AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2 ARXP410p, 4 ARXP62 and the center ARXP242C, I have a ONK 304S. I am wondering what receiver would be good to have all 7 speakers playing at once in a large 30x36 space. Is any good 7.1 receiver OK?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Can you suggest which 'good' 7.1 receiver(s) you are considering?

If you find the XP series a bit bright, there should be some receiver/amps which would reduce that somewhat. I'm no expert on which receiver/amp is bright vs warm...lots of others around here seem to have that down.

Other than that, I suggest anything with about 100watts per channel should be enough to create just the right amount of permenant tenitus.
Beware the many receivers which rate the all channels driven output at far more than would be possible given the current draw from the outlet.

Once you've spent some time with that setup, it sure would be nice of you to add a post about the XP62's in my assessment thread...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Naturally, your listening test will be the best benchmark.

I was hoping someone else would chime in about an amp. You might want to post a similar thread over in the receivers forum. I don't know Onkyo gear at all. The digital amplified Panasonics are intriguing, but there again I have not heard them. I have only used what I referred to in my review of the XP62s, which includes Technics DA10 and Sony 707ES amps.

Poking about in the receivers forum for B&W pairing recommendations might be just the ticket. Personally, I'm not too convinced that amps typically contribute that much tonality so long as they are properly designed...tubes excluded.
Adequate/stable power delivery is what I worry more about.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How did the test with the Onkyo 304 turn out? Have you tried anything else? Just looking for closure...you tease!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up getting the Yamaha RXV 659 to power 7.0 channels. I do not have any review other than to say they are OK. I allso have the B-211 but have not compared very much. The Insignia seem to be more efficient (brighter) than the ARXP 62. The ARXP 410P give a good sound, but have not compared a other speakers to them other than home built 12" 3 way set up. They have great bass for a 2 channel set-up. For a 7.0 set up with the ARXP62 and the ARXP242C the bass is less pronounced because the other speakers contribute more highs to offset the bass from the powered subs. Wish I had more info for others on the sound. I would probably wait for the powered towers from AV123. If you get them at the fire sale stated I do not think you can go wrong.

Bob

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for completing the picture. After balancing the 7 speakers for a given average response in dB at the listening position I would expect there to be less noticeable bass response change between 7 and 2 channel. The Insignias probably are more efficient, which is what you called 'bright'. That would not really be brighter as people here would consider it, just louder. My personal impression of the Insignia was that they are more laid back than the XP62s - the opposite of actually being 'brighter'. Just pointing these things out for clarification.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw the J&R special prices on the Audio Research front, center, and back speakers and decided to move my current Yamaha, similarly priced, 5.1 set up to another room to use this with my JVC RX-DP10 receiver (which i am very happy with). I noticed that I needed more power to drive these 8 ohm speakers than the Yamaha which were 6 ohms. However, the sound was much much cleaner (less muddled). I taped the movie Ultraviolet in Dolby Digital (I have a HM-DH40000U Digital DHS recorder)...The sound from all 6 speakers was amazing..clear distinctive sound from each speaker - you actually heard movements from one speaker to the next as action moved across the screen.

Now, currently I have the ARXP410P in type 1 installation using a y connector to both LFE connections to the receiver sub-woofer output. Instructions say if i want to use the speakers directly, i do not have to use the LFE output but use the regular connections and turn off the subwoofer command. That will operate the speakers with their usual crossovers and the subwoofers will be active.

My thought is this, If i wanted to use the Yamaha YST 305 (200 watt - 2 8' cones) subwoofer as follows:

1) with all 3 LFE - just use another cable splitter and have all 3 powered by the LFE channel with the sub-woofer output.....OR, and this is where i get confused,

2) if I use the ARXP410P with the subwoofer command on and connected the LFE only to the Yamaha YST 305 will the subwoofers in the ARXP410P still be active?

The instruction manual says: "3) If your receiver is a conventional 5.1 unit and has an LFE output, you may choose to not use the LFE output, and connect it as described in 2 above. In this case you must use the configuration menu in your

receiver to set the subwoofer to NONE or OFF. This will turn off the LFE output, and will make the front left/right outputs full-range. The XP410P will then use the full-range speaker input to drive both the mid/high section and the subwoofer at the same time." Which implies that if I do not turn off the LFE then I will not have subwoofer action from the ARXP410P...

which would mean, that i should connect all 3 to the LFE and to the subwoofer output of the receiver?

Any ideas?

ps. I got 2 center speakers and connected them in parallel - turned down amplitute by -5db and balanced all.....much better than just the one center speaker....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Even with LFE output active, as with a subwoofer 'on' setting, there may be a way to have a full range signal sent to your 410s. Look for the ability to set the front speakers to something like 'large'. Some receivers have another setting which explicitly states that LFE should be routed to LFE out *and* the fronts. Read the receiver manual itself to see if either/both of these modes of operation are possible. If not, the triple split arrangement would provide a reasonable work-around.

A practical test of each configuration would be to play something with strong and deep bass while you have the subwoofer set to 'off' (and preferably with the sub un-powered as well), then switch the subwoofer setting to 'on' and play the signal again. If the bass is clearly reduced, your settings are less than full range to the 410s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately the AR manual isn't the best - the yamaha a bit better - i did experiment with the LFE off to the front speakers and all three connected with the Yamaha LFE on, with the LFE on and all three connected with LFE on, and then with only the AR's with and without LFE with no Yamaha, and then with ..oh well....doing with/without tests.

I have a wonder if you use all 3 to LFE if the signal strength from the amplifier is diminished because the base is diminished...the strongest base is with the LFE off to AR's (no base driven) and just the Yamaha with LFE, but the best base is just from the ARs alone without the Yamaha at all.....with all 3 LFE the bass isn't as strong....so maybe the amplifier can only drive the 2 AR's or the Yamaha but not all 3.

I used my Dolby Digital Digital tape I made of the movie Ultraviolet which has lots of bass action and a Tina Turner DVD.....

so, so far i am thinking of just moving the Yamaha to another room to use there and just stick to the AR's with their LFE connections....

but, as above, i wonder with all 3 connected if the LFE signal strength from the amplifier is lessened to all 3 speakers....

oh, i have set the front speakers (and center and rear) to Large...

any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Harman Audio direct has some real good 2 to 7 channel receivers. If you need only a 2 channel you can get a HK 120 wpc at 8 ohm for under $200.00 AS you know all HK receivers are high current, I own 2 HK receivers,1 being a 7.1 for my Home theater and the 120/wpc for 2 channel. All Harman Audio products-HK,JBL and Infinity have very good warrantees Check it out,someone told me and I bought many many components. You cannot beat the prices

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.