AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an Onkyo TX-DS989 upgraded to Version 2 and I also have a Paradigm System 8 with 2 additional surround speakers for a 7.1 system. My Paradigm system consists of the following speakers: Monitor 11 Fr L/R pair, a CC-370 Center, ADP-370 Surr 2 pairs, and a PW-2200 Sub. I have these particular speakers with an extra set of surrounds.

I was thinking of upgrading to a 7.1 Onkyo TX-NR818, a 9.1 Onkyo TX-NR3009, or a 9.1 Onkyo TX-NR5009. I currently really like my current system, but I want to try out the new surround formats. Since two of the receivers have 9.1 channels I am considering getting two more speakers.

9.1 may be a stretch for me because my room is kind of small at around 15' x 16' x 7' (although the area where my projection screen and LCR speakers are located is about 6.5' high). My projection screen is not in the center of the room because I have another TV on a different wall. I also have a little bar cabinet near the projection screen.

If I get front height speakers, can I mount them about two feet above the front LR speakers? Are front height speakers even worth it at this height? Btw, my projection screen is in front of a closet that runs the entire front of the room, so I would be mounting these on doors.

If I decide to go with front wide speakers, could I mount them higher than the front LR speakers and could they be around 1.5' to 2' away from the front LR speakers. Are front wide speakers even worth it at this distance? I do not have much clearance on the right side of my projection screen, and the bar cabinet is located front of where the front wide R would be located, which is why I would need to mount it on a stand that would elevate it above the front LR speakers.

Btw, I bought my speakers almost 11 years ago so I will have a hard time finding matching speakers. I would like to buy bookshelf monitors for either the front wide or the front height speakers. I have found used Paradigm Mini Monitor Version 2 speakers. These seem to match the ones that I have. The only problem with these speakers is that they are ported in the back. If I use these for front height, I was thinking of mounting them on doors and opening a hole in the back of the door so that the port would not be blocked. If I use these for front wide, I was thinking of mounting them on stands.

Do I really need front height or front wide speakers to match my LCR speakers, or could I get others? Also, could I get bipole or dipole surround speakers, instead of front firing speakers? Btw, I plan on trying the following 9.1 setups: Dolby PLIIz, DTS Neo:X, and Audyssey DSX.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help.

·
Registered
29,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez  /t/1421695/i-am-thinking-of-getting...-9-1-and-would-like-some-advice#post_22247289

If I get front height speakers, can I mount them about two feet above the front LR speakers?
Not enough separation to give you the height effect, will instead make it sound like you have a slightly taller soundstage. One thing you could try is mounting the height speakers between your fronts and sides, as high up as you can (ceiling height if possible). This will widen the soundstage a bit and image sounds above you.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
That room is to small for that many speakers IMHO. A good 7.1 or 7.2 systen will have a cleaner sound and not be congested. Sometimes the enemy of good is better.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1421695/i-am-thinking-of-getting...-9-1-and-would-like-some-advice#post_22247724

Not enough separation to give you the height effect, will instead make it sound like you have a slightly taller soundstage. One thing you could try is mounting the height speakers between your fronts and sides, as high up as you can (ceiling height if possible). This will widen the soundstage a bit and image sounds above you.

I wonder if I went with height speakers, do you think I should put them on the side walls, just like I have my LR surround speakers? By the way, could I get another pair of dipole surround speakers, or should I get front firing speakers? Also, since all of my current surround speakers are dipoles, I wonder if I could add another pair between the front LR and the surround LR, or would they have to be bipole or front firing?

Btw, since these would go between the LCR and surround LR, could I also use them as wide LR? Or would I not be able to do this since they would be high?
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1  /t/1421695/i-am-thinking-of-getting...-9-1-and-would-like-some-advice#post_22247885

That room is to small for that many speakers IMHO. A good 7.1 or 7.2 systen will have a cleaner sound and not be congested. Sometimes the enemy of good is better.

I am leaning toward keeping the 7.1 speaker setup that I have, but I am just curious to see how it would sound with an extra pair. If I go with the Onkyo TX-NR818 I'll leave it as is, but if I go with a 9.1 receiver, I will always be considering an upgrade.

·
Registered
29,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez  /t/1421695/i-am-thinking-of-getting...-9-1-and-would-like-some-advice#post_22248000

I wonder if I went with height speakers, do you think I should put them on the side walls, just like I have my LR surround speakers?
That's what I was suggesting in my last post: split the difference between your front and side speakers for the location of your height speakers. If that angle ends up being on the side walls, that's fine. Just make sure you mount them as high up as possible to get the best effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez  /t/1421695/i-am-thinking-of-getting...-9-1-and-would-like-some-advice#post_22248000

By the way, could I get another pair of dipole surround speakers, or should I get front firing speakers?
My choice would be direct firing monopole speakers.
Quote:

Btw, since these would go between the LCR and surround LR, could I also use them as wide LR? Or would I not be able to do this since they would be high?
Heights and wides get different signals, so you can't use them as combination height/wide speakers. Most 7.1 set-ups get good imaging between the fronts and sides, so I tend to think of wides as redundant. By comparison, heights open up a dimension that the other speakers around ear level can't deliver.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sdurani, I bought a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitor Version 2 bookshelf speakers on eBay. These match my LCR speakers perfectly. I am thinking of mounting them with these Pinpoint AM-40B mounts that can tilt and swivel the speakers. I was thinking of mounting them toward the front of the side walls and, as you recommended, as high as possible. Then I would tilt and swivel them several degrees toward the main listening positions. What do you think? Do you think I should try these as front height and then as front wide? Do you think front height would be much better?

·
Registered
29,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez  /t/1421695/i-am-thinking-of-getting...-9-1-and-would-like-some-advice#post_22250418

Do you think I should try these as front height and then as front wide? Do you think front height would be much better?
Try both if you're curious. A 7.1 layout, like the kind you have, does a good job of creating a fairly seamless circle of sound around you. Wides can bridge the gap between your fronts and sides, IF you feel you have a gap there. Still, wide speakers are part of that circle. Height speakers are not part of that circle, since they add sound in a vertical direction (above you). This turns the circle into more of a bubble of sound, which I think is a more noticeable addition than closing a possible gap in the circle. But your preference might be different from mine, so try those speakers both ways before mounting them permanently. BTW, nice move on finding speakers that match your L/C/Rs. Will help keep your soundfield consistent sounding.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I prefer the bubble of sound you mention. If I mount them high on the side walls, would I be able to use them as front wide or front high whenever I want by changing the wiring on the receiver? Or would it just sound strange with front wide speakers so high? I really like the bubble of sound concept a lot more, but I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
29,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez  /t/1421695/i-am-thinking-of-getting...-9-1-and-would-like-some-advice#post_22251046

If I mount them high on the side walls, would I be able to use them as front wide or front high whenever I want by changing the wiring on the receiver? Or would it just sound strange with front wide speakers so high?
You'll do absolutely no harm by swapping wires and trying them as wide speakers, even if it is just to satisfy your curiosity. I mean, it's not like the surround police will bust you for sending the wrong signal to the wrong speakers. To answer your second question: the height speakers will be too high up to work properly as wides, just as putting those same speakers at ear level wouldn't give you height imaging.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot. I appreciate all your help and suggestions. Now I can't wait to get a 9.1 receiver and for the extra speakers to arrive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts