AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my wife and I have saved, and saved, and saved to finally redo our basement. We plan to make it the hang out/game/movie room. Im looking to get in-wall and in-ceiling speakers and a sub for the best price-performance ratio as possible. I'm assuming I want a dome tweeter since I want a wife dispersion vs a ribbon tweeter.
All would be controlled by a Yamaha 4k 7.1 receiver. So, I am leaning on you experts for your help. I have been looking all over the map, from Micca's (although cant seem to find the 8" in wall speakers) to JBL (Can find the SP8II for around $130/pair-but then what center matches them???) to Polk RC85i's. Hell, I would even be open to Monoprice ones as I have had them before and I was happy. Do any of you have experience with the JBL's? Any other ones you can recommend. Like I said, Im looking for the decent performance at a great price. The listening area will be 16'x17'. Also....I already have a BIC F12 subwoofer that I have had for 16 years and has been awesome. Should I get another for the same price ($200), or look for something else around that price? Attached are photos of the area (couch would go against the pole in the middle, with the TV on the wall with the speakers wires on the floor) I should note that carpet will be installed throughout the basement....the current flooring will be ripped up.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
And if you are going to spend around $200, its hard to beat the Bic F12. You could spend $500 and get a much better sub from SVS, Hsu or Monolith (monoprice).

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
I'm assuming I want a dome tweeter since I want a wife dispersion vs a ribbon tweeter.
Naw, like so much of what gets tossed around on enthusiast forums like this, that is just ivory-tower academic THEORY that gets dressed up and tossed around as if it's the holy gospel by people desperate for cognitive closure. Lots of people use ribbons in their HT setups with great success, and lots also use horns with great success. There is no "ONE" best thing, it's all SUBJECTIVE (I would be very skeptical of anyone who claims there is any such thing as rock-solid "science" in this hobby) and there are any number of ways to skin a cat.

I would look into the Hsu HIW-1 which use the same drivers as the well regarded HB-1 bookshelf speakers. And if at all possible, use their HC-1 as the center speaker. (Ideally, I would use 3 x HC-1 across your fronts.)

Another option is, you could use an Emotiva C2 for your center and these Monoprice speakers also with ribbons for your L/R:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15700

Attachments

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
So my wife and I have saved, and saved, and saved to finally redo our basement. We plan to make it the hang out/game/movie room. Im looking to get in-wall and in-ceiling speakers and a sub for the best price-performance ratio as possible. I'm assuming I want a dome tweeter since I want a wife dispersion vs a ribbon tweeter.
All would be controlled by a Yamaha 4k 7.1 receiver. So, I am leaning on you experts for your help. I have been looking all over the map, from Micca's (although cant seem to find the 8" in wall speakers) to JBL (Can find the SP8II for around $130/pair-but then what center matches them???) to Polk RC85i's. Hell, I would even be open to Monoprice ones as I have had them before and I was happy. Do any of you have experience with the JBL's? Any other ones you can recommend. Like I said, Im looking for the decent performance at a great price. The listening area will be 16'x17'. Also....I already have a BIC F12 subwoofer that I have had for 16 years and has been awesome. Should I get another for the same price ($200), or look for something else around that price? Attached are photos of the area (couch would go against the pole in the middle, with the TV on the wall with the speakers wires on the floor) I should note that carpet will be installed throughout the basement....the current flooring will be ripped up.
The above mentioned HSU speakers are definitely an excellent price/performance option. There are other options like Canton & Kef.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantiw865a/canton-865-6.5-2-way-in-wall-speaker-pair/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefci160cla/kef-ci160cl-each-6.5-2-way-in-wall/ceiling-speaker/1.html

Subwoofers see the entire open space including open areas and adjacent rooms. You have to calculate the entire space to determine subwoofer needs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm assuming I want a dome tweeter since I want a wife dispersion vs a ribbon tweeter.
Naw, like so much of what gets tossed around on enthusiast forums like this, that is just ivory-tower academic THEORY that gets dressed up and tossed around as if it's the holy gospel by people desperate for cognitive closure. Lots of people use ribbons in their HT setups with great success, and lots also use horns with great success. There is no "ONE" best thing, it's all SUBJECTIVE (I would be very skeptical of anyone who claims there is any such thing as rock-solid "science" in this hobby) and there are any number of ways to skin a cat.

I would look into the Hsu HIW-1 which use the same drivers as the well regarded HB-1 bookshelf speakers. And if at all possible, use their HC-1 as the center speaker. (Ideally, I would use 3 x HC-1 across your fronts.)

Another option is, you could use an Emotiva C2 for your center and these Monoprice speakers also with ribbons for your L/R:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15700
What would I used for a center speaker with the HSU's? I'm also starting to get up there in price

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
What would I used for a center speaker with the HSU's? I'm also starting to get up there in price
The HC-1, as previously mentioned.

If you wanted to do an in-wall center, then just a 3rd HIW-1, vertically aligned with the L/R HIW-1s.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
PS. You can also do ON-WALL speakers or WALL-MOUNTED compact bookshelves, saving you the hefty cost of installation for in-walls (unless you're going to install them yourself).

One of the advantages of the latter is that you can much more easily toe in and tilt up/down the speakers which makes a big difference. This is one of the biggest disadvantages of in-wall speakers, not to mention that in-walls are a lost investment because you leave them behind when you move (unless you want to patch 5 big holes in your drywall).

Reactions: philpoe

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The HC-1, as previously mentioned.

If you wanted to do an in-wall center, then just a 3rd HIW-1, vertically aligned with the L/R HIW-1s.
Let me clarify.... What INWALL speaker would I use? I do not have any place, or want, for a freestanding speaker. Also, I am a general contractor, so install for in-wall and in-ceiling is easy.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Let me clarify.... What INWALL speaker would I use? I do not have any place, or want, for a freestanding speaker
I already answered your question.

It doesn't matter, really. You can only expect so much out of an inwall.

But if you want to give yourself better odds of getting decent sound out of them, look into the 3 way in-walls from Monoprice. $200-300 apiece. You'd do way better with a freestanding center for the same price but hey it's your money, your room, your ears. Just keep your expectations realistic.

good luck.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Really any speaker that you turn up to the low to mid 90dB range would likely have a great wife dispersion effect. :D
As already mentioned the dome vs ribbon is, IMO and IME, a mythical thought process. I think the recommendations here already have it covered pretty well. Its just too bad you don't have the option for a more proper free-standing speaker setup but at the same time its a nice space and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Reactions: Zorba922
1 - 11 of 11 Posts