AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a Pioneer 1018. Its a great receiver! Its just way to bright for my taste. Im thinking about either of these to go with my system. Marantz 5003 or HK254 or HK 354. Since I cant audition the Marantz. Which would you choose for my setup? I can get the 5003 or the HK 354 for about the same price. The 5003 will be about 80 more dollars. TIA for any info.


Blake


F-Paradigm 9semk3

C-Paradigm CC150

R-Paradigm Titans

BP-Panasonic BD35

Dishnetwork HD DVR622

Samsung LN46A650 ( Amazing TV!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
i think if you are saying that the current avr is WAY to bright, then you have a set up problem, nit an avr problem. the SQ difference between avr's is minimal at best...


just my 2cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
That may not be a receiver problem. Is it bright all the time, or only when the volume is up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Agreed if your only issue is that the receiver sounds way too bright, then you have a defective receiver, ear, or setup (most likely the later). My suggestion, only partly tongue in cheek: Unplug your receiver, zero all the controls, zap the memory, put it in a cardboard box, write "Brand New Receiver that doesn't sound bright" on the box with Sharpie, seal it up, and put it on your doorstep like it was just delivered by UPS.


When you open up your "Brand New Receiver that doesn't sound bright" you'll be very excited to find the brightness problem gone. The brightness was actually dissolved by the Sharpie fumes, but most people believe this is just a psychological trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No matter how I tweak the 1018, the sound just isnt right for my taste. It is crystal clear. But way to high pitched. Like I said no matter what it just doesnt sound right. My Denon 2803 blows this away. Much richer and deeper sound. I guess I should have went with why I never went with Pioneer when I started looking for audio equipment when I was about 15. Never liked the way Pioneer sounded. But to many good reviews led me to it. oh well live and learn I guess. Thanks for the respone. I appreciate it.


Blake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfKnee /forum/post/15513644


Agreed if your only issue is that the receiver sounds way too bright, then you have a defective receiver, ear, or setup (most likely the later). My suggestion, only partly tongue in cheek: Unplug your receiver, zero all the controls, zap the memory, put it in a cardboard box, write "Brand New Receiver that doesn't sound bright" on the box with Sharpie, seal it up, and put it on your doorstep like it was just delivered by UPS.


When you open up your "Brand New Receiver that doesn't sound bright" you'll be very excited to find the brightness problem gone. The brightness was actually dissolved by the Sharpie fumes, but most people believe this is just a psychological trick.

I think you have been sniffing a few too many Sharpie fumes yourself.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake10 /forum/post/15513657


No matter how I tweak the 1018, the sound just isnt right for my taste. It is crystal clear. But way to high pitched. Like I said no matter what it just doesnt sound right. My Denon 2803 blows this away. Much richer and deeper sound. I guess I should have went with why I never went with Pioneer when I started looking for audio equipment when I was about 15. Never liked the way Pioneer sounded. But to many good reviews led me to it. oh well live and learn I guess. Thanks for the respone. I appreciate it.


Blake

it sounds like level setting and phase problems....try reversing the polarity of your CC and one of the front speakers.


But if you want to buy the marantz go for it...i have always loved the sound of my past 2 marantz avr's. lots of people say it is the warmest sounding avr out there...i will let you know today how it compares to my brand new denon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,932 Posts
The Marantz is a better unit. The HK can't compete sound wise. IMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake10 /forum/post/15513657


No matter how I tweak the 1018, the sound just isnt right for my taste. It is crystal clear. But way to high pitched. Like I said no matter what it just doesnt sound right. My Denon 2803 blows this away. Much richer and deeper sound. I guess I should have went with why I never went with Pioneer when I started looking for audio equipment when I was about 15. Never liked the way Pioneer sounded. But to many good reviews led me to it. oh well live and learn I guess. Thanks for the respone. I appreciate it.


Blake

I have the 1018. I had a Yamaha HTR6160 before returning it for the Pioneer. Both are fine receivers but at the Boxing day price of $400.00, I couldn't resist the Pioneer.

