AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello folks,

So I've been in the process of renovating my living room, and ended up doing a slight upgrade of most of my "home theater" in the process. Where there had been Polk Monitor 70s and a 10" Polk sub, I replaced them with Klipsch RB-51s and a Klipsch SW-450 subwoofer. I'm in love with the RB-51s, but not so much with the sub. Though the one I auditioned at the store sounded pretty good, in my room it's boomy and loafy and just sounds kind of sloppy. My room is 12x12, and I did try a "sub crawl" with it. It seems like it would sound great if all I wanted was LFE - it's certainly loud enough for my neighbors to notice.. but I don't think it's very "musical" at all. Kick drums are kind of lifeless, and Metallica's "One" drove it into "foof foof foof" port noise even at rather moderate volumes. I tried different cross-over points from 70-120Hz, and I re-ran audyssey a couple of times.

I paid about 350 for the sub, my budget is about 400. I very rarely listen at high volume levels, and it's used about 50% for idly watching TV, 25% music, and 25% actual movies. I'd go for tight, punchy and clean with good extension over room-shaking earthquakes any day. I was thinking maybe a sealed box sub would be better for my tastes but I'm not sure. Are there any good matches for my RB-51s that stand out? 

I was considering trying a Martin Logan Dynamo 500, but I would probably have to buy one "sight unheard" since I can't find any around to listen to.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I agree with both KidHorn and eljay. The SVS subs will be way way better than that Klipsch. I would probably go with the PB1000. But the Reaction Audio BPS212 seems like it could do the job as well.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1525141/i-bought-the-wrong-sub-which-is-the-right-one/0_100#post_24550885

For a bit over budget: SVS SB-1000 ($499, shipped, with free return shipping within 45 days).

Here's a good review: SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofers

I agree; save up until you have $499 for the PB-1000. It has a deeper, flatter frequency response than anything else at or below its price point. You should search for more online reviews of it; it is highly regarded by pretty much everyone who has tested it. Also, SVS has a good warranty and good customer service, so it is really a great choice in pretty much every respect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts