AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a projector. The room is 22' wide by 13' deep, and the projector will have 11-13' to project onto a 120" screen. This is not meant to be a dedicated theatre. its more of a movie hangout room with a big couch where we watch movies, sports, etc... Budget is under 2K and hoping for reliability since I want to install it and be done. My frontrunner right now is the Epson 3800, but that LG Cinebeam HU70A looks very tempting too.

I want to buy something and use it for several years without looking back or questioning reliability.

Thoughts from this group?

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I'm in the market for a projector. The room is 22' wide by 13' deep, and the projector will have 11-13' to project onto a 120" screen. This is not meant to be a dedicated theatre. its more of a movie hangout room with a big couch where we watch movies, sports, etc... Budget is under 2K and hoping for reliability since I want to install it and be done. My frontrunner right now is the Epson 3800, but that LG Cinebeam HU70A looks very tempting too.

I want to buy something and use it for several years without looking back or questioning reliability.

Thoughts from this group? View attachment 3159517
I'd give serious thought to the BenQ X1300i:

and it even has fairly decent built in sound. It's very sharp and although 1080P it will accept 4K HDR signals and output it as 1080P HDR. It's very bright with exceptionally good colour as well and would be truly excellent for big screen sports. You'll also get years of stable light output with no bulb changes due to the LED light engine.

Next, I'd look at the TK700STi (Or TK850), which is getting excellent reviews, (including on this forum).

Take a look at this video as well:

and I'd consider looking at a painted screen wall and go big, like a 16x9 150in screen, which would look awesome in that room.

Lastly, measure the room dimensions carefully, as even a few inches difference might change your ability to a fill a 120in or larger screen in that room (12ft 7in is a more common width rather than 13ft) and you will typically lose ~18in from that to allow for projector depth from the wall.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Get the 3800 if you aren't going larger. It should squeeze in there and it has the best contrast of any sub $2k projector outside the 4010 which won't work here. Since it is 3LCD it will also maintain its color better than the other DLPs mentioned in their respective brighter modes. Match it with a grey screen and you will have more depth (aka contrast) than anything else.

If you want something that is super sharp then I'd go with the TK850 due to its dynamic iris that I think works way better than the lamp dimming dynamic contrast enhancer of most DLPs. For the record though, contrast is way more important in my book and many other's books vs resolution.

I've seen the LG HU70LA and it didn't impress me, nor do I think it will be bright enough for you.

Btw, if you pick any of the projectors mentioned thus far, except for maybe the LG and the 1080p x1300i, you should be happy for the long haul.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Reactions: PixelPusher15

·
Registered
252 Posts
Epson 3800 for the win! It can throw 120” from 11’7” away, plus 13” projector depth puts the rear of the projector 12’8” from the opposite wall, leaving four inches for cables, but you can easily get right angle power plugs and HDMI adapters if you need to go back further. Remember that if you get a screen that might stick out another inch or two, so plan accordingly to go back even further. I have the older 3700 and even at 1080P it’s great image quality and brightness for 120”, with thousands of hours on the lamp.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would also check out the noise level between the 3800 and TK850. For me in a quiet room, anything higher than 25dB is bothersome.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Given how close you are to the screen 120" is pretty wide for a 16:9 screen. See this page for a way to calculate viewing distance vs. screen size, etc: https://www.projectorscreen.com/projector-screen-calculators Why not consider an 85" screen whose image will probably be far superior to that of a PJ especially for 4K, HDR, DolbyVision etc. with which PJ's under $2K have real difficulty doing tone-mapping. So that's wrench-in-the-works #1. For wrench #2, what about switching the axis of your viewing? Cover the window and place the screen there so you've got more distance between you and the screen, esp. if you want to go 120 inches.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I can't change the room because that huge couch only fits that orientation.

I was silly and bought the 120" as the first step in all this.

The 3800 seemed like the right fit, until people tell me it's too noisy, and I start doubting myself all over.