Other than the Pioneer seeming to have more punch (and looking good as well), the one thing I noticed was that the sound was a bit brighter than the Yammie. In my case that's fine, since my front speakers (Mirage Frx-9's) are not as detailed as some. The Pioneer adds that extra detail, which I like, especially for movies. For music, I think the Yamaha may have had the edge, but I didn't take the time to do a lot of a/b comparisons. MCACC also seems to be more sophisticated than Yamaha's YPAO.

I can see that with certain speakers and in certain room environments, the Pioneer might not be as good a solution as a warmer sounding amp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
My question is WHY is the Marantz warmer, if it indeed it is.


Does it roll off at higher frequencies? Does it have less audible distortion?


I have heard of tube amps with audible and measurable distortion also sound "warm."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,481 Posts
Just chiming in, but unless I see a FR graph of a receiver/amp, I don't believe anyone when they say one is warmer than another... a few dB in the response won't make that much difference anyway. And amps/receivers are usually flat from 20 Hz to 30 KHz.


But to OP, I had a Pio 1015 and sounded identical to an Onkyo 702 (when both had AutoRoom turned off, EQ bands zeroed out,Tone Controls set to 0 dB). I am betting it's your receiver settings.


-T


EDIT: Not talking about tubes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15516394


My question is WHY is the Marantz warmer, if it indeed it is.


Does it roll off at higher frequencies? Does it have less audible distortion?


I have heard of tube amps with audible and measurable distortion also sound "warm."

if indeed both are flat in the audible spectrum it is a good question--

with my sunfire amp there is a circuit that alters the output to make it sound more 'warm/euphonic' via the current source output somapred to the voltage source--i saw someone comment on the fact that the current source is just the voltage source with a 1 ohm resistor hooked up but i dont know for sure...seems like that shouldnt alter the frequency spectrum output from the speakers though. whatever the case it makes a difference in sound for sure--wonder if the implementation of output stage electronics could make the difference--also dont know with a spectrum analyzer what happens with my amp when you change outputs.


i guess the point i am trying to make is i suspect different electronics could alter how the sound is reproduced...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake10 /forum/post/15513252


Right now I have a Pioneer 1018. Its a great receiver! Its just way to bright for my taste. Im thinking about either of these to go with my system. Marantz 5003 or HK254 or HK 354. Since I cant audition the Marantz. Which would you choose for my setup? I can get the 5003 or the HK 354 for about the same price. The 5003 will be about 80 more dollars. TIA for any info.


Blake


F-Paradigm 9semk3

C-Paradigm CC150

R-Paradigm Titans

BP-Panasonic BD35

Dishnetwork HD DVR622

Samsung LN46A650 ( Amazing TV!)



You are right, you can not, and, you are supposed to be having fun in the process. In my research, I would opt for the Marantz. The sound (which obviously is subjective) is better to me. It has the Audyssey eq, which is much better than the Harmon Kardon.

Check this review, it should help or even better, confirm your decision.
http://www.hometheaterreview.com/equ...ewed001145.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake10 /forum/post/15513657


...I guess I should have went with why I never went with Pioneer when I started looking for audio equipment when I was about 15. Never liked the way Pioneer sounded. But to many good reviews led me to it. oh well live and learn I guess. Thanks for the respone. I appreciate it.


Blake

Not liking a particular piece is one thing, but you dislike an entire line. And throughout its annual line changes.

Get yourself another brand Denon. Your Pioneer has been fighting a losing battle right from the off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Hey Blake

Did you see my other post about MCAAC and bright adjustment ?


What you gonna do about the brightness ?

I am REALLY surprised that no one has come to the front to let you know how to adjust your system for brightness.

I thought MCAAC was capable of taming quite a bit.


Look, if others have not complained about this characterstic, something is wrong or different about your use of the system.

I would pursue it on the 1018 thread.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well for starters. I turned off MCAACC. It sounds alot better. Dont get me wrong the 1018 is a great recevier but I dont think its for me. Thanks again for all responses.


Blake
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top