AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Panasonic 65VT25 and it's being delivered in a few days. I was very impressed by both the 2D and 3D image quality in-store and after reading lots of information (including here at AVSforum) I decided to take the plunge with it.

Any advice for someone who's both new to 3D and plasma (the TV I've been using is a 61" Samsung DLP)? A few things I've noticed from poking around online:

* apparently since these TVs are very power-hungry it's not a good idea to power them via a surge protector/powerstrip and just connect it directly to a wall outlet. Confirm/deny?

* I've heard that in the early life of the TV it's best to avoid black bars (letterboxed movies etc) to prevent some parts of the screen being used more than others. Can anyone elaborate on this?

* I've heard about using color slides to help condition the TV. What's the benefit of this and is there a simple how-to guide available?

* Apparently the default THX picture setting is excellent, but if anyone has custom settings they think are more optimal I'll give those a try too!

* I was disappointed to discover that my AVR is not 3D compatible (I have the Sony STR-DH800 and only the 810 is compatible!) so short of upgrading the receiver it looks like I will have to run HDMI video direct to the TV and optical audio to the AVR if I want 3D. I have a pretty basic 5.1 set-up and I wouldn't consider myself an audio snob, am I likely to notice any degradation in sound quality in movies by going from HDMI 5.1 audio to optical?

Thanks, and any other tips would be gratefully received!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Plasma's use more juice than LED but its still a minimal amount, probably less than $100.00/year.

Yes avoid black bars for at least 100 hrs.

Some people say only to break in your set using slides if your going to get it calibrated, most say just turn down the brightness and avoid black bars for the first 100 hrs. Thats what I would do.

THX is supposed to be very accurate but dim, you may not like it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts