AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony 5.1 HTIB Dolby Digital setup and in a few days, I plan on buying a Onkyo 706. I'm going 7.1 and so I'm guessing that the main thing I need to upgrade are my front speakers so that I can move those to the sides. Correct?

I spent most of my money on the receiver, so I don't have a ton to spend on speakers. I'm guessing anything would be an upgrade at this point.

Currently, my front speakers are sitting on top of either side of my entertainment center (and it's a big one). I could mount them in the corners but I haven't done it yet. My rear speakers are sitting on top of tall bookshelves in the back of the room in either corner.

I have a 37" Vizio HDTV, a PS3, and a Wii. I buy about 1 Blu-Ray a week and I play games a lot as well. We also watch some shows like Lost, Heroes, House... and such.

I haven't measured my room but I'll do that in a minute.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

- DM

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
First suggestion is get a more than adequate receiver for less money and spend some on speakers.

What is your current budget for receiver and some speakers?

When do you think you will be able to afford another piece or two (next $200-500)?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Spend more money on the speakers than on the receiver. Do you need the pre-amp outputs of the 706?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... TV is not going to be upgraded. I just bought it late last year.

About the receiver... I'm still looking around but haven't decided. The Yamaha 663 was the other one I'm looking at but I'm worried about the BTB problem. Go ahead and suggest some in the $400-$500 price range if you disagree with my choice.

So basically... I have about $500 max to spend on a receiver and I would rather not spend more than $300 on any speaker upgrades. In fact, the less I have to spend under $300 the better. I love audio, but the fact that I have actually enjoyed the quality of my HTIB setup for 2 years now should say something. I'm not extremely picky.. but I do realize that I need to upgrade some of the speakers which is why I'm posting. I don't need something over the top just yet and I probably wont have a good amount of money to spend on anymore upgrades till around August of this year.

I just want some speakers that are better than what I have without spending a crazy amount since I will probably upgrade them all at once at some point in the future. The main reason I'm not changing my mind about the receiver upgrade is because I really want to go 7.1. I have also been having some problems with my current receiver and so I would like something that is going to last me a while and that is the direction things are going right now it seems.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
OK, here's my $0.02 based on your maximum budget of $800 for current upgrade which should include receiver

receiver

- note that you have a PS3 for your Blu-ray so you do not need a receiver that can decode lossless audio, you only need one that can accept PCM over HDMI

- I suggest a Marantz sr4002 from accessories4less $300

speakers

- replace your front 3 so that you get timbre matching

- fronts, KEF iQ1 from Vanns $200

- centre, KEF iQ2 from Vanns $150

- use four of your old speakers for surrounds and rears

Total outlay, $650

Save up to replace the sub next, either $230 for a PA-120 from eBay, or save a bit more for a HSU STF-2 ($385 delivered), or save a bit more for a SVS PB10-NSD ($429 plus shipping)

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/15571849

OK, here's my $0.02 based on your maximum budget of $800 for current upgrade which should include receiver

receiver

- note that you have a PS3 for your Blu-ray so you do not need a receiver that can decode lossless audio, you only need one that can accept PCM over HDMI

- I suggest a Marantz sr4002 from accessories4less $300

speakers

- replace your front 3 so that you get timbre matching

- fronts, KEF iQ1 from Vanns $200

- centre, KEF iQ2 from Vanns $150

- use four of your old speakers for surrounds and rears

Total outlay, $650

Save up to replace the sub next, either $230 for a PA-120 from eBay, or save a bit more for a HSU STF-2 ($385 delivered), or save a bit more for a SVS PB10-NSD ($429 plus shipping)

That Marantz has pre-outs too. Nice.

I might even suggest upgrading the sub *first*, but the KEF deal (also at OneCall) is really good. As for sub bargains, don't forget the two Hsu-designed subs at Parts Express: the Atlantic Technologies and the Dayton "Elite" (both 10"). They're about $320 and $260 shipped respectively, but both have been on sale for as low as $200 shipped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts