AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching for a few weeks, have read about differences between LCd and Plasma, about contrast and synamic contrast, refresh rates, brightness etc etc.

The more I read the more confused I get. The 1080P has thrown a whole other spin to the already confused situation.

Please tell me that this is normal and that I will eventually find what I am looking for.

My budget is 1200-1700, from what I read I think I woudl prefer LCD because of its "reliability". Still dont know how much of any I will be giving up as far as color accuracy and contrast is concerned against Plasma.

I do not have an HD-DVD player and dont plan on getting one until they get as cheap as 200-250. Most of my viewing is primetime HD material via cable and "regular" DVDs, but I also expect this TV to last 3-5 yrs.

Then there is the whole deal with which manufacturer to buy and what model to get.

Just found out today that Best buy is offering FREE financing for 3 yrs (till 2010), as attractive as that offer is, I knwo that their price is inflated..

I am going to loose my mind of I keep reading.

What should I do?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You need to get your priorities straight and start narrowing it down.

1. How much are you willing to spend?

2. What size are you looking for?(see #1)

3. Are there any dealbreakers in either technology for you?

For example, the motion blur on LCD really bothers me. Most people don't see it but that was a deal breaker for me.

Don't worry about 1080P. It is pretty far down the priority list especially within the sizes you could get with the budget you gave.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Keep educating yourself and let the information sink in. Don't worry too much about the 1080p bit. There is not anything broadcast in 1080p and if your not going bluray or hddvd you don't have to worry about it. Also you most likely would not be able to tell the difference between 1080p/i or 720.

Most lcd/plasmas will have similar features. Go to a store and look at some different sets and pick a few you like. Then research those. Important things to consider are how these sets perform for your purpose....cable sd/hd, dvd, games.

Remember you have to watch it. Good luck

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I need to research some more because so far I have not read anything regarding motion Blur. I was leaning towards LCD for their reliability, I dont want to spend 1200-1500 and then have to buy a new TV in 1-2 years, I have read some horror stories regaridng Plasmas but they may have been exagerated.

As far as size goes, I would prefer 40"-42" but will "settle" for 37" if I got a better TV for teh same price.

Why do you think 1080P isnt a big issue? is it because the sizes I can afford in teh price range I have given arent big enough to really make a difference between 720P and 1080P?

I have an Infocus X1 FP and a tube TV..So even 720P is going to be amazing, I am just confused by SO many manufacturers, so many models/sizes and so many option some of them that seem to be nothing but marketing ploys like the Dynamic Contrast ratios as high as 10,000:1.

At this point I wish there was a TV guru that woudl give me 3-5 choices of teh best bets and I coudl just chose between those, instead of trying to make my own mind.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam1996 /forum/post/0

I have been researching for a few weeks, have read about differences between LCd and Plasma, about contrast and synamic contrast, refresh rates, brightness etc etc.

The more I read the more confused I get. The 1080P has thrown a whole other spin to the already confused situation.

Please tell me that this is normal and that I will eventually find what I am looking for.

My budget is 1200-1700, from what I read I think I woudl prefer LCD because of its "reliability". Still dont know how much of any I will be giving up as far as color accuracy and contrast is concerned against Plasma.

I do not have an HD-DVD player and dont plan on getting one until they get as cheap as 200-250. Most of my viewing is primetime HD material via cable and "regular" DVDs, but I also expect this TV to last 3-5 yrs.

Then there is the whole deal with which manufacturer to buy and what model to get.

Just found out today that Best buy is offering FREE financing for 3 yrs (till 2010), as attractive as that offer is, I knwo that their price is inflated..

I am going to loose my mind of I keep reading.

What should I do?

Been there. Dont get discouraged. I joined here the same reason you did and it took me awhile before I even knew what I wanted. For the longest time I wanted a Sony 50XBR1 LCD rear projection...I read and found the things that I did not like....read about plasmas and saw how affordable they have become...thought about Panasonic, Hitachi, Pioneer...read some more...went to stores in my area...and now I am going to order a NEC 50XR6a from Chris at Cleveland Plasma. Dont think of buying anything from someone that is not a site sponsor (stick with CLEVELAND PLASMA, INVISION, or VISUAL APEX). Just do a site search on whoever you choose. They will by far give you the best price and the best service. If everything purchase in life was like plasma purchases from these sponsors mentioned life would be sooo much easier.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing I am still not sure about is what is the benefit of buying a 1368X768 vs 1024X768 other than teh obvious more pixels. From what I understand 720P is 720P right?

I just hope that whatever I decide on is going to be a good decision and not an impulse one?

Also, I WOULD like to take advantge of no financing from BB til 2010, so if you guys are suggesting models/brands, please keep that in mind.

Thank you again for everyone's help, I really need it.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:

At this point I wish there was a TV guru that woudl give me 3-5 choices of teh best bets and I coudl just chose between those, instead of trying to make my own mind.

Im no guru by any means but I have read many posts here and I will tell that these guys here know what they are talkin about but keep in mind that everyone sees thing differently. Go to a store and watch some LCD's and what when the scene changes quickly. Do you see little squares (pixels). When watching someone run do you see pixels following the human body. If you do you see why I did not choose LCD. Plasmas have there own set of problems but they have been mostly eliminated. I would say from the opinions I have read that as far as plasmas are concerned that I would buy are as follows:panasonic-Some consider one of the best for the money and the cheapest of the group. Pioneer-Better than Panasonic and more expensive. NEC-my personnal favorite and more money still. These are VERY broad comments but may help you to set a direction.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree that the choice is not simple. Keep reading, be sure to read as many reviews as you can. Takes lots of trips to BB/CC and some speciality AV stores.

As far as BB goes, whatever you save from non-financing, you'll pay in intial cost. As an example, my PDP at Best Buy is $2650, I got it shipped for $2100 from an authorized dealer. That's a 20% discount.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with the inflated prices at places like BB. but this is going to be my first Plasma, i woud rather buy it from a place I can take it back to, I may also buy an extended warranty and give them some more of my money.

What do you guys say?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:

I agree with the inflated prices at places like BB. but this is going to be my first Plasma, i woud rather buy it from a place I can take it back to, I may also buy an extended warranty and give them some more of my money.

What do you guys say?

First, don't fret about being overwhelmed at AVS. I came to this place a few years ago with 4 or 5 questions, got them answered in a day or so, and then had 10-15 new ones. Got those answered, then had about 20-25 new ones....

Second, you're right to buy at a big chain. First HDTV, play it safe. You can save $$$ later on a 2nd HDTV or a bigger model. I recommend CC or Sears or a few other places. I've heard problems with BB customer service so if you buy from them, just make sure the warranty is CLEARLY spelled out beforehand.

Third, get a 3-year warranty to protect yourself.

Fourth, I think a plasma is fine. Only reason to consider an LCD is if you are super-heavy into gaming and the set is a bit more resistant into protecting against IR and BI.

Fifth, check out the 42" models from Panasonic (6U or 60U), Philips 9631 (I have this one), LG, and Samsung. Those are the ones most in your price range and most of us have one of those models. Vizio, too, if you want to go for an up-and-comer without the big corporate track record.

View those models, check out the user threads on all of them, and then ask folks who have them what they LIKE about their set and what they DON'T LIKE (or would have improved). Also, ask if they have a Tips Sheet or something like that for newcomers to learn about the set, with lots of posts from AVS and other helpful hints printed by topic (I have one for the Philips, I think the Panny guys have one for theirs, too).

You've done a good job so far in narrowing down the size you need and the cost you want expend. You've also made the right decision in going for the warranty, given that this is your 1st HDTV. So don't fret -- you're halfway home to making an informed choice !!
Relax, check out the sets at a BB or a CC or a Sears.....come back here, read the User Threads....post some questions...do a bit more reading. It took me about 1 month of time at AVS, spending about 1-2 hours per day, before I was ready to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/0

First, don't fret about being overwhelmed at AVS. I came to this place a few years ago with 4 or 5 questions, got them answered in a day or so, and then had 10-15 new ones. Got those answered, then had about 20-25 new ones....

Second, you're right to buy at a big chain. First HDTV, play it safe. You can save $$$ later on a 2nd HDTV or a bigger model. I recommend CC or Sears or a few other places. I've heard problems with BB customer service so if you buy from them, just make sure the warranty is CLEARLY spelled out beforehand.

Third, get a 3-year warranty to protect yourself.

Fourth, I think a plasma is fine. Only reason to consider an LCD is if you are super-heavy into gaming and the set is a bit more resistant into protecting against IR and BI.

Fifth, check out the 42" models from Panasonic (6U or 60U), Philips 9631 (I have this one), LG, and Samsung. Those are the ones most in your price range and most of us have one of those models. Vizio, too, if you want to go for an up-and-comer without the big corporate track record.

View those models, check out the user threads on all of them, and then ask folks who have them what they LIKE about their set and what they DON'T LIKE (or would have improved). Also, ask if they have a Tips Sheet or something like that for newcomers to learn about the set, with lots of posts from AVS and other helpful hints printed by topic (I have one for the Philips, I think the Panny guys have one for theirs, too).

You've done a good job so far in narrowing down the size you need and the cost you want expend. You've also made the right decision in going for the warranty, given that this is your 1st HDTV. So don't fret -- you're halfway home to making an informed choice !!
Relax, check out the sets at a BB or a CC or a Sears.....come back here, read the User Threads....post some questions...do a bit more reading. It took ma about 1 month of time at AVS, spending about 1-2 hours per day, before I was ready to pull the trigger.

Thank you all for all the info.

I plan on making several trips to CC and Best buy starting tomorrow.

Seems like my initial "research" regaridng plasmas not as relaible as LCDs and LCDs picture quality isn't totally accurate anymore.

I agree that since its my first BIG purchase towards the HDTV, I should/woudl go with a place like CC, BB or SEARS.

Costco is also a good alternative and upuntil recently, they had a lifetime warranty which I now hear is being changed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was really thinking about picking up a Pioneer 5070 with that deal at BBY, but amazon has the same tv for 800 bucks cheaper and they have 1 year no interest.

Course, I've been told that the Panny consumer models are better than the Pioneers.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't think Panny consumer models are really "better" than Pioneer. You could say the Panasonic Pro models have better picture than the Pioneer consumer models, and perhaps the Pioneer Pro or Elite models have slightly better performance than the Panasonic Pro. All of this is really opinions and the occasoinal inference from the always tactful reviewers who never want to trash any brand due to possibly hindering any future interactions with said vendor.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Stick with it, you'll make the right choice for you when your ready.

I started coming here about 3 years ago looking for information on speakers and receivers, and was very quickly overwhelmed. I too got overly worried about all of the latest tech that I thought I needed. I educated myself, sorted out what I needed vs latest options that jack up the $$$, and made my choice based on my needs instead of bells and whistles.

Like previous posters, I have run the gamut from initially wanting rear projection then changed to lcd and plasma after find things I did not like about rp. I've been researching tv's for 2 years and have just made my first purchase. I went with the panasonic 42px600u. I was very close to getting the pioneer but ultimately decided, after many trips to BB, that there was minimal if any difference in pq and the price difference was not justified. My biggest hurdle was passing up the sexy look of the pioneer. I won't look back though.

Keep in mind that the video sources fed to these tv's in the store may make one set appear to look much better than others. I know my BB has 2 video loops with the same material but one is 1080i and the other is 480i. Try to set them to the same feed. Visit different stores and compare also. You will be surprise that your favorite tv will look great in one store and awful in another. Take your own dvd player and a disk to hook up to some tv's this way you will always have a consistent feed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Since this is your first HDTV, I would also suggest that you buy from a local store such as BB, CC, Sears or Costco. BB, CC and Sears all have a 30 day return policy, but be aware that Sears can charge you a restocking fee if they want to. The last I heard Costco (and Sams Club) still had the unlimited return policy. I would imagine that if the policy did change after you purchased, you should be under the old policy...however, it would be best for you to make sure of that.

As for extended warranties, the BB warranty is basically an extension of the mfg's standard warranty. It doesn't cover burn-in/image retention on plasmas. Stuck/lost pixels on any set are only covered when a very specific number of pixels are affected in an area. At CC, they have a plan that will cover burn-in and even a single stuck pixel and I believe accidental damage. However, that plan is very expensive..upwards of $9xx.xx. As for Sears, when I was considering a flat panel, the Sears associate showed me the cost of their service plan....it was also close to CC's price. In your case, a $1500.00 set bought at CC, their service plan would probably cost over half the price of your set. Not worth it in my opinion. Some companies such as Sony offer extended service plans that you can purchase directly from them even though you didn't buy directly from them. In

Sony's case the prices are less than the brick and morter stores.

Finally, I would suggest that you go to your local store and trust your eyes. Look at the 720 and 1080 sets from the distance you'll be watching at home. I doubt that you'll be able to see the difference. Also, I would take one of your dvd's from home that has dark scenes in it. Have the associate play your dvd and watch it carefully. This can be done....CC did it for me and it really helped in my decision making process.

You're almost there....good luck.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Kam, the warranty's when alot of us bought earlier in 2006 ran about 20% of the purchase price for 3 years. It might not go at that ratio with the lower price, but that's a ballpark figure. The warranty should not under any circumstances run you over $400 for 3 years (unless you're getting a steal on the price to offset it). My 3-year from Sears was right at 20% of the purchase price in September.

Forget about 1080p. Absolutely no need for you to worry about it given your needs and this being your 1st HDTV. As important as finding a TV with 5 HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What no one seems to want to say:

Most likely you will be very impressed with whatever you get. Especially compared to the picture you see in stores(even if they are actually displaying HD). Even if its one of the upcoming lesser known brands like Vizio, Olevia or Viewsonic. I personally chose based on what I needed. Whatever devices you need to hook up will eliminate a lot of sets. Then your room conditions will eliminate others. Once I did all of this, it just came down to seeing the sets in person to see how much I liked the cabinets. Once I narrowed down to 3, I found the threads for them here and bought based on other peoples opinions of actually using them at home. Now I couldn't be be more please. The HD I see at home is 1000x better than any I saw at the big box stores.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo /forum/post/0

What no one seems to want to say: Most likely you will be very impressed with whatever you get. Especially compared to the picture you see in stores(even if they are actually displaying HD). Even if its one of the upcoming lesser known brands like Vizio, Olevia or Viewsonic. I personally chose based on what I needed. Whatever devices you need to hook up will eliminate a lot of sets. Then your room conditions will eliminate others. Once I did all of this, it just came down to seeing the sets in person to see how much I liked the cabinets. Once I narrowed down to 3, I found the threads for them here and bought based on other peoples opinions of actually using them at home. Now I couldn't be be more please. The HD I see at home is 1000x better than any I saw at the big box stores.

Great post and very true.

He should narrow it down to 3 sets and then read the relevant threads in-depth.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The following is an excerpt from Consumer Reports that list the LCD TV's which may be in your price range:

Sharp Aquos LC-37D90U $1800 68. 37 1920x1080 1 2 1 29 37 12.5

Magnavox 37MF231D/37 $1500 65. 37 1366x768 2 1 0 24 43.5 11

Hewlett-Packard LC3760N $1300 63. 37 1366x768 2 2 0 29.5 37.5 12

JVC LT-37X787 $1600 62. 37 1366x768 2 2 0 26 36.5 12.5

Toshiba Cinema Series 37HLX95 $2200 60. 37 1366x768 2 1 0 26.5 36 12

LG 37LC2D $1700 58. 37 1366x768 2 1 0 29 37.5 11.5

Philips 37PF9631D $1400 55. 37 1366x768 2 1 0 27 44 10.5

Sharp Aquos LC-37D6U $1500 49. 37 1366x768 2 1 0 28.5 37 12.5

Sharp Aquos LC-37SH20U $1400 45. 37 1366x768 1 1 0 28.5 37.5 12.5

Westinghouse LTV-37W2

Good luck and happy shopping.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.