AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded the 1.11 demo version of the Fusion software, and was amazed that on my old 1.0G Celeron ASUS CUSL-2 HTPC with Radeon 7200 (yeah, I know, I really need to upgrade the whole system!) I was able to play back HiPix files perfectly. And the picture quality might have even exceeded the HiPix picture.

Are they selling the software standalone? It is exceptional. How the heck did they do that with such low CPU utilization? Seems impossible.

Wow!

Bob

·
Registered
308 Posts
I tested the Fusion player yesterday. Shocked. I am giddy. It looks great. So, this player playes back HiPix files no problem??? That would be awesome!

I have not heard any plans to release the software separately.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, it will play back HiPix files, but I could not get it to concatenate them. It will play just one then stop. not sure if there is a work around for this. But it does clearly show that software based playback is very possible on systems as low as 1G celeron!

Bob

·
Registered
530 Posts
bpearse, I am not sure if you meant to span the files to play files in a row automaticaly. The fusion software lets you make custom tpl files which is just a text file with the order of files you want to play.

dave

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Bob,

I have not researched the Fusion card. Where can I find a download for the demo player?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Pardon the dumb question, but if I understand the grand scheme of things, this software would allow you to work in conjunction with DVHSTools, rip the HD streams from tape to hard drive, and playback, with absolutely no need for any HD tuner card in the PC?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, you can, but of course you still need some source for the HD signal, either a PC card or a STB. The real value for me is two fold:

1) Allows me to play files back on a different PC than the one I am recording on. I can have one PC dedicated to recording shows, while watching previously recorded shows on another PC.

2) Allows more refined adjustments of the picture quality. I can use whatever resolution best fits my monitor. I can eliminate the annoying overscan that seems much worse on my HiPix card that on any other source for some reason. I can have better adjustment of gamma and other controls which my Radeon card provides.

As many of you fellow old timers recall, DVD playback was originally done on a dedicated card in the PC. Slowly, as PC's gained speed, software based solutions took over. The advantage was clearly better picture quality in the software solutions. I predict the same will happen to HDTV playback.

Bob

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpearse
Yes, you can, but of course you still need some source for the HD signal, either a PC card or a STB. The real value for me is two fold:
Oh you mean to tell me you couldnt read my mind about the things I didnt mention in my post? ;) I've got a 169time DTC-100 and also my TV is a Mits with firewire and tuner.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Be aware though that at last word DVIco did not have any intention of just selling the software.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.