AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 10 years of duty my NHT SW2(10") sub finally bit the dust. I was showing off my system while using Saving Private Ryan as the demo. It died during the opening battle scene. I had my HK-7200 turned up to 0dB and the 80W amp that controlled the sub was about half. About 5 minutes into the scene it died and the sub had an burnt electrical smell to it. The sub amp is dead too! What I don't understand is if the sub amp was rated at 80W and the sub could handle 125W, what caused it to die?

Nevertheless, I need a sub! I am lost in the maze of sub info and really don't know what sub to get next. I'll use it 90% for movies and 10% for music. I'd like not to go over $700. Room is 19X11.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
It died because at 0db, the 80w amp was sending a clipped signal to the 125w driver. Poor thing never had a chance.

Tim

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegagen
I blew my sub!!!
If only it could return the favor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozakk
If only it could return the favor.

I had to think on that one! Too funny!!! :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Man, your sub and receiver were at complete opposite ends of the audio spectrum. Top of the line receiver and bottom(ish) sub. Your sub upgrade will bring your system up to par. $700.00 will buy you quite a step up in the sub department from where you were. If you're not a DIY guy, take a look at some of the offerings from HSU and SVS. Both make fine products.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850
Man, your sub and receiver were at complete opposite ends of the audio spectrum. Top of the line receiver and bottom(ish) sub.

Yeah I know, but when I originally purchased it back in 1995 I had it connected to a Yamaha RX-V1070. Back then both the sub and the receiver were not considered at the bottom. I upgraded to the HK last year and saw no need to replace my NHT speakers, all of which I bought in 1995, because they still sound good. Well that was until I trashed the sub.

I have plans to replace the front 3 in the near future, but first things first...the sub!

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Velodyne DD15

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I know, but when I originally purchased it back in 1995 I had it connected to a Yamaha RX-V1070. Back then both the sub and the receiver were not considered at the bottom. I upgraded to the HK last year and saw no need to replace my NHT speakers, all of which I bought in 1995, because they still sound good. Well that was until I trashed the sub.

I have plans to replace the front 3 in the near future, but first things first...the sub!

No sense in replacing your front three unless there's something wrong with them.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
... I think Jeff missed the part about not wanting to go over $700. :p

Tim

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut
It died because at 0db, the 80w amp was sending a clipped signal to the 125w driver. Poor thing never had a chance.

Tim
Huh? Thought that his amp would be "line level" to the sub and the sub's AMP itself would be the one generating the power?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
His amp/receiver wasn't the problem. The 80w mentioned was for the amp in the sub. The 80w amp on the sub is way underpowered to try and approach 0db. At that level with the sub gain at 50% it would be clipping very hard. Transient peaks in material like Saving Private Ryan would be very abusive on a sub driver rated at 125w.

.. That's when the magic smoke escapes.

Tim

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
I had to think on that one! Too funny!!! :)
...at least you got it!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Spend a little more and get either a 20-39PC-Plus sub or spend a little more then that and get dual PB-10s.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.