Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I recently received a free Philips 42FD9934. It is new and I think it has the 3-year extended warranty.

What I am looking for is opinions on what I should do. I could try to sell it and then buy something like an XBR of the same size and have plenty of change left (which would be great as my wife "has" to have a new piece of furniture built for any new TV that I end up getting).

I have done some digging on lifespan of plasma displays and while 20,000-30,000 hours seems to be the consensus, it might just be the consensus of well hidden plasma manufacturers. I can handle these lifespans, but if they are significantly inflated, I might need something more durable.

So, is it all worth it? Figuring I will likely have to shell out extra cash on an HD tuner and according to some of these posts might suffer from bad SD quality from my cable?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i have a 42FD9954, which i believe is the same plasma w/ built in speakers.

i'm very happy with this tv. when you say XBR, are you talking about the Sony Grand Wega III? or the XBR plasma?

sure, you can probably sell it and buy a GWIII, but as good as the GWIII is, it ain't a plasma.

if you're concerned about SD, go ahead and get the ebox. it's not cheap, but i think it's a good buy considering you got a free plasma. it definitely cleans up SD cable....nothing magical, but definitely watchable. another benefit of the ebox is that it acts as your tv input so you can hook up all your components/wiring via the ebox and you only need one VGA cable to connect with the TV. this makes it very convenient to do a wall mount since you only have to deal with 2 cords (vga + power)

HD looks really nice on this tv. as i'm typing this, i'm watching Jay Leno on OTA HD and it's beautiful. one negative is that it only does 1080i and not 720p, but most of the HD stuff is 1080i anyways. i just watched MNF which is broadcast in 720p and i can't say there was anything wrong with the upconverted 1080i picture. it was stunning.

don't worry too much about lifespan......it will last long enough for the technology to be outdated anyways. if it were to die from use and not a defect, it's probably time to buy a new tv.

forget the tv furniture, why spend big $$$ and get furniture for the plasma when you can spend several hundred bucks to get it professionally wall mounted? if you're interested, i can refer you to a guy that did mine. very professional and very meticulous. best of all, he's cheap. only charges $60/hr rather than the $500-$700 flat fee you'll find at most places.

PM me if you have more questions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
gingurus

You are saying that the 42FD9954 doesn't do 720p. Philips Hong Kong just confirmed that it does????

Are you using the 42FD9954 with the E box? If you are then how do you find the picture with that pixel plus on? I saw it with the pixel plus on and I was just blown away by the sharpness and details of the picture. I think none of those pannys, pioneer and fujitsu were even near the sharpness and details of the 42FD9954.

But I have heard alot of good things about the Pioneer 434 and the inclusion of HDMI so I'm just curious to know how the picture would be like if used with HDMI dvd player. It's not yet available here. Maybe wait and see. Otherwise I going with the 42FD9954 too.

By the way do you hear any noise and dottiness over moving flesh on the 42FD9954, I heard it buzz when used with the composite video feed and on the dark scenes?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.