AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have never had all 6 backplanes working at the same time on my norco case. Almost every single time I move a drive or replace a drive either the whole backplane burns up or at least the drive bays I moved no longer work. The green lights are still on but it can read no data from that bay or the whole thing. Norco has sent me replacement backplanes that sometimes when I install them they burn up on the spot. I have replaced the PSU. I have tried different cords. The only correlation is me moving the drives. They say its static discharge. I do everything I can do to prevent it. I only use one hand. The case is turned off. My other hand is gripping the metal of the case to ground myself. I try to grip around the power cord in the back holding it and the case at the same time. What more can I do? They are getting angry at having to send me so many but after almost 6 months perhaps longer my warranty will soon be up and I am getting frustrated at never having a fully working case. I have even been sent an entirely new one only to have the same issues over and over.

What am I doing wrong? Why apparently only me?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yet 3 more bays burned out while simply trying to get the damn thing booted to windows. Now only 3 fully working backplanes and one single bay to put my c: on. WTF. Its creating a discharge simply pulling out a drive and inserting one.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Why don't you power down before installing or removing a drive? Maybe you shouldn't have too but if it keeps the system running it might be your best option (or at least until you figure out the problem).

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/20756458

Why don't you power down before installing or removing a drive? Maybe you shouldn't have too but if it keeps the system running it might be your best option (or at least until you figure out the problem).

reading is fundemental

lol, he specifically says that he powers off the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/0

I only use one hand. The case is turned off. My other hand is gripping the metal of the case to ground myself.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I cant even use the hot swap feature. Every time I tried it fried a bay. I mean I get it you have to take precaution but I have been. This is seriously the most sensitive static prone equipment I have ever seen in my life. I have never had any issues with static prior to this. They ship it in a tube and its not even in an electrostatic bag so half the time I swear they are already broke by the time I get them. In fact one time a big chunk of plastic had broken off from shipping and they just shrugged when I told them. I am not trying to diss them and I get there is nothing cheaper on the market but man I cant even use my case.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Sorry to hear you're still having so many problems w/ your Norco's backplains, but I seriously doubt static discharge has anything to do w/ your problems, the Norco back plains don't have any logic so there's no sensitive electronics that could potentially be damaged by static discharge and even if there was it would cause them to burn up as your's have, the logic would likely be the only that would stop working.

From what I remember when you first had these problems you had used different hardware at every part of the chain and can't think of anything that wasn't already talked about that might be causing this.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I am just going by what they have said is causing it. I cant believe it either. They say its my hard drives but I am using 3 different kinds and they behave exactly the same. I cant imagine installing anything incorrectly. I used 2 different psu's so that rules out any power issues. They are powered up as the green lights are on. I tried swapping cables to rule out that and it has no effect. They say they cost $100 each so its not like I can afford to buy more and its not like they cost that much for them either. I am just sick of this. I need to expand my array and now I can just boot into windows. I mean seriously what else can it be? They say they have never had this issue but it happens to me over and over. I wonder if there is a short in the case itself or something.

·
Registered
959 Posts
IIRC you've ran at least 2 MBs as well, and as it goes for shorts, I don't see how the backplains could short w/ the new style and you already ruled out a shorted HDD I was thinking might be the problem earlier on, but maybe there's a short from the MB to the case that completes a circuit thru the HHD(although the only path if any would be to ground/com).

BTW I finally stopped by Norco and exchange my 1 totally bad packplain but the one that had intermittent problems I kept and they've worked trouble free so far. They were actually out of stock for the RCP-X0XX backplains(SATA connectors) so they gave me one for a RCP-X2XX(SAS connector) and a SAS to SAS cable for free which was pretty cool of them.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20756606

reading is fundemental

lol, he specifically says that he powers off the case

Yeah, sorry. Maybe breaking into paragraphs would help us "reading challenged".

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And I even replaced the motherboard with one that has integrated graphics and had issues before and after. I am stumped but need to find a solution.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you take out the backplanes, is there room to directly cable the drives? That's the only way I can see to improve the reliability of your setup. Obviously, this shouldn't be happening and a backplane is not a complex device, but taking it out of the equation should improve things.

- Mike

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I can do that but not for 24 drives. I have even removed the backplanes from the case and tested outside the case with 4 drives resting on the top on some cardboard. Its like there is power but once the blue light goes out its out for good and then no more data transfers. I keep thinking its loose or something but it is damaged in some way where once whatever happens its done with. I just sent back 2 of them today but when the replacements get here I would like a permanent solution.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Forgive the horribly, stupidly, naive question: Do you have standoffs between the case and your motherboard?

Check each one, if you do - and I'm sure you do. Make sure nothing could be short circuiting. Your problem is not static!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup and like I said I even have changed motherboards and same issue.

Is it possible theres a short?

I doubted it was static as well. But thats what their engineer says. I am lost really. Never saw anything like this.

Its happened in 2 completely different cases as well. I wonder about some design flaw but then wouldnt it be more widespread? They say they have no issues with people returning backplanes.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a very nice seasonic gold rated one and installed that. They have also said its my power supply lol but I have use 2 so...

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/20770498

I bought a very nice seasonic gold rated one and installed that. They have also said its my power supply lol but I have use 2 so...

so the multiple backplanes burned out with 2 different cases and 2 different power supplies?

if so there is something fundamentally wrong, either you're doing something or there is something else at play like a bad power outlet

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah I know its weird but I dont get what it can be. I have been building computers for like 15 years now. Its connected to a UPS as well. Its all high end stuff. I even moved so 2 different houses. 2 cases. 2 motherboards. 2 psus. 3 different kinds of drives. all end in same disaster.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Have you tried a different controller card for your extra sata ports? Has Norco even told you what circuit on the board is getting burnt out all the time.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts