines. That will give me way more options for a TV stand. I would have gotten the 725 if the protective screen had to stay on. Mine's coming off, as it's not an issue with kids or pets.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i decided on the 725 mainly because it cost me the same thing as the 525 and i'd heard that the protective screen also improved the overall PQ. i don't know that to be true, but i figure there's no reason for me to not get the 725. also, i can only assume the 725 will ship with a more updated firmware version. that, too, is an assumption, though... ;)

· Registered
597 Posts
I just got my 62525 as well after returning a HLN567 I had for 6 months and many repairs. It ended up costing me about 200 bucks more but there simply is no comparison to the Samsung. PQ is much better all around-HD, SD, and DVD, it is maybe slightly dimmer but nothing really bad. All the negatives everybody talks about I really dont mind. Glare is tolerable with screen on even with modest light control. The fan is louder but you cant hear it at all with any amount of volume on. Build quality is a world of difference from the Samsung. Obviously it has much more features.

As for a stand, take a look at Circuit City- they have one that fits the 62 perfectly and has two shelves with plenty of space for equipment and center channel. It is gray with glass shelves- if that is your style. It is a Techcraft made for 58 but the 62 fits fine. Heres is the link.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catO...ategorylist.do

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.