AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to D* I have the Hughes e86 with the rca oval dish. I have problems with some of my channels. I will get them all perfectly. Then out of nowhere on a clear perfect 70 degree day I will lose some channels. Like espn and Headline news. The strange part is it seems to be certain transponders. Transponder 28 on sat 101 will be fine but 29 will be dead. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
When you lose a transponder, say an odd-numbered one, check immediately whether all odd-numbered transponders are off. (Check your Hughes owner's manual about how to run a transponder-by-transponder signal strength check.) This can happen with even-numbered transponders, too. If you are only getting every other transponder when things go haywire, it could be the IRD or the LNB, but more often than not you have a cabling problem not allowing the IRD's polarity switching voltage changeover to reach the LNB. (When a transition from an odd-numbered transponder to an even-numbered transponder takes place, the IRD's LNB power voltage increases from 13 volts D.C. to 18 volts D.C., and vice-versa. Could be physical damage, could be moisture intrusion and corrosion in the cable somewhere (Check connections at the exterior wall that may be subject to lawn sprinkler overspray - highly suspect!), or could be a poor connection. (Check all "F" connections from the IRD to the LNB for crossed threads. They may feel physically tight but may not make good contact over time.) The fact that your problem is intermittant will make it more difficult to diagnose and correct. If your system was recently professionally installed, lay it in the installer's lap since, if it's an installation error, he's responsible for correcting it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Ray is probably right on the money. I would also bet it is some kind of problem in your cable/connector. Just to make sure it isn't the LNB, you could switch to the other connection if you have a dual LNB.

What you describe (losing all odd or all even transponders) is usually a cabling problem.

...mike

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That would be my bet as well. I have a couply of brand spanking new cables and they came with loose connectors! But they were freebies with my SC so they didn't cost me anything. Drove me nuts for a few minutes though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to get best buy to get the installer back out here and fix it. The guy was "suspect" when he was putting in my dish. He told me that the Hughes E86 was not capable of HDTV and that my Plasma was the best LCD display he ever saw. If I was not afraid of heights I would have done this my damn self. Anyway Thanks again for all the tips.

BTW

Ray H that was a great description thanks for taking so much time to explain.

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright here we go: I just got home noticed that CNN ESPN and Headline news were not coming in. I immediately went to check my transponders to see what was happening. I noticed something strange it was not only the odd one not only the even ones. It was both. I am so pissed. Would not mind as much if it was "WE" channel or Lifetime but damn it it's my ESPN and Headline news. Anyway just thought I would updated the post. I am calling installer tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Joe

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jc23
Alright here we go: I just got home noticed that CNN ESPN and Headline news were not coming in. I immediately went to check my transponders to see what was happening. I noticed something strange it was not only the odd one not only the even ones. It was both. I am so pissed. Would not mind as much if it was "WE" channel or Lifetime but damn it it's my ESPN and Headline news. Anyway just thought I would updated the post. I am calling installer tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Joe
Ok, tell us how you REALLY feel. :)

I notice you didn't mention Oxygen. Did you give that one a free pass because of the Amazon women in skimpy leather costumes show?

Oh yea, it is also know by the name of Zena, (Amazon) Warrior Princess. :D

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
JC, if all transponders are MIA, that's good news from a diagnostic standpoint. As for installers, my opinion is that independants who earn their living from selling and installing equipment usually have a better track record since their livlihood is on the line everytime they put up a system. (They know that word-of-mouth cuts both ways.) Unfortunately when a mass retailer hires installers at minimum wage, well, they (and you) tend to get what they pay for. If it's any consolation, I put up my own system and had similar problems to yours. I eventually got it sorted out and you will too. I defintely got what I paid for... But on the up-side, it was a learning experience.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray H
I eventually got it sorted out and you will too. I defintely got what I paid for... But on the up-side, it was a learning experience.
As long as someone is physically able, it is good to be able to know how to tune. Not only do you not have to sit and wait on an installer, you don't have to pay the $50-$100 for a re-tune if the wind should move the dish out of position.

Remember that the $10 signal finder is your friend! :D

A signal meter will find ALL satellite positions you point at, not just the one you want. It takes only a slight bit of practice to learn, but is much better than running into the house to check the on screen signal bar. If you move the dish too far in any direction you might be pointing at the wrong bird.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bought a digisat acutrac 22 satellite finder and tweaked the you know what out of Sat A and B which you can do at the same time as it has the 22khz signal available. I was able to set the dish to maximum output for both A and B at the same time. C subsequently joins the party when those two were tuned.

Everything was great or so I thought until my Terk S24 LNB's went kaput. Since I had the DirecTV protection plan (wife wanted it) I called them out and they installed one of the newest and smallest Winnegard Dishes which have all LNB'c much closer together than your standard 3 LNB terk or whatever dish.

Low and behold the signals on all the transponders jumped 5 to 10 across the board on the same day, no change in conditions, etc.

As you know this could help out on rainy days, etc.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the posts. I called the installer they came out fixed it for about a day and out again. Called D* TV they are sending out new dish. But thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.