AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a good price on a Da-lite high power pull down screen, i was going to replace my current material on my DIY screen which game out awsome BTW. My current material is a GREY WOLF 2 beaded with a 1.8 gain...


With that being said, it has great blacks and is pretty damn bright considering its retroflective, it blocks out most ambient light; now the downside, you cant clean the damn thing because of the beads, i tried cleaning the screen and rubbed a beads off i believe, not to mention, its a little grainy but overall, not a bad screen at all


Now, i found a pull down 106" da-lite high power for around 300 dollars, this is pretty much the only retroflective screen that da-lite has, the guy at da-lite even told me i would need to where sun glasses, i was just wondering what some of you guys think before i pull the trigger on this, i like the fact it has a washable surface, i want something that will last me along time and i want retroflective as my media room is setup for this with the projecter hanging down a good 3 feet from the ceiling, about one foot above your head.


Also, anyone know where to by replacement lamps for cheap? or should i stick with newegg.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,276 Posts
So some things to consider. First, it is retroreflective. That means that projector really needs to be near eye level (or at least close). With the huge offset of the IN76, that presents a problem unless you use digital keystone correction. Please just make note of that.


The HP will raise black levels slightly (they won't be as dark)...so be prepared for that. Also, it is what is called an emulsified glass bead (think really really small beads). Because of that, it is a bit more durable, but can still be damaged if not treated properly (be careful when cleaning is all I am saying).


Last, $300 is expensive. You can get a Model B 52"x92" HP (perfect if you want to cut out the fabric) for quite a bit less from me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,418 Posts
I don't have a High Power right now, but Dalite mention it's washable on it's web site..


This is from the website

Quote:
High Power


A technological breakthrough, providing the reflectivity and optical characteristics of a traditional glass beaded surface with the ability to clean the surface when necessary. Its smooth textured surface provides the highest gain of all front projection screen surfaces with no resolution loss. The moderate viewing angle and its ability to reflect light back along the projection axis make this surface the best choice for situations where there is a moderate amount of ambient light and the projector is placed on a table-top or in the same horizontal viewing plane as the audience. Flame retardant and mildew resistant. Viewing Angle: 30° Gain: 2.8
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts
I have a fixed-frame High Power screen, and I had to wash it to remove a spot that I noticed after first installing the screen. I washed it per the cleaning instructions included in the installation instructions from Da-Lite. I used a soft cotton cloth and clean water, rubbing in a single direction. When that did not remove the spot, I switched to denatured alcohol as also recommended by Da-Lite. That began to work, but it took about three washing and drying cycles to remove the spot completely. I have used the screen for over a year since then. There was no apparent damage from the washing (other than to my nerves for fear I might destroy the screen
).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,628 Posts
"That means that projector really needs to be near eye level (or at least close)."


Only if the gain is needed; the other HP advantages - ambient light rejection, no hotspotting, and immunity from waves - remain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/14329901


"That means that projector really needs to be near eye level (or at least close)."


Only if the gain is needed; the other HP advantages - ambient light rejection, no hotspotting, and immunity from waves - remain.

I understand how the intensity will not vary in a static image, thus hiding a wave, but surely you would see a wave during a pan. I don't see waves with my matte white screen either, except of course during pans which is really irritating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/14329901


"That means that projector really needs to be near eye level (or at least close)."


Only if the gain is needed; the other HP advantages - ambient light rejection, no hotspotting, and immunity from waves - remain.

Not to pile on, Noah, but it perhaps should be pointed out that ambient light rejection of a screen can be expressed as a ratio of screen gain for the projected image (Gp) and screen gain for the ambient light (Ga), or Gp / Ga. Ambient light rejection is thus directly proportional to Gp. If we cut Gp in half by raising the PJ to a high position, the ambient light rejection will also be cut in half.


Your statement is technically true, because the ambient light rejection does not become nonexistent unless the PJ is positioned at some ridiculously high position. The ambient light rejection can be badly bruised, however, by raising the PJ to the ceiling. In addition, bright parts of the image will light up the ceiling more, and this will light up the room more, thereby adding to the ambient light.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,628 Posts
"surely you would see a wave during a pan."


Sure, a really big one, but not the intensity variation that would be visible with smaller ones on an angular reflective screen.


"ambient light rejection of a screen can be expressed as a ratio of screen gain for the projected image (Gp) and screen gain for the ambient light (Ga), or Gp / Ga."


True, but that doesn't account for the fundamental difference between retroreflective and angular reflective screens, either of which may be better suited to the situation depending on where the ambient light is coming from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/14336294


True, but that doesn't account for the fundamental difference between retroreflective and angular reflective screens, either of which may be better suited to the situation depending on where the ambient light is coming from.

What is your point? The discussion was about the retroreflective High Power screen and projector position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/14336294


"surely you would see a wave during a pan."


Sure, a really big one, but not the intensity variation that would be visible with smaller ones on an angular reflective screen.

You see the image riding the wave during a pan because the image distorts as it goes across the wave. With an angular reflective screen you would also see intensity modulation.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,628 Posts
"You see the image riding the wave during a pan because the image distorts as it goes across the wave. With an angular reflective screen you would also see intensity modulation."


? That's the same as what I said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/14339219


"You see the image riding the wave during a pan because the image distorts as it goes across the wave. With an angular reflective screen you would also see intensity modulation."


? That's the same as what I said.

OK... but you originally stated that the HP has "immunity from waves".
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top