AVS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I have really enjoyed the process. Thankfully I have not been bogged down too much by analysis paralysis with all the other aspects of this, but for some reason the DIY speakers really seem to be getting to me and making it hard to decide.

I think the main priority would be >75% music and

·
Registered
216 Posts
For what it's worth, I just got 3 HTM12s, the new design and I'm busy building them. See my slow progress here.

I will say though, the biggest improvement I saw on my setup was when I swapped my AVR for separates. It blew my socks off. To be fair, I only did it a week ago and haven't done any real setup besides running Audyssey. I will go through that effort once my HTM-12s are done and I can move my current L and R speakers to back surrounds.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
How do the mini statements compare to the HTM10's with music? I was thinking about trying them in a small system that I have. There is always the Bordeaux. They are more expensive though.
I'm not sure that's a fair comparison, I'd compare the titans and the statements/minis. I'm gonna assume the full statements have similar voicing etc. The minis get distinctly brighter once you're above the tweeter horizontal axis, the full statements probably don't? The htm10 is not a full range speaker and less expensive than the minis, and from memory (in different rooms with different treatement etc) I preferred the statements minis. For music, and I wouldn't say it was critical listening just they had more detail I thought, but with movies the htm10 monitor sound and better directivity grew on me. There is a dynamic element to the horns that is addictive. Haven't looked at the Bordeaux before but they look good.

Okay, today, went between both speakers, listened to the same material. Been wanting to do this since I got the titans put together. Different rooms, not good treatment, not optimal. Totally different sized rooms.

The first thing is the efficiency of the titans. Yes you can throw more power at the statement minis, but there is an immediacy and effortlessness that they struggle to compete with. Okay so turn the volume up and listen to a few tracks, finished with spoonman. A fair test would be both speakers in the same space not me walking two flights of stairs to compare, but anyway. The open back mids on the statements have nice ambiance but in comparison I think they color the sound. It's a trade off. The titans have an amazing image, earlier I got up several times to make sure the center was not playing (the statements are just two channel and image very well but I know there isn't a center)(Living Dead Girl on titans I thought the center and surrounds were on, had to check both). Also the detail was actually better on the titans, there is a clarity of the horn upper section that is very revealing. I can't wait to get more room treatments done, they are going to sound even better. The titans sold me on the spoon solo later in the song, it sounds like there are at least two pairs of spoons being played, maybe done in the mix, one higher pitch and one lower. Didn't make out as much detail on the statements.

Both sound very good, a couple notes to be fair. The statements need room between them and the wall. They sound dramatically different so if you don't have the room I'd choose something different. The titans can be nearer to the wall and sound good. The room the titans are in is less optimal, low ceiling, angled attic ceiling, and they are close to the side walls, they do have some side wall absorption. I'd bet the full statements have better vertical control and would image better than the minis and seem more detailed. The titans better horizontal dispersion control is probably the reason they sound more detailed. In the end, i'd choose the titans if I had to choose one. And all this is with music, with soundtracks the titans are amazing, with the htm10 as surrounds, it is better than any theater I've been in. A less important but cool feature of the titans is the two piece cabinet, they are way more portable than comparable speakers.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Cool that somebody brought up the Bordeaux, they‘ve been way too unpopular imo. They are the successor to the statements 2, so basically the upgrade of the upgrade of the statements.
I‘m currently in the process of building 3 pairs of em. Gonna be active since I don‘t like passive crossovers plus I‘m oem customer at hypex so I paid about as much for their amps as I would‘ve spent on the crossovers shipped from meniscus.
Currently waiting on the amps and tweeters to arrive, everything else including wood is already here!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Cool that somebody brought up the Bordeaux, they‘ve been way too unpopular imo. They are the successor to the statements 2, so basically the upgrade of the upgrade of the statements.
I‘m currently in the process of building 3 pairs of em. Gonna be active since I don‘t like passive crossovers plus I‘m oem customer at hypex so I paid about as much for their amps as I would‘ve spent on the crossovers shipped from meniscus.
Currently waiting on the amps and tweeters to arrive, everything else including wood is already here!
Its not confusing as to why they are unpopular. The statements have been a staple kit for some time now and the Bordeaux's aren't really an upgrade but costs 50% more.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts