AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am going with the RCA becuse of price-for-product. HDTV is taking a turn so I dont want to invest big bucks in a set that will not be useful in a few years. I have seen the MM36110 in person. When the saleman put a HD signal to it, it made me say, "WOW". I havent seen but about 2-3 sets ever pushing the signal. I will be using this set for DTV, not HD(using S-Video fom my Sony reciver to the set) and for the X-Box(which pushes 1080i) . I watch DVD's but my Denon isnt prgressive scan :(

Can the 38" do the 4:3 sqeeze ok? Can the 36" do 16:9 ok? I need some advice from owners here.

ONE BIG question. I noticed nothing was said about 480p. Will these sets not do 480p? Will that make any real difference in the way I watch some things? Thanks in advance.

chef423

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone tell me what happens when these sets recieve a 480p signal? It doesn say anything about 480p support. Does it just up it to 1080i or something? I am not sure how this works.

H*E*L*P!

chef423

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can't speak for the wide screen 38" RCA set but I do own the older MM36100. The newer MM36110 will accept a Progressive signal 480P via the Componant inputs. The older MM36100 will not so you are in a good position if you decide to buy this set. Either set will accept Hi-Def signal from a STB such as the DTC-100 via the two VGA/RGB connecters. I don't think the 38" set has such a connecter because the tuner is already built in.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I am getting the MM36110 :)

chef423

·
Registered
848 Posts
Chef,

The only negative I can say about the MM36110 (I have the 36100, which was similar except the 110 has 480p component input while the 36100 was interlaced) is that the screen is VERY curved. It's certainly the most curved screen I've seen in recent memory.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know, I was thinking that all day today. I think it is the only thing that has kept me from buying it. The dealer has it down to 1299.00 too. Does the set give off bad glare? Or dose it deplete the picture quality in anyway?

I was thinking about the Panny 36"TAU 4:3 but the RCA looks cleaner, i dont know what to think!!

chef423

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chef423
Can anyone tell me what happens when these sets recieve a 480p signal? It doesn say anything about 480p support. Does it just up it to 1080i or something? I am not sure how this works.
Upconverts to 1080i. I understand it locks aspect ratio for progressive scan signals, which could be a problem, depending on your DVD player.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have an F38310, woudn't trade it for the world. I don't have a progressive scan DVD player yet, but so far I've been happy with playing them through a regular Pioneer DVD interlaced player. When you feed it a progressive signal, it locks in 16x9 full mode, so if you have a P&S DVD (and who does and posts in this forum?) the image will get stretched out and look distorted. The set upsamples the interlaced video to 540p. If you want HDTV why buy a 4x3 set and waste away a percentage of your viewing area? I also have a DLP projector (LP340B) but without a greyhawk screen, the colors are not a bright as I'd like them to be. Direct view is hands down the better solution for everyday viewing.

My only dislike is that the F38310 only has 1 set of Progressive/Component inputs, but with the built-in tuner, I haven't required another component input.

my 2 cents worth...:p

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all! I dont have a PS DVD player, who cares really. Also, My Denon AVR-5800 reciever has about 3-4 inputs for components anyway, it just switches between then when you turn it to the specified signal :)

chef423

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, but how will 4:3 programs look on the F38310?? Do they sqezz them in a 4:3 ratio, or does it stretch it out to 16:9???

Thanks

chef423

·
Registered
40 Posts
To clear some things up: The MM36110 doesn't have an internal line doubler, but I've read it can do the 16:9 squeeze, via the service menu. I acutally just picked up this set yesterday for $800 and mated it with a DTC-100 and HTPC that I already had. I must say, I'm pretty damn impressed with this ~$1600 setup. But, if you don't plan on getting an HD receiver and/or HTPC, don't bother with this set. There's been tons of info already written about these TVs if you care to look.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
With the incredibly deep discounts on the 38 inch set these days, I don't see how you can go wrong. This set came out for 4 grand when the 36 was going for 2. It's easily twice the set. When you can get it for around 2k, including the built-in HD tuner, and the (perhaps soon to be obsoleted) HD-DirecTV receiver, it's just an amazing bargain.

I bought one to hook onto one of the unused outputs of my DTC-100 multi-switch upstairs, ran about 100 feet of double-shield to the basement (yes, the signal is fine) and now have my second HD set down here in the office. In many ways the 38310 is more satisfying than my Sony 53HS10 upstairs, especially for daytime viewing, but I'd have to give the nod to Sony for geometry, to the RCA for overall picture snap.

This set, at or around 2K, is a steal. Be sure you buy it from a place that will let you take it back if there are any "issues." These sets have been notoriously buggy, but, knock on wood, they seem to have tamed most of them in later issues (mine was built in June).

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is no one going to answer my last question?! I am waiting to hear about the 4:3 before I buy the F38310, I read a few posts up!

THanks!

chef423

·
Registered
47 Posts
1. You can view a 4:3 picture with gray bars on each side.

2. you can it with the image streched hozitially to fill the screen.

3. you view the image blown out so that the top and bottom of the image is cut off, the picture fits the screen right to left without strecthing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.