AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a 40GB PS3, the one that came in the Spiderman Blu-Ray bundle about a year and a half ago, so it is out of warranty.

I don't use the thing to play any games, at least not since I got it. Basically when I play a DVD or Blu-Ray, within 5 minutes the fan kicks it into high gear (or at least high enough for it to be distracting to me). None of my friends can even hear their PS3s at all.

I've tried everything. Originally, the PS3 was in a cheap home entertainment furniture shelf to the right of the receiver at the bottom shelf laying horizontally since that is the only way it can fit. I thought since I have a dog that sheds, the receiver is hot right next to it, and I have a couple of inches on each side, maybe ventilation isn't right. So I did the trick where the fans blow dust out, and not much came out. I decided yesterday to move it to the upper left hand corner of the shelves, since it will have more room to breath on the sides, but that didn't help. I thought that might not work either because the receiver is below it and heat rises.

So I then decide to disassemble the entire thing so I can use compressed air to clean it. It isn't that dusty, but I clean it really well. The problem still persists.

So now I've got a totally clean PS3 and I'm trying to figure out what to do next. Someone recommends that you elevate the unit to let the front bottom-facing vents have better circulation of air, so I elevate it about 2 inches. Still no good.

So now I decide to just pull the thing from the entertainment center. It's now sitting on a subwoofer in an open room at about 72 degrees with nothing around it and it is still kicking the fan on 2 minutes after the Blu-Ray starts. I lay it vertical, but to no avail. In all circumstances the sides are quite cool and the back is a couple of degrees warmer at worse, room temperature at best. I think the only way it would get cool is if I put it in a fridge.

Are there any other ideas people may have? I find it hard to believe temperature is an issue when the thing has a whopping 2-3 minutes generally speaking before the fan kicks on and stays at the same speed. I mean, how hot could this thing get in such a short amount of time anyway? The noise isn't really noticeable in action scenes, but when there is silence you have this consistent whirring that annoys the heck out of me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
PS3s are plenty noisy, despite what everyone else says. You're referring to fan mode 2, which kicks in 2-6 minutes after power-up. If it's noisier than normal, then it could be a physical problem, such as the bearing on the fan, or something. Fan mode 3 or 4 is incredibly distracting. Putting the system horizontal helps avoid 3 or 4, mind you.

I don't know what to tell you. As for "your friends' PS3s are quiet" - you sure about that? Bring them to your house and put them in the exact same place with the same room ambient noise - you'd be surprised. I felt the same way, thinking everyone's PS3 was quiet except mine, until I realized their rooms just masked it better. Their PS3 Dyson-mode sucks as bad as anyone else's...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv2 /forum/post/17025316

PS3s are plenty noisy, despite what everyone else says. You're referring to fan mode 2, which kicks in 2-6 minutes after power-up. If it's noisier than normal, then it could be a physical problem, such as the bearing on the fan, or something. Fan mode 3 or 4 is incredibly distracting. Putting the system horizontal helps avoid 3 or 4, mind you.

I don't know what to tell you. As for "your friends' PS3s are quiet" - you sure about that? Bring them to your house and put them in the exact same place with the same room ambient noise - you'd be surprised. I felt the same way, thinking everyone's PS3 was quiet except mine, until I realized their rooms just masked it better. Their PS3 Dyson-mode sucks as bad as anyone else's...

A note, if I turn on the PS3 but do nothing, it stays dead quiet for hours. So if fan level 2 kicks on so quick, how come it only kicks on when using the drive?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I went through the same thing a year and a half ago and a system reset/format cleared it up for me. I had more than one person tell me I was an idiot and there's no way that could have been all but it was and it worked. I DID have my system in a well ventilated, cool, clean area and it would still kick in almost immediately like yours is. The fan IS controlled by software and if there is a software glitch it can very easily screw with the fan speeds. Read my original thread here...hope it helps.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=40gb

edit: Since doing this my PS3 has been dead silent through multi hour long video gaming sessions, 4-6 hour marathons of watching Lost on BD and/or DVD, and I couldnt be happier. The fan is working but working quietly.

