AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hook up my surround sound stereo SC-PT750 to the SAmsung Blu Ray player and the Dish VIP722 but I can't make it work. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Darren

Home Theater 1 from Darren

Panasonic TH-42PX75U HD TV with two HDMI out puts

Microsoft XBOX 360 ARCADE

Panasonic SC-PT750 has one HDMI out one audio out

Samsung BD-P1500

Dish Network ViP722

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Well, you have a choice to make. Your receiver doesn't have any video inputs (!?), so you will have to connect the video section of your sources directly to the TV. Since your TV only has two HDMI inputs, you need to decide which of the 4 sources (including the DVD player built into your receiver) you want to connect via HDMI and connect the other two via component video. I would suggest connecting your BluRay player and Dish box to the TV with HDMI, unless you do a lot more gaming than watching TV. Or, if you don't mind the hassle, you may be able to add (purchase) an HDMI switcher so that you can connect them all via HDMI.

As far as the audio goes, it gets worse. There are no digit audio inputs in your receiver, so you won't get surround sound from anything but the DVD player. Also, there is only one set of analog audio inputs, so you will either have to switch the audio cables each time you want to watch a different source (or use the TV speakers) or buy an audio switch.

I don't know what your budget is, but if it were me, I'd probably get a new receiver- one with enough HDMI inputs for all of your equipment.

CJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers. I bought a HDMI auto switching device for one of the HDMI ports on the Plasma tv. I am thinking about buying another manual switch and use a piggy back audio cable to hook up the Blu Ray player, but I am not sure it will work. Right now if i had the extra money I would buy another receiver. We have other things like new wood flooring that needs to come first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_fisherman /forum/post/16982850

What exactly are you having trouble with, connecting the wires? Or is something not working?

I am having trouble connecting the wires. The plasma has just two HDMI ports and the Panasonic receiver has a built in dvd player and only one port for audio that the Dish DVR is already hooked up with. I have a auto HDMI switch on one of the Plasma HDMI ports and I was thinking I would get a manual HDMI switch for the other port and use a piggy back rca cable to get the Samsung Blu Ray player hooked up to the Pansaonic receiver.

Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprice329 /forum/post/17007347

I am having trouble connecting the wires. The plasma has just two HDMI ports and the Panasonic receiver has a built in dvd player and only one port for audio that the Dish DVR is already hooked up with. I have a auto HDMI switch on one of the Plasma HDMI ports and I was thinking I would get a manual HDMI switch for the other port and use a piggy back rca cable to get the Samsung Blu Ray player hooked up to the Pansaonic receiver.

Thanks

The main problem is, you have extraneous equipment to perform different functions. You have a 5-Disc DVD that upconverts standard definition DVDs, but it won't play bluray discs. You have a bluray disc player but no way to hook it up to hear true surround sound from it. This is the main problem that a different receiver would fix, but it looks like the speakers have terminated ends with proprietary connections to the back of the receiver...which you would have to feel comfortable cutting.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I would use the TV as your "brain" for this system, assuming you aren't willing to buy a different receiver. This will require another HDMI switch (assuming you want to hook everything up HDMI, which really serves no purpose because you can't get surround sound from your receiver for anything but the built in DVD changer).

You can get HD video from all your sources through component video. I would hook 2 of them up HDMI and 2 of them up component. Run the component with audio to the TV. Then run one set of RCA audio cables from your TV's audio out to the input on your HTIB receiver. This setup would require no switches and wouldn't sacrifice any potential options you have...that is unless you can tell the difference between HD coming over HDMI and HD coming over component.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Have you looked at receiver prices lately?

Huge feature packages can be had very inexpensively. In fact, if you don't mind buying used, you might be able to get one for about the same amount it looks like you might spend on cables. This really would be a substantial improvement, both in simplicity and probably performance.

rob

EDIT: A 30 second search just returned a 2 year old model, which would do nicely, used for 139.00.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts