AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey about 6 weeks ago i bought a ken kreisel DXD12012, and by the reviews this should be more then enough for anyone. Boy was i wrong, this did not perform in my home(having living room/kitchen of 60m2 and open stairway up to an equal area in second floor). I even ended up having specialists home and no luck, i had to turn output bass to maximum in the reciever and this is just wrong. And now im in search for a one that works... Jl audio Fathom 113 is one that im considering trying out, but i need convinsing that this is the one... I want more than just the deepest bass. Oh almost forgot, i tested the kk dxd 12012 at a friends 25m2 room and it sounded better then i have ever heard period!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,852 Posts

Quote:
... having living room/kitchen of 60m2 and open stairway up to an equal area in second floor ...
60m2 = ~646 sq.ft. x ~8' ceilings = ~5,168 cu.ft. x 2 = ~10,336 cu.ft.


Additional info that would be helpful: Your budget (range or max) and your location.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larseinar  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better#post_24085395


i tested the kk dxd 12012 at a friends 25m2 room and it sounded better then i have ever heard period!
There's a big difference in the size of his space and the size of yours. That should be telling you something. I doubt any single sub of moderate size will do your room justice. As for reviews, unless back up by cold hard data they're only opinions, each of which, along with $5, will get you a cup of coffee.
 
  • Like
Reactions: braveheart123

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larseinar  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better/0_40#post_24085395


Hey about 6 weeks ago i bought a ken kreisel DXD12012, and by the reviews this should be more then enough for anyone. Boy was i wrong, this did not perform in my home(having living room/kitchen of 60m2 and open stairway up to an equal area in second floor). I even ended up having specialists home and no luck, i had to turn output bass to maximum in the reciever and this is just wrong. And now im in search for a one that works... Jl audio Fathom 113 is one that im considering trying out, but i need convinsing that this is the one... I want more than just the deepest bass. Oh almost forgot, i tested the kk dxd 12012 at a friends 25m2 room and it sounded better then i have ever heard period!

Did you corner load the sub and tried different locations? Also if you can post a pic of the room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

And yes i tried all placements right/left corner(as much as i could). But minor changes in sound. seems wron to me that i need 10.000 Euro sub to get the sound....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larseinar  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better#post_24088499


seems wron to me that i need 10.000 Euro sub to get the sound....
You don't. You do need to pay attention when advise is given. Your room is simply much too large for one small sub to fill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes i saw that, but the specialist i had at home told me that the p10 from dahli would be enough with its 3x 10". Therefore i question the need of 2 subs...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,852 Posts

Quote:
... the specialist i had at home told me that the p10 from dahli would be enough with its 3x 10".
The Dali SUB P-10 DSS ?

- 10" driver

- two 10" passive radiators

- 300W RMS amp

- 24-250 +/-3dB


How did he define "enough"? IMO, that sub isn't nearly enough for a ~5,168 cu.ft. space open to another space of equal size.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larseinar  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better#post_24090157


Yes i saw that, but the specialist i had at home told me that the p10 from dahli would be enough with its 3x 10". Therefore i question the need of 2 subs...
Said 'specialist' needs to find a different occupation.


A room of your size would need four of those little subs to reach reference levels comfortably.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dom Di Stroia

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larseinar  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better/0_40#post_24088499


And yes i tried all placements right/left corner(as much as i could). But minor changes in sound. seems wron to me that i need 10.000 Euro sub to get the sound....

What about behind you are there any corners or solid walls? Did you get around to doing a sub crawl and as for the Dali, its not going to be enough .Also did you use the green dots on the back of the sub?


and as one last effort here's the link to a new dedicated KK forum and perhaps other owners can help with proper setup.

http://www.speakershack.co.uk/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better#post_24090195


The Dali SUB P-10 DSS ?

- 10" driver

- two 10" passive radiators

- 300W RMS amp

- 24-250 +/-3dB


How did he define "enough"? IMO, that sub isn't nearly enough for a ~5,168 cu.ft. space open to another space of equal size.

Agreed. That sub is no where near enough to pressurize that space. You need to go multiple subs. What's your max budget?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,949 Posts

I agree with the posts stating that you will need more than one sub to adequately pressurize your space and I agree that a single Dali will not do it.

 

I would normally recommend SVS, PSA, Rythmik and others as well but since you are not in the states I don't think anything but SVS will work because of shipping etc. I do believe SVS has distributors in Europe so I would take a close look at what they have and if you could get them.

 

If you can I would look at a pair of SVS PB12+ just to start. The sad truth is you have a lot of open space and it all needs to be pressurized in order to have great bass. I don't know your budget but I think you have to seriously resign yourself to the fact that you will need more than one subwoofer.

 

Perhaps you could add another Kreisel to the one you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Ken does highly recommend Duo or Quattro setups, as it is a whole new animal and it will give you the full " BALANCED 3D HIGH VELOCITY PUSH-PULL-PULSAR DEEP BASS PRESSURE WAVEFRONT Technology™". You can also contact ken at [email protected] for assistance with what you have right now, but I would consider a duo setup. My buddy has a larger room than yours with a duo setup, and it easily pressurized the room and his neighbours room. I also have 1 dxd 12012, and I should have my second one by mind to late Jan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better#post_24110930


it will give you the full " BALANCED 3D HIGH VELOCITY PUSH-PULL-PULSAR DEEP BASS PRESSURE WAVEFRONT Technology™".

That's a joke, right? Ive never seen a weaponized subwoofer. True military grade components.
"The only sub that sounds like a real bomb...because it is one!"
You should use smileys when making funnies



Edit: I see it was not a joke. Sorry, mine was. No insult intended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better#post_24111041


That's a joke, right? Ive never seen a weaponized subwoofer. True military grade components.
"The only sub that sounds like a real bomb...because it is one!
You should use smileys when making funnies

Its quoted from Ken directly. If you feel it's a joke, then I may suggest you email Ken and ask him that.

I see your point of view, but when you hear a duo, you will agree on why he named it so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better#post_24111041


Edit: I see it was not a joke. Sorry, mine was. No insult intended.

It's cool. Marketing jargon is ok. That one is just particularly....long. And just having fun with it.


The acronym is cool: B3HVPPPDBPW Technology



Seriously though, my kidding around is not to insult the performance of the subwoofer or its designer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better/0_40#post_24110930


Ken does highly recommend Duo or Quattro setups, as it is a whole new animal and it will give you the full " BALANCED 3D HIGH VELOCITY PUSH-PULL-PULSAR DEEP BASS PRESSURE WAVEFRONT Technology™". You can also contact ken at [email protected] for assistance with what you have right now, but I would consider a duo setup. My buddy has a larger room than yours with a duo setup, and it easily pressurized the room and his neighbours room. I also have 1 dxd 12012, and I should have my second one by mind to late Jan.

Your so lucky, but I hope to be joining you soon with a second as I've heard the duo is indeed something to be heard



Here's a link to a new dedicated forum for KK speakers started by an owner.

http://www.speakershack.co.uk/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larseinar  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better/0_50#post_24090157


Yes i saw that, but the specialist i had at home told me that the p10 from dahli would be enough with its 3x 10". Therefore i question the need of 2 subs...

I assume you're in Europe. I get the feeling that European dealers have different expectations of sub bass than American dealers, and certainly very different from the expectations in this forum. Hence, that specialist's suggestion of the Dali P10 might not have been unusual for him, but is quite laughable by this forum's standards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1  /t/1506152/i-bought-a-new-subwoofer-giving-it-back-and-looking-for-a-better#post_24112110


[/B]

Your so lucky, but I hope to be joining you soon with a second as I've heard the duo is indeed something to be heard



Here's a link to a new dedicated forum for KK speakers started by an owner.

http://www.speakershack.co.uk/


Yea, I can't wait myself. However, I am not looking forward to breaking in the second sub, as it took me 6 months to fully break in the 1st sub. These subs take looonnngg to break in and open up.
 
1 - 20 of 152 Posts
Top