So, is the Tk850 good because of the 3 yr warranty? or is the 3800 the best bang for buck? or do I splurge on 4050 because its so much better?

I will send a nice bottle of wine to whoever helps me finally make a decision.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I can't change the room because that huge couch only fits that orientation.

I was silly and bought the 120" as the first step in all this.

The 3800 seemed like the right fit, until people tell me it's too noisy, and I start doubting myself all over.

So, is the Tk850 good because of the 3 yr warranty? or is the 3800 the best bang for buck? or do I splurge on 4050 because its so much better?

I will send a nice bottle of wine to whoever helps me finally make a decision.
What screen did you buy? It may have an impact on projector choice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a

STR-169120 Silver Ticket 120" Diagonal 16:9 4K Ultra HD Ready HDTV (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen White Material

When I started tis journey I bought it and assembled it nicely, but now am stalled on the projector....It's too late to return it, but if it is horrible I guess I can reconsider.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
The 4000 series Epson is not good because you can't fill your screen with your throw distance. Not heard or seen the TK850 but most say it's quieter then it's sister 3550 that is very loud. PQ wise with your light colored room and seating distance I would pick the BenQ as contrast advantage of the Epson 3800 is negated by the room but can't know if it would be quieter as I would think the Epson would have the advantage here. If you plan on treating the room with dark flat colors it's a whole other ball game and the best way to take advantage of your white screen. In your current environment you should have gotten a gray low gain screen.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Given how close you are to the screen 120" is pretty wide for a 16:9 screen. See this page for a way to calculate viewing distance vs. screen size, etc: https://www.projectorscreen.com/projector-screen-calculators Why not consider an 85" screen whose image will probably be far superior to that of a PJ especially for 4K, HDR, DolbyVision etc. with which PJ's under $2K have real difficulty doing tone-mapping. So that's wrench-in-the-works #1. For wrench #2, what about switching the axis of your viewing? Cover the window and place the screen there so you've got more distance between you and the screen, esp. if you want to go 120 inches.
I wouldn’t give that screen size seating distance calculator much weight. I sit closer than they recommend and it’s no where near too close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't think it's too noisy....from projectorcentral review

Fan Noise. In ECO mode, rated at 24 dB, the 3800 is hard to hear even in quiet moments in a quiet room. The noise level in Medium, rated at 32 dB, is loud enough that some may find it annoying while others find it acceptable, particularly in a family room with ambient noise. In High mode, rated at 35 dB, the noise level is enough to easily notice from anywhere in a small to mid-size room. Most people will likely find it distracting even in a family room and may want to consider some form of acoustic isolation

I just don't know how much one would give up running in Eco mode in the Epson. For me, i have Viewsonic X10-4KE which sits 8' away from the wall at 120" screen size and the noise is about the same level in Eco mode. I'm not giving up much vs Full mode, about 5-10% so I'm ok. (I also calibrate it to fit my eyes).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm down to the final 3. The screen is 120" white gain 1.1

Option 1: Epson 3800
Option 2: BenQ HT3550. Perfect throw distance. 3 year warranty great colors
Option 3: BenQ TK850. Less colors than above, but brighter considering walls painted light.

Any clear winner?

·
Registered
185 Posts
This might help....

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
ok, I'm decided on BenQ. Now, HK850 vs 3550....
I'm interested in knowing how you decided against the Epson. By all accounts, it can deliver a similar, or slightly better image than the 3550.

If you are definitely set on BenQ, then the 3550 is the only way I would go for best image quality.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Thoughts from this group? View attachment 3159517
I'd vote a gently used or refurbished sony hw-45es. It will throw "120 at 11'10" from wide angle. Plenty bright and around 1200 gently used or refurbished. After 5 years mine runs like new.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd vote a gently used or refurbished sony hw-45es. It will throw "120 at 11'10" from wide angle. Plenty bright and around 1200 gently used or refurbished. After 5 years mine runs like new.
The only thing...Sony is not 4k? I guess playing 4k movies is still decent?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts