AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought DVE to calibrate new plasma. I did not buy the Avia disc.

What's the difference between the two for calibrating your picture???

What will I be missing if I don't buy the Avia disc???

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drcruz
I bought DVE to calibrate new plasma. I did not buy the Avia disc.

What's the difference between the two for calibrating your picture???

What will I be missing if I don't buy the Avia disc???
I have both. They cover basically the ground, I find AVIA easier to find an individual test pattern. AVIA also has a description of each pattern and notes on how to use it. The filters in DVE are mounted in a nice little card, which is easier than the loose filters AVIA has. DVE is cheaper, they claim more sophisticated mastering.

·
23,039 Posts
If I had to choose between the 2, I'd take DVE if not only for the

stunning video clips. The filters are nice also. Other than than

you can do the same calibrations with each disc. Actually, I do

like the whilte pluge patterns on Avia...

larry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where can I purchase either or both of these discs? I'm in Kansas City, and although I haven't actually set out on a shopping trip to find them, I have looked around at places like Best Buy. Thnx in advance.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I find AVIA easier to use, but I find DVE more "accurate" in the sense that I feel I get a superior picture from DVE. For example, if I use AVIA to set black level, I end up unnecessarily losing black detail because AVIA sets black level 5 steps too low, but DVE gets it right. That's with my system, of course. I wonder whether different discs perform better on different systems.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The 3 filters that come with DVE will help you get a good feel for how accurate the colors are on your display. Just have patience with DVE's cumbersome menu structure and long-winded intros to the test patterns. Also, don't be overwhelmed by all the test patterns in the reference section that come with no explanations. You probably won't need to use those. Contrast seems to be difficult to set with the provided test pattern (at least for me), so you may want to use the Steaming Rat approach for that setting. After steaming the rat for Constrast, go back to the test pattern and you'll think "So that's what it was supposed to look like!" Just be ready to put up with DVE's quirks. You'll end up with a great picture and saved a few bucks compared to Avia.

·
23,039 Posts
Quote:
Contrast seems to be difficult to set with the provided test pattern (at least for me)
Yes, that's why I like the white pluge pattern(s) in Avia. The little white boxes

in the Snell and Wilcox pattern seems just to be able indicate the "edge condition".

larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.