AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

I cut a hole in my BDI cabinet for my rear ported center. Is it big enough?

1235 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  brian6751
BDI Avion Triple wide with large center cabinet drawer. Klipsch 504c fits with a tad bit of room to spare. WAF achieved.

I used a Ryiobi Oscillating Multitool to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet itself, and the back of the drawer which sits flush with the cabinet. I was conservative in my cutting, as I can always cut away a bit more. I just want to keep intact the structural integrity of the piece.

I am concerned it is not big enough, or aligned enough. It will definitely vent the rear port, but some obstruction remains. I can easily cut the hole a bit bigger if it would be helpful.

I am not sure the science of how this works, though. Does it just need an "air hole"? If so, I would think this would be plenty fine? Or, does it need a "clean shot" for air/sound to pass and avoid reverberations etc.? If it is the latter, it would seem I may need to cut the hole a bit wider to make sure no part of the rear port is blocked (and that the holes are perfectly aligned)?

Please advise. Pics included. Thank you! :)

Wood Plywood

Furniture Electronics Property Room Table

Electronics Electronic device Audio equipment Wood Furniture

Plywood Furniture Table Wood Desk

Wall Room Wood Plaster Window

Room Rectangle

Furniture Hardwood Plywood Table Drawer

Furniture Desk Table Wood Drawer

Furniture Table Plywood Shelf Room
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
BDI Avion Triple wide with large center cabinet drawer. Klipsch 504c fits with a tad bit of room to spare. WAF achieved.

I used a Ryiobi Oscillating Multitool to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet itself, and the back of the drawer which sits flush with the cabinet. I was conservative in my cutting, as I can always cut away a bit more. I just want to keep intact the structural integrity of the piece.

I am concerned it is not big enough, or aligned enough. It will definitely vent the rear port, but some obstruction remains. I can easily cut the hole a bit bigger if it would be helpful.

I am not sure the science of how this works, though. Does it just need an "air hole"? If so, I would think this would be plenty fine? Or, does it need a "clean shot" for air/sound to pass and avoid reverberations etc.? If it is the latter, it would seem I may need to cut the hole a bit wider to make sure no part of the rear port is blocked (and that the holes are perfectly aligned)?

Please advise. Pics included. Thank you! :)
Is there a reason why you need to put the centre speaker in a drawer?

1. You're probably not going to get any clear sound coming out of that, and defeating the purpose of having that speaker by throwing it in a drawer.
2. With a proper crossover, the back port won't really be utilized as no real amount of air is going to get pushed out of it if it's set to 80Hz and up.
3. Couldn't you have just taken out the drawer altogether, and slotted the speaker it that space?

However - if it were me, I would make sure that the holes were aligned, and also a little bigger that the back port of the speaker.
The drawer is a mesh front specifically designed for a center channel, and the speaker sits right up flush with it. It shouldn’t be any different than having a speaker grill on it. The surrounding wood doesn’t get in the way of the speakers and sort of acts as a frame from what I understand. I’ve had a center channel there for 10 years and didn’t notice any problem.

Thoughts?

So how does the rear porting work? Is it just for airflow? Why and how much does some of the obstruction matter there? I hear mixed things. I’ve heard it just needs a place for the air to go and that I don’t need to worry about it blocking some, and I’ve heard that any obstruction will cause reverberations and problems. How exactly does rear porting work?

It sounds like you are advising that I trim the hole another inch or so around to widen it. I just want to be careful to take as little out of the unit as possible to not weaken it.
So how does the rear porting work? Is it just for airflow? Why and how much does some of the obstruction matter there? I hear mixed things. I’ve heard it just needs a place for the air to go and that I don’t need to worry about it blocking some, and I’ve heard that any obstruction will cause reverberations and problems. How exactly does rear porting work?

It sounds like you are advising that I trim the hole another inch or so around to widen it. I just want to be careful to take as little out of the unit as possible to not weaken it.
I would open the hole, and align the two you've made to make sure any air being pushed out of the speaker's port doesn't get blocked/impeded.
Reactions: 1
You could have tested a foam baffle before cutting up the furniture.... ;)
Should just plug the port
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.