edit2: What firmaware are you on? If you havent played games I'm guessing there's a good chance you've never upgraded your firmware and could still be on the pre 2.0 revisions. I'm just taking a wild swing at this but I'm guessing that whatever was causing my problem, and others, early last year HAS been addressed by Sony via a ninja update in one of the many FW updates and that is part of the reason I havent had this issue since.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have a launch unit and it has stayed very quiet, the only time it kicks into high is when I web browse while listening to music of the hard drive, my PC also works harder when multi tasking, but when I focus on one thing it cools down, it is also well ventilated and relatively dust free

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My 40gb is also about 1 1/2 years old...I think it was the spiderman bundle also. I can honestly say that I have never even heard the fan kick on, even after a 3-4 hour game session and watching blu rays

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I just got a band new (yesterday) 80 gig PS3 and it was quite at first.

Then I started to watch a BR movie and about 30 min into it. I notice something was loud. It was the fan on the PS3. Not as bad as the xbox360, but I do notice it also.

Note: I did notice there was a newer firmware update then what was on it, but wifi download time was pretty damn slow and I wanted to watch a movie and not waste time downloading. So I cancelled the download. But I will DL the newer firware update 2night and see if it helps the loud fan noise (but I doubt it). lol

My PS3 is quieter then my old skool PS2 though

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift /forum/post/17026116

I just got a band new (yesterday) 80 gig PS3 and it was quite at first.

Then I started to watch a BR movie and about 30 min into it. I notice something was loud. It was the fan on the PS3. Not as bad as the xbox360, but I do notice it also.

Note: I did notice there was a newer firmware update then what was on it, but wifi download time was pretty damn slow and I wanted to watch a movie and not waste time downloading. So I cancelled the download. But I will DL the newer firware update 2night and see if it helps the loud fan noise (but I doubt it). lol

No firmware will decrease the loudness or speed of the fan.

My launch model is loud as hell. It stays quiet till I play a game or watch a blu ray movie (disc).

But why didn't you wait for the new model? it will surely be a lot quieter and cooler.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few things:

- I've got the latest firmware. Just double-checked.

- I'm currently doing a total restore. Maybe I had some setting turned on that caused the PS3 to get under heavy load. I have a bad feeling this isn't going to work because 3 minutes into the install and the fan is already on.

·
Registered
668 Posts
To piggyback off of tommyv2 I've got a launch unit 60GB and whenever it's vertical the fan will go crazy. If I lay it horizontal the fan automatically kicks back down. I have noticed my fan speed has increased a lot since when I first got it, but it's worth it to me for backwards compatibility.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Back when I had a PS3, the 80GB software BC model, it was very quiet and had a low hum that was barely audible in a silent room. However, sometimes if I gamed for say, over 6 hours, the fan would switch to a higher mode, which was definitely noticeable but not terrible. When I first got the PS3 and it was so shiny, I would place a plastic bag over it because when it is standing vertically, the vent holes are pretty large on the side and I wanted to keep dust from falling in. BAD MOVE. The fan kicked in high gear after about 15 minutes. Not the smartest thing to do, I know.

This also reminds me of when my roommate's Xbox was RRODing and I read somewhere that putting a towel on top would somehow magically fix it. I wouldn't recommend doing it to one that's still kicking.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My Spiderman 40gb,just died yesterday.It was on top of TV stand,placed horizontal.First the fan would crank up after 5-10 minutes of gaming.Then it started going black for about 15 seconds.Nothing getting whacked in COD,when you can`t see or hear.Then for the last month it would just lock up.Yesterday the controller wouldn`t connect with bluetooth.I plug in the USB cable,nothing.After trying 3 different controllers with the USB cable,I got a connection.I start COD.I can`t play online.I get the(no eithernet cable)message.Now when I turn it on,all it has is the Green light.The on/off switch,will start it,but won`t shut it off.I`m glad my noisy launch unit still works.

·
Registered
673 Posts
MY 40gb "Spiderman" unit failed twice when it was silent, when I got it back after the 2d failure, it's loud as **** but no more failures. Easy conclusion there, for me.

I do put a small fan blowing over my electronics since they're in a closet, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts