AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the full story last week I bought a samsung LN46C630K1F for 899$brought it home and thought it was very nice.

People at work were telling me you should have gotten a LED bla bla it was much nicer. So I went ahead and returned the tv and got a samsung UN46C6300SF for 1250$.

I brought it home set up fix the settings to what the other was setup like. The pq was not any better. If anything this set had a drawback and was due to the edge lighting believe. In dark scenes in the movie 2012 I could see light spots in the screen in the left middle and in the corners. I have a keen eye & I notice this kinda stuff.

I paid about 400$ more and PQ is not better nor worse but with this light spot problem I feel like returning it and getting the other tv back. Would that be a dumb ideal you think ? Should I just live with it ? thanks

By the way do LED tv's last longer and less prone to break compared to LCD's ?

·
Registered
662 Posts
there's no need to make fun of the guy, when a person makes a mistake they make a mistake.

Now, purchasing a LED doesn't necessarily conote a better screen, it's 100% in the specifics of the speciifc tv you purchase. It's not as if LED's are instantly better than non-LED lit LCD's, and the same logic works for plasmas and so on. With that said, the 6300 is very well reviewed for its price range, so I would see if you could get some good calibration settings going, and see if the screen uniformity/clouding issues persist, and if so (and they still bother you and PQ doesn't seem to improve) you should look into investing into either your previous tv or a different one altogether.

-Vader

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unfortunately, I think many people, and I include myself in that group, are being hoodwinked into spending hundreds of dollars more for LED sets that are supposedly "better" than LCD's, when as BoilerJim points out, LED's are just LCD's with a different type of lighting system. I was at an electronics retailer yesterday, and I overheard a salesman explain to a prospective purchaser, and many times over, how LED TV's are better than LCD's, without offering a shred of factual support for this assertion. My new LG LED TV, which I love, suffers from some of the common shortcomings of LED TV's, such as flashlighting and backlight bleed. I honestly can't say that it is "better" than my 2 year old LCD, just different, although the very slim panel is cool and stylish. If I were you, I would exchange the LED for the LCD that you were more happy with, or you will be constantly second guessing yourself about it.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davv /forum/post/19639738

Heres the full story last week I bought a samsung LN46C630K1F for 899$brought it home and thought it was very nice.

People at work were telling me you should have gotten a LED bla bla it was much nicer. So I went ahead and returned the tv and got a samsung UN46C6300SF for 1250$.

I brought it home set up fix the settings to what the other was setup like. The pq was not any better. If anything this set had a drawback and was due to the edge lighting believe. In dark scenes in the movie 2012 I could see light spots in the screen in the left middle and in the corners. I have a keen eye & I notice this kinda stuff.

I paid about 400$ more and PQ is not better nor worse but with this light spot problem I feel like returning it and getting the other tv back. Would that be a dumb ideal you think ? Should I just live with it ? thanks

By the way do LED tv's last longer and less prone to break compared to LCD's ?

Don't feel bad. The LED/LCD difference is not as simple as some would have you believe. For example, fully back-lit LED TVs with Local Dimming have the best currently available type of lighting and tend to be Excellent performers.

The edge-lit LED you bought has some uniformity issues that can vary widely from sample to sample, and I would go so far as to say that edge-lit LCDs as a group are not as uniform as either Back-Lit LED, or CCFL, (the type of light that non LED TVs use.)

Long story short. I would take back the LED set and get your original choice.

As far as I know, there is no data supporting that LEDs last longer or are less prone to break.

I hope you can get a TV that satisfiies you, like your original purchase.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/19639759

LEDs are LCDs

No $hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19639807

#1 Dollar signs go in front of the price, not after it (i.e. $899 and $1,250)

#2 LEDs are LCDs. After 58 posts you should know that. As for the poor picture quality, if you have been reading the UNxxC6300 thread then you would have known that some units have been plagued with poor screen uniformity issues such as clouding and light bleed from the edge-lit LEDs.

Sorry you are disappointed but $hit happens when you don't do your homework and listen to people who don't know what they are talking about. How many of those "people at work" gave you money to pay the added cost of the UN46C6300? I'mn guessing the answer is none.

So now you want to return the TV because you made a bad choice. Very frustrating to those of us who try to make informed decisions rather than just buying a pretty face.

If your got nothing nice/helpful to say then say nothing.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19640958

Actually I thought I was being helpful. Most people already know dollar signs go in front of the amount.

He got it in front on the reply

Davv...edge-lit displays can real real hit and miss. If you get one with no uniformity issues they can be great but that seems to be a roll of the dice. Also take into consideration the C630 is one of the most solid performing displays put out this year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr /forum/post/19641074

He got it in front on the reply

Davv...edge-lit displays can real real hit and miss. If you get one with no uniformity issues they can be great but that seems to be a roll of the dice. Also take into consideration the C630 is one of the most solid performing displays put out this year.

I'm going to it and get a LN46C630K1F again. Thats good to hear that 630 is a good preformer. Plus this tv has the matte screen which I prefer anyway. I read one review about the 630 and the guy said the tv does not do a good job with shadows. Maybe he just didn't have the settings adjusted, who knows.

The only way I would get a LED again it will have to have local dimming and or the fully backlit ones. But they are to much money for those.

thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ok,

LED is simply the light source and it's just now starting to look like CCFL looked. It took years for CCFL backlights to be made to look great and right when that was perfected LED backlights came along and looked horrible. So, manufacturers had to perfect LED backlight character so it would be more like CCFL and IMO, it's just been in the last couple of years they are doing well enough to 'pass' (but IMO, some CCFL backlights still look better, more natural). The only selling point for LED is potentially lower power usage. The quality of the backlight from LEDs are NOT superior to CCFL. The only true advantage to using an LED light source is LG's upcoming LEX model TVs which are using extremely small nano-LEDs to provide a full backlit, local dimming LCD. If the set is not using local dimming, then if it's an LED backlight, it's my opinion it stands a good chance of having inferior color and picture quality when compared to a CCFL backlight. For instance, I own an LG 55LH90 set (LED backlight) and when I was looking at the 55LH40 (CCFL backlight) it had better, more natural color tones on plants, grass, leaves, however, the black level couldn't compare to the 55LH90's LEDs with the capability to dim zones of the picture for better shadow detail and deeper blacks. The color quality and warm light character of the 55LH90 was just good enough that I could justify getting it so that I could have the deep blacks. I STILL believe the 55LH40 has better, more natural looking color and it's without a doubt the CCFL backlight's warm, lifelike light.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know how you feel. I too made the assumption that LED was better particularly the 6300 sammy. I wasn't planning to buy a tv but the tv was on sale on Black Friday and didn't have much time to read up on all the reviews and opinions. I didn't know a lot about LED's but assumed they were better. Majority of the reviews I did read on it were good. Our local store had one on sale so decided to pick it up since all the online stores were sold out. Buying it locally I was able to take it home right away and test it. Cosmetically the TV was beautiful but I couldn't say the same for the PQ. It suffered from severe clouding and it was no way even better than my older A750 series. Ended up returning it and saw a great deal on the 630. So far this TV has been great. PQ quality is way better than the 6300 with no clouding. The only issue is the minimal angle view. From dead center is great but once I go past 40 degrees on either side it washes out dramatically and skin tones turns to bright purple. It has panel SQ05. For the price I paid I can't complain.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
LED based LCD's can look better than regular LCD, just depends on the set though.

Case in point,, I swaped out my 55" Vizio LCD for the exact same TV but with LED lighting,,, both set's were full backlit,,, same TV's for the most part, one was old school LCD the other was LED (Vizio models 551 and 552).

The LED version has much better picture quality.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/19639759

LEDs are LCDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19640958

Actually I thought I was being helpful. Most people already know dollar signs go in front of the amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/19640985

Then learn to express yourself, wise guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19641022

He probably thinks you were talking to me.

BoilerJim also made another post that seems to have been deleted.

I am not sure what is up with you two - people are asking questions which is the point of the forum. Maybe not in the format you want - or with $ signs in the correct place - but a cordial answer (or no answer if you like - it is an option) and works fine.

If you want to add value that is great - but posts telling people they shouldn't ask questions before they have done thorough research ain't helpful and frankly are doomed to fail. If you want spend your days this way it seems a waste of your superior intellects and knowledge. Just ignore threads not meeting your standards.

I see this thread is infected as well http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19642791

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided /forum/post/19644799

BoilerJim also made another post that seems to have been deleted.

I am not sure what is up with you two - people are asking questions which is the point of the forum. Maybe not in the format you want - or with $ signs in the correct place - but a cordial answer (or no answer if you like - it is an option) and works fine.

If you want to add value that is great - but posts telling people they shouldn't ask questions before they have done thorough research ain't helpful and frankly are doomed to fail. If you want spend your days this way it seems a waste of your superior intellects and knowledge. Just ignore threads not meeting your standards.

I see this thread is infected as well http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19642791

It sounds as if you are going against your own advice. However, I will accept your twenty lashes with a wet noodle since you felt the need to be the one to chastise me.

I agree that I sometimes lose patience with people who come to the Forum with questions that are painfully obvious that they could answer themselves with a little initiative on their behalf. It is frustrating to many of us that this wonderful Forum sometimes seems to have denegrated into a buying club rather than a technical Forum as intended. And, there are a few of us who do lose patience from time to time and for any part of my involvement I apologize. After re-reading the original post, I realize it was not a "what should I buy" thread but more of a "what should I do after I screwed up" thread.

My response was inappropriate, and I think I was more upset that he bought a TV he really hadn't researched, returned it for another TV he really hadn't researched, and then was deciding to return that one as well. One of my pet peeves is exactly that sort of thing. Although stores have return policies, some people return perfectly acceptable TVs just because they aren't right for them. That creates an "open box" item that can no longer be sold as new and that (whether you believe it or not) adds to overall price increases which all of us must bear.

And, contrary to what you believe, I still contend that prior research is the best way to ensure that someone will be satisfied with whatever TV they ultimately choose.

Finally, in my own defense I will say that if you read all of my posts, you will find that I generally do my best to help people as much as possible.

Thanks so much for your input and have an absolutely wonderful day.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick64 /forum/post/19640005

Unfortunately, I think many people, and I include myself in that group, are being hoodwinked into spending hundreds of dollars more for LED sets that are supposedly "better" than LCD's, when as BoilerJim points out, LED's are just LCD's with a different type of lighting system. I was at an electronics retailer yesterday, and I overheard a salesman explain to a prospective purchaser, and many times over, how LED TV's are better than LCD's, without offering a shred of factual support for this assertion. My new LG LED TV, which I love, suffers from some of the common shortcomings of LED TV's, such as flashlighting and backlight bleed. I honestly can't say that it is "better" than my 2 year old LCD, just different, although the very slim panel is cool and stylish. If I were you, I would exchange the LED for the LCD that you were more happy with, or you will be constantly second guessing yourself about it.

Not only "hoodwinked" for LED/LCD, but for lots of other "features' also. The differences between a mid level Tv and a high end set may require you to use BR as source material and set everythign just right in order to see the difference. For the 90% of the population who watches cable/sat most of the time and leaves the TV on it's out of the box settings a cheaper TV may do just as well for them.

I've always been an advocate for using the budget to get to the right SIZE for your viewing room, THEN move up the line in TV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts