AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a Pioneer VSX-521, and it was okay. It introduced some video noise into the picture but I was living with it cause I really didn't feel like unhooking everything and rehooking it all back up, plus my bd player's noise filters were able to eliminate most of it once properly calibrated. Then the sound stopped coming out for the blu-ray input. all the others still worked, just not the blu-ray. So I finally returned it. I find a open box VSX-1020 at best buy for the exact same price I had paid for the 521. We plug it in in the store to make sure it works. DOA. won't even turn on. So they have a Sony STR-DV1010 for $230 open box. I plug it in, it works. Cool. Get it home, wire all my speakers (which takes forever since it has binding posts and I don't have banana plugs) and turn it on. Static. Loud static that constantly gets louder until the receiver goes into "Protected" mode and shuts its self off. It is usually out of either the Surround left, or center channel. So tomorrow this too goes back Best Buy and I have to find yet another receiver. I may go with an entry level Yamaha since I haven't had much luck with Pioneer or Sony so far.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did check the wiring a couple of times (though I could have taken a bit more time to do it) and didn't see anything that looked wrong. I think I am going to go with its not working, return it for my money back, and order me a Denon 591

·
Registered
319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevenberg /forum/post/20866818

I think I am going to go with its not working, return it for my money back, and order me a Denon 591

And again you'll encounter the same problems. Sounds like you've got issues with speakers, wiring, source electronics, or electrical supply. But not with the receiver.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It could all be horrible coincidence. But it could also be a common factor. Do you have a multi-tester (voltmeter with ohmemter.) You can measure the DC resistance of each speaker that way. For 8 ohm speakers, I think DC resistance is a bit below 4 ohms (someone correct me if I am wrong.)

If you are seeing low or high values, you may have a bad speaker.

Check all wiring, obviously. Other than that, I can think of nothing obvious. Could be something odd going on eletrically I guess too, but I don't know much about that topic.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.