AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thoroughly enjoying going down the hifi rabbit hole and learning lots.

So far I have:
Upgraded from a super generic kenwood receiver to a used Marantz SR 7002 for a very good price.
Upgraded to dual subs (nothing crazy high end, just used 10" subs that for now are doing the job) but do have a pretty flat response up to the crossover at 120hz.
Bought a UMIK-1 microphone and learned to use REW for ideal dual sub and speaker placement.
Pulled the front speakers ~3 feet off the front wall and optimized my listening and speaker positions.
(My room is ~20ft wide and ~10ft deep, and I listen with the speakers ~6ft apart ~6ft away).
Made some DIY diffusers and absorbers (mostly for behind me as the side reflections are much further away).

But the one thing that I have been saving for last (which maybe I should have done first), is evaluating my front speakers.

Currently I have Energy e:XL bookshelf speakers and they certainly seem to be doing a fine job (probably because of all the prior optimizations) but I am wondering if they are now the weakest link in my system? Would I get a noticeable improvement with better front speakers? Or would adding stereo amp give better bang for the buck?

I use my setup for home theater use, but what I do enjoy most is just pure and simple stereo music listening with the 2.2 setup (right now I use my PC or Xbox to play music through Spotify (Although I am using Tidal right now, as they had a trial promo).
I really do appreciate a good soundstage, and this would be one of the main things I would be hoping to improve.

So looking at my system, are my speakers clearly the weakest link?
And if so, what would be the absolute best DIY speaker I could build (up to the point of the other factors being the main limiting factor).

I was thinking that bookshelf speakers would be ideal, as I am using a sub for the low end, and I am listening not too far away.
I would have the means to make cabinets for them and solder any crossovers as long as there was clear instructions.
Adding to the complexity, I live in Canada, so someone who ships to Canada would be ideal. I do have some family in the US, so I could ship to them and then wait until they come and visit though.

Anyways I am keen for suggestions.
As for price, lets assume price is not a factor (as I am graduating soon, so might be my self graduation present), but certainly I would be wary of significant diminishing returns, or other aspects of my setup being the main limiting factor.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would look at diysoundgroup.com ht-8 when they come back in stock if you are looking for a speaker that is not large based on home theater use and music you speak of. That's a good start.
Sounds good, yeah I will look into those!
How would those compare to the X-LS Encore? As those were ones that seemed reasonable, based on a quick search.
Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Titan 615lx. Separate cabinets for woofers and upper range make them way more mobile than other speakers as capable.
Those do seem impressive and very tempting! Do you think it has too much low end that I would not end up using? Or do you think it would replace my need for a sub?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Those do seem impressive and very tempting! Do you think it has too much low end that I would not end up using? Or do you think it would replace my need for a sub?
Depends how much bass you like some of us on here go pretty crazy but I would think it would do a better job than your subs especially on the midbass maybe not the low end . Any of the diysoundgroup speakers are great super dynamic with no distortion. I 1own 10 volt 10s 2 concentric 8s and next week 5 fusion 12s lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

as a budget is "not an issue" for now
like @hd0823, the HT or HTM 12's are a very great choice,
the sound field from the 15" SEOS horns is phenomenal
either straight at you or play around with the toe-in
and for almost all legacy stereo,
my F15's are just that good
and having a new turntable, the vinyl is better than ever . .
a real treat for "boomer" me ( I actually dragged my records to Germany and brought even more back in the early 70's)
having said that
and wrt to issues of bass, and even mid-bass
as I inquired of @mtg90,
the HTM12's (and maybe the HT12's)
can be build to get the tuning into the usable 50-ish range, includes a good shot at MBM response
use the same flatpack baffle but make the cabinet, iirc
about twice as deep, 18".
get 5 for the base layer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, it seems like I will research the ht-8 (or 10) and Titan 615lx and the The Travelers - have not easily found their on and off axis response. But I will look more later.

What is the main difference between the HTM and HT?

But it seems like people would recommend the Titan more?

Thanks for all the input and any future suggestions.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Travelers - have not easily found their on and off axis response. But I will look more later.
You may not find the off axis as the travelers are intended for music. Jim is on the HT guide and usually replies within 1-2 days. If you post in The Travelers thread, he may get back to you quickly.

A couple more of their designs are the Statements or the Anthologies. They are both considered good for home theater but if your main purpose for the speakers is HT then I would definitely go with DIYSG speakers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may not find the off axis as the travelers are intended for music. Jim is on the HT guide and usually replies within 1-2 days. If you post in The Travelers thread, he may get back to you quickly.

A couple more of their designs are the Statements or the Anthologies. They are both considered good for home theater but if your main purpose for the speakers is HT then I would definitely go with DIYSG speakers.
Thanks, Ill look into that and message him.

I would like them to be optimized for stereo music listening, although the speaker would be used in a HT as well.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You are off to a really good start with the Marantz, Umik and room treatments.

For speakers you'll have to really decide on your priority if you would rather have them ideal for HT or for Music. You can set up a system to be bitchen for both honestly but IMO if you are 75% music and 25% HT, it'd be cheaper to go a different rout.

I like the idea of the HTM 12's with big subs. I'd recommend getting 21" pro subs, the Lavoce is a cheap pro sub that competes well with the B&C 21DS. The only downside is they require bigger boxes than some of the other ULF subs.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Built mini statements years ago and they are great speakers, may add full statements at some point. Good advice above about movies vs music.

Couple years ago I wanted titans but built htm10 pair and liked them so much I made them surrounds and put titan x3 up front. Go as big as you can afford and have space for.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Built mini statements years ago and they are great speakers, may add full statements at some point. Good advice above about movies vs music.

Couple years ago I wanted titans but built htm10 pair and liked them so much I made them surrounds and put titan x3 up front. Go as big as you can afford and have space for.
How do the mini statements compare to the HTM10's with music? I was thinking about trying them in a small system that I have. There is always the Bordeaux. They are more expensive though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are off to a really good start with the Marantz, Umik and room treatments.

For speakers you'll have to really decide on your priority if you would rather have them ideal for HT or for Music. You can set up a system to be bitchen for both honestly but IMO if you are 75% music and 25% HT, it'd be cheaper to go a different rout.

I like the idea of the HTM 12's with big subs. I'd recommend getting 21" pro subs, the Lavoce is a cheap pro sub that competes well with the B&C 21DS. The only downside is they require bigger boxes than some of the other ULF subs.
Thanks! Yeah I have really enjoyed the process. Thankfully I have not been bogged down too much by analysis paralysis with all the other aspects of this, but for some reason the DIY speakers really seem to be getting to me and making it hard to decide.

I think the main priority would be >75% music and

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
FTR

from 7-ish feet for my HTM6's in my 100 sq. ft. mancave,
usually legacy stereo , with subs is better
than ATMOS 5.3.4, Neo:X 5.3.2
the toe in s moderate
the huge sound field isPFG!

I only got the 6's as the 8's were OS.
If you can swing it, get the 12's

then again, i also wish i had room for titans . . .
it's all compromise

1 - 20 of 26 Posts