AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had a great 47" Westinghouse 1080p TV for around three years now, and we all just found out that it crapped out on us. Basically looks like the old tracking lines that VCR's used to put out on the TV surround the whole picture of ours, but not in grey, in colors. But I digress...

Basically we have the 4-year warranty with Best Buy and we originally paid $2000 for the unit back in 2006ish. Now we're looking for the right replacement model, and honestly there are just so many TV's I don't know which one to pick. I have a few pre-requisites if you guys are willing to help me pick one out:

Musts:

- LCD

- 47" or larger (preferably)

- Wall mountable

- 2+ HDMI ports (FiOS box, plus a PS3/360 hooked up sometimes)

That's really all I need. I'm attracted to the Sony Bravias because they are downright beautiful, but I don't know if there's better fish in the sea. Things like built in Netflix, Pandora, and the like are extremely good and are a plus in my book. I recently looked at Best Buy's line up and they have some damn nice TVs...50" Samsung, 47" Bravia, etc. If you can just gimmie the name/some reviews/best buy page on it. Thanks guys, very appreciated!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
You can do a forum search if you are looking for specific models. If you just want opinions then you can just review the first 4 pages of this forum and see that this question is asked 4 times every day. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
117 Posts
why dont you try new LED range of samsung...its pretty much cool....

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnked6 /forum/post/17011349

Best Buy sells the LN55B650 for $1,999. This is a 55" lcd tv that should fit what you're looking for.

I second that,,, that Samsung is a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virp123 /forum/post/17012003

why dont you try new LED range of samsung...its pretty much cool....

Good suggestion as well,, if the poster can come up with the extra cash the Samsung LED is the way to go.

Just make sure to treat yourself and go bigger than the 47" you had,,, 55' will blow away your past 47" size,,,,, you will be very happy !!!

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that 55" samsung looks beautiful, probably the one we'll go with. I'm gonna say no to the extra $1000 I have to pay towards the LED. Mainly because the TV's gonna be going in my living room where only my parents usually watch it with Verizon fios hooked up, and I'm not even gonna be living in my house for more than 5 years.

Now, this may be a little far-fetched, but does anyone know the employee discount off hand on these tvs? and how employee discount works when you bought the TV for full price, but now work for Best Buy?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al2x /forum/post/17013593

that 55" samsung looks beautiful, probably the one we'll go with. I'm gonna say no to the extra $1000 I have to pay towards the LED. Mainly because the TV's gonna be going in my living room where only my parents usually watch it with Verizon fios hooked up, and I'm not even gonna be living in my house for more than 5 years.

Now, this may be a little far-fetched, but does anyone know the employee discount off hand on these tvs? and how employee discount works when you bought the TV for full price, but now work for Best Buy?

Usually its a marginal discount. Manufacturers like Samsung do run employee discount promotion periods that give 50% off but, thats not all year around. The basic BB discount is 5% up from cost. I worked for Tweeter before they went belly up. Now half my friends i worked with are in management at BB.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al2x /forum/post/17013593

Why would you remotely think that just because you now work for BB that you can apply that to a previous purchase.

A lot of times companies try to do the right thing by giving employees and customers benefits and certain leeways. Invariably, someone will concoct some scheme or idea of entitlement and be upset when they can't invoke that "privilege". This is why a lot of these programs go away because the schemers have more time to concoct schemes than the company has time to anticipate what they will come up with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, few things: i checked my discount and since the TV is technically "on sale" employees usually don't get lower than the sale prices, so its better to buy off my discount, and i can still use some RZ points!

And i talked to a buddy in Home theater today, and he said 99.9% of the time we do replacements, especially because the fact that BBY doesn't even carry any Westinghouse TVs anymore, he's almost guaranteeing a replacement for me.

Now one more question...there was another Samsung 55" right above the one that you guys are suggesting, the one you're suggesting is actually $1899, and the one above it was also samsung, 55", and it was 1999. I think the only difference from the main card was the contrast ratio, 1000000:00 dynamic on the highend, 80000:00 dynamic on the $1899 tv (this one also has a touch of red bezel on the bottom too). Any other difference?

And also one last question -- any chance Netflix capability will be coming to this tv? I have an xbox with netflix, but sometimes i can't use it, any chance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might want to speak to customer service before assuming they're going to hand you $2000 in store credit. They could also provide you with a similar replacement model based on the specs of your current TV.

Also, you'd better forget about using RewardZone points now that you're an employee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOily /forum/post/17017927

You might want to speak to customer service before assuming they're going to hand you $2000 in store credit. They could also provide you with a similar replacement model based on the specs of your current TV.

Also, you'd better forget about using RewardZone points now that you're an employee.

Nope, the replacement plan is a replacement within the original price range purchased, plus I can just have somebody else, not me go in and use reward zone, no biggie.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you can get BB to pricematch you should easily be able to get the 54" Panny V10 for $2000 as well as the Sammy 52b750. Currently (as of today actually) their Samsung LEDs are also slashed and you can grab a 46" 6/7000 for around $2000. edit: you can try picking up the new 52" Sharp 700UN also.

All of the above rank higher than the 55b650 save the LED, which is more based on personal preference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts