AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sony STRDG520. I will use this for a 5.1 eventually, but right now I just want to listen to music through the fronts and rears at the same level. I have tried all the settings and have not found one that plays 2 channel to fronts and rears at the same time/level.

Can I plug both rights and both lefts into the front jacks on the back of the receiver?

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/14163988

There should be an all channel stereo selection in the sound field or at least i thought

this was common.

Usually there is, but I suppose it depends on the receiver's features at it's price point. What he could also do, if he is not using surround right now is (if his receiver has it) use the B set of main stereo speakers. Then all he'd have to do is select A+B. VoilÃ*, stereo sound out of 4 speakers.

Edit:

I just looked, I don't think that particular receiver has 2 sets of main stereo terminals. Here is another option, though. Sony has a setting in the menu for the test tones called phase audio. If you set this to FL/FR AND SL/SR you will get stereo sound from your fronts and surrounds. This setting is used for level matching your speakers with test tones, but it works with any sound source just the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's right, only one set of mains. I'll try the phase audio thing, but it seems to me that if I use the remote to do anything, I may come out of that mode and lose the rears.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I don't think the phase audio is going to work either. You can only do 2 speakers at once...at least on my receiver. Did you notice if you have a sound field called multi-stereo?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't notice multi-stereo. Can't I wire the speakers in parallel or in series?

I think it will do 4-16 ohms

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasGot /forum/post/14163964

I just bought a Sony STRDG520. I will use this for a 5.1 eventually, but right now I just want to listen to music through the fronts and rears at the same level. I have tried all the settings and have not found one that plays 2 channel to fronts and rears at the same time/level.

Can I plug both rights and both lefts into the front jacks on the back of the receiver?

So, you don't have a sub or a center channel yet, just two fronts and two rears?

Go into the receivers menu and set it up for two fronts and two rears.

Do not hook up both lefts and both rights into single jacks.

If you read in the manual you will see a setting that says something like "all channel stereo" or " 5 channel stereo" or "party mix" . That will give you the same info from all speakers.

Also try dolby PLLII. This mode takes any two channel info and gives you a simulated 5.1

You don't state exactly how many spkrs you have so I assume you only have the four.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, only four. Just trying to get equal sound from the four corners of the room for now. Will add center and sub later.

I will try the options of all channel. I did tryo Dolby PLLII, but it did not work very well. I get the idea from another post above that I should try and raise the sound level for the rears. I'll go try that now and see what happens.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasGot /forum/post/14164269

Didn't notice multi-stereo. Can't I wire the speakers in parallel or in series?

I think it will do 4-16 ohms

You could, but I don't know how that receiver will handle it. That will drop the load to 4ohms I believe, and being that it's an entry level 5.1 receiver, it may go into protect mode while you're increasing volume. Personally, I don't recommend it.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Parallel will lower the impedance from what you have (8ohm) to (4ohm) series will do

the opposite (8ohm) to (16ohm) I would try the menu for all channel for best sound

and making speakers and equipment last longer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay..... I went and started the scrolling through the menus. I found Multi ST (Multi Stereo) and then had to raise the Volume Level of the Rears from 0 to +6 to get nice equal sound!

Now I have what I want and will be able to switch it to a 5.1 system at a later date.

Thanks for all the help here, it is very much appreciated.

Jason

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasGot /forum/post/14174241

okay..... I went and started the scrolling through the menus. I found Multi ST (Multi Stereo) and then had to raise the Volume Level of the Rears from 0 to +6 to get nice equal sound!

Now I have what I want and will be able to switch it to a 5.1 system at a later date.

Thanks for all the help here, it is very much appreciated.

Jason

Glad we could help JasGot. No go get yourself a Radio Shack sound level meter. You can even out your channels and not worry if it's set equally at every speaker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts