AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panasonic is sending me a check for $2300 because they can't fix my PE700UA. I have no idea of what to buy now.

I was about to get another panasonic, the g20. But now I read about black level's rising. Then I consider a Samsung, but I have no idea of what model is a good one.

My wife likes LED-LCD due to the fact that they use less energy and no burn in issues. So I am thinking of a Sony 701 from Costco.

Then I see last year's Samsung LED is on sale at best buy!

Here is what I want:
  • For the love of dog, please tell me what to buy!
  • Blacks better than a PZ700
  • NO IR
  • I don't care about off axis. My theater area is only 8' across so it's not an issue.
  • Less than 34.5" tall
  • Netflix would be nice

Any set I buy will be first calibrated using DVE and then perhaps a professional ISF calibration.

·
Registered
430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/18303269

My wife likes LED-LCD due to the fact that they use less energy and no burn in issues.

plasma energy usage keeps dropping. Panasonic has stated pretty clearly that they plan on meeting all the Energy Star requirements. I believe power usage has dropped a lot even since last year. Upcoming 2010 reviews on CNET should list actual power usage (something to keep an eye out for).

on the burn-in... i don't recall ever seeing a topic about someone having burn-in on their set for 2009 Samsung or Panasonic models. Do you have a source that this is still an ongoing issue?

Anyways, i thought i'd point those things out. Basically the gap between LCD and Plasmas are closing ... in favor of both technologies

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Perhaps the Sammy 55B7100 at BB? Looks like it would just fit. Is your viewing usually darkened or more like a normal family/living room? The height restriction I assume is due to existing furniture?

As to the G20, I seriously doubt Panny will have the same problem with extreme black level shifts as experienced by some this year. The changes are meant to be more gradual and certainly less dramatic, probably more in line with the '09 58"s and 65"s.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The height restriction is due to a wall mounted center speaker that is currently installed (Def Tech Pro Cinema 1000).

No, it's not an EMERGENCY! But my man cave is non-functional now so I would like to get it this weekend.

As for burn in, I had real nasty IR with the PZ700. It went away, but it was there for days. We have kids so we want to make sure that it's not an issue.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Well there you go. Good Luck this weekend!

Seriously, check out the B7100. I am not a huge fan of Edge Lit LED LCD preferring Backlit with local dimming. But this set has great PQ and the biggest downside is the possible flashlighting in dark environments. If that describes your man-cave then some other tech will have to be used. The LG LH90 is another great LED LCD series but the bluishgray bezel covering throws off a lot of folks. The 55 would likely be too tall but the 47 should fit the space but maybe be too small? I mean you want screen area, right?

Sammy Plaz may buzz so Stick with the G20 if it fits. Burn-in is much reduced and many don't even bother with break-in anymore.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Go buy the Pioneer 500M plasma from the dealer in the "Where to buy Pioneer" thread. No LCD will match that, and it is incredibly IR resistant. I game, use the computer, and leave DVD menus on it for hours (oops, late night viewing) and have yet to see a trace of IR. Power usage is rated at 296 watts, if that matters to you. My wife LOVES it. In your price range a little shopping around for one can't hurt

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:

Panasonic is sending me a check for $2300 because they can't fix my PE700UA. I have no idea of what to buy now.

I was about to get another panasonic, the g20. But now I read about black level's rising. Then I consider a Samsung, but I have no idea of what model is a good one.

My wife likes LED-LCD due to the fact that they use less energy and no burn in issues. So I am thinking of a Sony 701 from Costco.

Are you sure that Sony uses less energy than a 50" G20 or VT25 with real world use? You can't go by a plasma's printed power consumption specs - they typically average a little over half the max rating in a home environment (i've tested all of my plasmas with a Kill-A-Watt and they average roughly 60% of the max that's stated in the manuals.

Quote:
Then I see last year's Samsung LED is on sale at best buy!

Horrible build quality, horrible customer service, horrible company

Sony ain't much better nowadays.

Quote:
Here is what I want:
  • For the love of dog, please tell me what to buy!
  • Blacks better than a PZ700
  • NO IR
  • I don't care about off axis. My theater area is only 8' across so it's not an issue.
  • Less than 34.5" tall
  • Netflix would be nice

The G10 or V10 will outperform the PZ700U/PE700U in every category, even with the BL Rise issue. My 9-month-old daily-watched G10 still appears to have better blacks at night than the PZ700U that's in the bedroom, and the G25 should have even better blacks (even after they rise).

Quote:
As for burn in, I had real nasty IR with the PZ700. It went away, but it was there for days. We have kids so we want to make sure that it's not an issue.

IR on my G10 goes away faster than on my PZ700U and despite having a total of 4 hours of local news on the screen per day there is no IR or anything from their pesky light-colored circle 7 logo to be seen when i check for it using the break-in slides. It's simply not there. Again, the G25 should be even better. One thing you might want to do is set up a dimmer more kid-friendly picture mode (like Standard mode with the Contrast set at 50%) and leave it in that mode for the kids. Then when you are watching it and in control of the content, switch back to your bright poppin Custom mode and enjoy the show. Set it back to dull Standard when you're done.

With that refund you can get a 50" VT25 or a 54" G20 if you can wait a few more days or weeks. Either the G20/25 or VT20/25 should knock your socks off compared to the 700U. My lowly G10 kills my 700U as it is.

The 54G20 is listed as 34.8" on it's stand, and 32.8" without the stand if that helps (maybe you can wall mount it in your space?)

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts

Quote:

Edge lit LED LCDs suck and the local dimming ones still present the opportunity for uneven wear, if you worry about such things. The power thing is overblown too. You're talking about a negligible savings per year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts