AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I auditioned JL Audio E110 sub and my questions about E110,E112,subwoofers in general I have listened to JL audio E110 at an audio shop, in another city.The reason why I want a sub is mostly feeling the sound at my body,gut especially :), also hearing the lower frequencies which my speakers(or any other speaker) can't give.

When we arrived,I asked the sales person if we can see JL Audio E110.He brought it in a box .When I asked if we can listen to it,my mother got shocked :) Because she thought that it's not certain that we will buy it and we will tire them(but I was knowing that they even have
special rooms for demonstrating audio components to people).

Sales person used a few cds to demonstrate the sub.First he run the sub with low volume level.He started turning the volume of the sub more and he said that after that level it is resonance,and then he turned the level a bit more and I almost felt like an earthquake was happening in the room, the resonance of ventilation grilles were very audible.But I noticed one thing which I didn't like: Although I was feeling that it was shaking the sofa and I was feeling the bass at my legs which contact with sofa, (also I remember like I felt the bass on outer part of my arms but I am not sure if I remember this right) I was not able to feel any bass at my gut/chest. I regret very much that I didn't take some of my cds from
home.

I am not sure but I think the cds that they used to demonstrate had very low bass, but not hitting bass.I had read on a web page that it is mid bass which "hits",not very low frequency bass.Still,when he turned off the subwoofer,although the speakers look like they
were expensive,the sound became very thin compared to when sub was turned on.

I said that I don't feel the bass at my gut and he said that it's very difficult to have it in hifi,it's generally possible with professional subwoofers or more expensive and more powerful subwoofers.Then he played with some settings of the subwoofer and suddenly I started feeling the bass at my gut powerfully.I said him that it's better now,then he said "Don't understand me wrong,but this is not music,this is resonance". At home,when I increase bass level of my receiver(I have a stereo setup without subbwoofer),speakers give stronger bass but I think actually receiver is adding artificial bass.Is it same with
subwoofers when you play with their settings?

Then I listened to one of Monitor Audio's biggest subwoofers,but it was a 5+1 setup and I listened to the sound in a movie(Transformers).I was standing up and the volume level was too high, I couldn't understand much the power of the sub and the bass didn't impress me much actually. Then he asked which sub I liked more and I said that I liked JL one more and he said "it's different/it's a different story".So I understood that he thought JL E110 is better than Monitor Audio one.(price of both of them were very similar)

I have looked at internet reviews of both Jl Audio E110 and E112, cnet reviewer commented in his review that it is the best compact subwoofer yet,for E110 and in another review E112 earned Top Pick award.But in a review of E110, the reviewer wrote that E110 isn't gut-
punching and this made me confused.

If I could listen to E110 and E112 with some of my cds with the gut-punching bass (which are gut punching when listening with my b&w 683s with high volume levels) then it would be great but we returned from that city and there is no shop which sells JL Audio or B&W in my home city, unfortunately.

The sales person also said that I can buy a stereo amplifier instead of buying a subwoofer to hear more bass,he said that no receiver can do better than a stereo amplifier in a stereo setup but I don't think it will be a good choice for me.

Has anybody heard JL Audio E110,E112,B&W PV1D or B&W Asw10cm?What does s/he think about it?Also,Is it true that mid-bass gives the punch effect?Don't understand me wrong, I don't want the subwoofer just for punching effect but still it's important for me.Also don't recommend me internet-direct subwoofer companies please.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
A few questions. Where are you from? I assume I.D. companies don’t ship to your area or you wouldn’t be asking people not to recommend them. What will be the subs main usage, music or movies? How big is your listening room (volume)? Is the room sealed off or open to other rooms? If open to other rooms, what are the sizes of those rooms (volumes)?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer.

Some I.D companies may ship it to my country but there is a problem: What will I do if the unit becomes defected, how will it be repaired?I think I would have to send the sub to an abroad country for repair and this is not something which I want to do.

Usage will be: %80 for music,%20 for movies. My room size is 35m,sealed off.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks for your answer.

Some I.D companies may ship it to my country but there is a problem: What will I do if the unit becomes defected, how will it be repaired?I think I would have to send the sub to an abroad country for repair and this is not something which I want to do.

A good chunk of in store companies will also make you ship the subwoofer or amp back to them should have a problem.

Don't let that be your reason to over-pay for an inferior product.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
How about an SVS SB13 or XTZ are they available in your country? if so give one an audition if not, the JL would be a fantastic sub but two would be better down the road when budget allows;)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Thanks for your answer.

With a 35 cubic meter room (considered small) and being sealed off, I think either JL Audio sub would perform extremely well for music and very good for movies. Obviously the E112 with its 12-inch driver will provide you a step up and provide more impressive bass, but from everything I’ve read, the E110 isn’t a slouch. There are quite a few reviews, such as Jim Wilson (theJman) here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...ews/73616-jl-audio-e112-subwoofer-review.html

The E112 subwoofer is probably pretty comparable to an SVS SB13-Ultra (a subwoofer I do own), so should provide you with what you seek. Just remember, the audio store was probably a lot bigger (and not closed off) than your room, so it wouldn’t have the punch that it will provide in a small room.

Also check out their performance here: http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for your answers.

STL D wrote:
A good chunk of in store companies will also make you ship the subwoofer or amp back to them should have a problem.

Don't let that be your reason to over-pay for an inferior product.
I am not sure if in store companies in my country will do that,but even if they do that still I consider it risky.For example, we had a refrigerator and a part of it malfunctioned and it was under warranty.There was a technical service for that company, in my city and they said the store which sold us the refrigerator should change the part with a new one.The owner of the shop stopped answering our phone calls and we opened a lawsuit and won the case.

If something like this happens with an I.D company subwoofer, I am not sure how we can claim our right.

audiofan1 wrote:
How about an SVS SB13 or XTZ are they available in your country? if so give one an audition.
SVS is only available via internet order,it doesn't have a distributor in my country.I have had a quick look at XTZ,but unfortunately it doesn't have a distributor here either.

dsrussell wrote:
With a 35 cubic meter room (considered small) and being sealed off, I think either JL Audio sub would perform extremely well for music and very good for movies. Obviously the E112 with its 12-inch driver will provide you a step up and provide more impressive bass, but from everything I’ve read, the E110 isn’t a slouch. There are quite a few reviews, such as Jim Wilson (theJman) here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html
Thanks for directing me to that review.

Also thanks people for saying that JL Audio may be a good choice,they made me happy really, I really respect this brand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just remember, the audio store was probably a lot bigger (and not closed off) than your room, so it wouldn’t have the punch that it will provide in a small room.

Actually I listened to the sub in a listening room in the store.But still, the sales person said that it will work better in my room(if I remember right he said that it will work better in my room cause there will be less resonating objects).

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Actually I listened to the sub in a listening room in the store.But still, the sales person said that it will work better in my room(if I remember right he said that it will work better in my room cause there will be less resonating objects).
One thing I can safely say, once you have a good subwoofer you will be on a rattle hunt for quite awhile. We all have to silence our own resonating objects throughout the house, be they doors, paintings, wall art, etc). :).

Reactions: audiofan1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts