AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my LT150 for just under a month and can return it for another projector no questions asked.

I am relatively happy with the 150 and would not spend a significant amount of additional money for a different projector.

That being said, are there any other projectors out there I should consider?

I have seen a few posts that say the panasonics and epsons are under rated.

thanks

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by loganross
I have had my LT150 for just under a month and can return it for another projector no questions asked.

I am relatively happy with the 150 and would not spend a significant amount of additional money for a different projector.

That being said, are there any other projectors out there I should consider?

I have seen a few posts that say the Panasonic and epsons are under rated.

thanks
I have got to be kidding me. there are a lot and I mean a lot of them out there.For example;

Better resolution

Better contrast ratio

Better color

Better connectively (DVI for example)

and most of all better brightness.

The choices are endless.

You have to use night vision gaggles to watch anything on those low out put projector.:D

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Angeli...name ONE projector that has better resolution and contrast ratio than the LT150 at under $2500. You have to go to the Sharp Z9000 to beat the LT150 for contrast. Most brighter projectors at that price point are only 800 x 600.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Angeli662

Have you even seen an LT150.

Are you trying to insult a great many people here.

The LT 150 is much brighter than the specs suggest.

It is highly watchable, the price is probably unbeatable.

The contrast amongst the best out their.

Almost everyone likes the colours.

The resolution is only recently being surpassed. At what price, I do not know.

You may have a point on connectivity. But what do you exect at this price point.

Thus, if you through mud, be prepared to back it up with FACTS.

Lastly, what projector do you have?

Warren

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
There is no one who can dispute that the LT-150 was a great deal at $1700. I wonder though how many LT150 owners would repeat their purchase at the original street price of close to $4000. I think that scenerio would truly test how authentic LT150 owner's love is for their projector. Any new XGA projector for $1700 is something to be happy about but I don't think the exceptional value of this business projector in any way places it near the top of the heap when it comes to home theater projectors.

My opinion only-

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I bought the LT-150 the day it dropped to $3200, ( it dropped there from over $5000) and I have no remorse in the purchase.

I do not think that I would have waited too much longer to get a projector. I was ready to buy. So the Dell deal (and the price drop to ~$2300) are nice for other folks, but I am happy with my purchase. Any other PJ I would have bought was above $5000 at the time, and I do not believe any of them have fallen in price as quickly as the LT-150. It is a very nice projector, with noted issues.

My plan was to use the LT-150 for business if it did not suit me for HT. I had the business order another one (and they got in on the Dell deal).

I am happy with the LT-150, and expect to use it until something in the caliber of a Dila comes available for less than what I paid for the LT. I figure other PJ's will only get better and cheaper over the next couple of years. Kelliot's G10 was awfully tempting in the classifieds...

If the price had stayed at about $3000, I would make the purchase again.

If I ever get around to calibrating and learning about CRT's from my Tosh RPTV (I keep putting it off, because the mirror has swirl marks in it from the factory...), I might be tempted by some of the used CRT projectors out there.

Other than that, I still haven't seen anything that would beat the LT150 at the price I purchased. I have not seen a Dila, but expect that it will be my next purchase. The reason I have not looked is that I really do not want to spend that much on a PJ right now. :

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I payed $7,000 for a Sharp SVGA LCD projector a few years ago and the LT150 has it beat all the way around. Would I pay 4,000 for the LT150 now? No, it's design is becoming dated. Would I pay $7,000 for that SVGA LCD?

Those who payed $15,000 for a G1000 DILA, would they pay that amount for one today? What do you think the answer to all of those questions are?

Nah!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, I spent a lot of time looking at the LT150 and its competitors when it was $4K. I compared it to the Sony VPLW10HT, the Infocus LP350, and the Sanyo PLV60. All three of those were over $4K when I was shopping (the Sanyo and Sony still are I believe).

Nonetheless, I had decided to buy the LT150 over those others, and was prepared to spend $4K+ on it...... fortunately, before I actually bought it, it did drop to $3000. With price adjustments (thanks AMEX) I paid around $2650 for it, bought in June.

I'm still amazed at it for the price. Heck, just look at the new $7,000 Integra projector. Look familiar? Its a stock LT150. How about the new $10,000 Runco DR300? An LT150z in a fancy case. Both the Integra and Runco are sold with external processors where all the "value added" changes have been implemented, but the projector is the same as the NEC. This should tell you something -- the high-end projector folks know what we've got here and think its worth 4-5x what we've paid. I could add the Runco Vivix processor ($3K) to the LT150 and have the *exact* same setup that costs $13K from Runco.

IMO, it all comes down to Rainbows. If you can deal with them, the LT150 is the best projector under $4,000. If you can't deal with rainbows go LCD (but the picture quality may suffer).

The only projector

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren460
Angeli662

Have you even seen an LT150.

Are you trying to insult a great many people here.

The LT 150 is much brighter than the specs suggest.

It is highly watchable, the price is probably unbeatable.

The contrast amongst the best out their.

Almost everyone likes the colours.

The resolution is only recently being surpassed. At what price, I do not know.

You may have a point on connectivity. But what do you exect at this price point.

Thus, if you through mud, be prepared to back it up with FACTS.

Lastly, what projector do you have?

Warren
Calm down boys I am not trying to insult anybody here, He asked a question if there is anything worth while buying besides the LT150, noboby mantion price. We owners of diferente PJ should be insulted here, I particulary not, I change projector every six mounths. I know this is a very sensitive issue, people tend to fall in love with there machines, but if you ask a question like that you have to expect equal an answers.:rolleyes:

I have a couple of PJ the latest PLC-FX-20 from sanyo

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
Calm down boys I am not trying to insult anybody here, He asked a question if there is anything worth while buying besides the LT150, noboby mantion price.
Quote:
Actually, he did. That's why everyone is giving you a hard time. He was wondering if there was another projector that is better at that price point. The answer right now is no.

Jason

·
Registered
842 Posts
Jason I don't see as a "hard time" at all, this is still a free country and everybody has the right to theirs opinions. I misinterpreted the question. I didn't realized the this was such a cheap PJ($2.500) is really cheap. When I discuss PJ issues I usualy expectc to talk about Resolution, Contrast ratio, connc. brigtness etc. Sorry for the misundertan

Ps. Yes I have seen the LT-150 I wasn't very impressed with it

I can't get to watch anything in such a low light output PJs. I personaly like some lights on, fire going or outdoors projection.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hey Angeli662,

Were you the guy with the pj at Jones Beach this past summer?

In all seriousness, if you need more than 800 lumens get a tube. Movies are meant to be viewed in the dark. And if you don't believe me, try turning on a light in your local cinema and see what kind of a reaction you get. ;)

Chow,

Peter M

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
videonut

many people enjoy using their projector with the lights on, watching TV, entertaining, Superbowl parties etc etc etc-if you like using your projector in dark room fine not everybody does

800 lumens in a projector is very limiting.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone!

I have been very happy with the LT150 and plan to keep it. Your comments have been very insightful and I have come to the conclusion that the LT150 its tops in its price range

Regards

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Having gone through probably a dozen projectors in the past 18 months at or around the price of the LT150, I can safely say there is nothing that will produce a better image at the price.

The closest is a Thumpered LT100/UP1100.

If you need more brightness, I wouldn't change projectors, I'd change screens to a High Power or similar.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
842 Posts

Originally posted by leckian
videonut

many people enjoy using their projector with the lights on, watching TV, entertaining, Superbowl parties etc etc etc-if you like using your projector in dark room fine not everybody does

800 lumens in a projector is very limiting.

Lenny Eckian
[/QUOTE

I couldn't have said it better Lenny, I also had been through more projector then most dealer. I started with 800 lumens now I have two at 3000 lumens and 5000lumens. If people are happy with 800 l pj good for them. I am a strong advocate of high out put projectors, I have spend too much money and effort testing those machines you realy have to see them in action to realy appreciate.

But one again good luck all and lets keep this industry moving ahead.

There is no such a thing too bright, but to many not bright enough.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Angeli662,

The "Jones Beach" statement was meant to be a rib, but I guess it somehow insulted your idea of social status. Sorry. :(

As far as East Hampton goes, my parents' have owned a beach house there since I was very young, so I am no stranger to that neck of the woods. However, if you're trying to show off wealth, be careful--there are a lot of well-heeled people on this forum who tend to be modest. ;)

Ciao,

Peter M

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.