AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a demo of the new Yamaha RX-V2400 at my local av store. I also should say I bought the 2400. Here is a review of what I did in the demo and what I thought. Keep in mind I am not a huge audiofile, nor am I a professional reviewer or writer.

The RX-V2400 was demo'ed in a small room probably 15 x 15 with only a 5.1 system using Mirage speakers Omni FX, Omni 250's,Omni CC, and a OM200 sub. The dvd player was a Panasonic 5 disc changer (sorry didn't get the model number).

VPAO:

First order was to see the VPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer). The small supplied mic was put at the listeners position. the mic plugs into the front and has a good 10-15 foot cord (only a guess). The VPAO checks several things 1)Wiring-which speakers are conected and polarity of each speaker. 2)Distance- the distance of each speaker from the listening position. 3)Size-checks the speakers frequency response and sets the appropriate low frequency crossover for each channel. 4)EQ-Adjusts frequency and level of each channel's parametric equalizer to reduce coloration across the channels and create a cohesive sound field. 5) Level- checks and adjusts volume of each speaker.

The Test:

The test took less than 10 minutes and consisted of pink noise and frequency bursts (16 of them for each channel). In the EQ parameter you can select either Front-adjusts frequency response of each speaker in accordance to your front spekaers, Flat-average frequency response of all speakers, Low-average giving priority to the accuracy of the bass frequency, Mid-average of mids, High-average of highs. Our results indicated that 125hz needed to be cut down 9 db and 3.1khz need a boost at +3 db. A couple other notes, the 2400 needs to have quiet to make the test. at one point there was noise from another system being played in another room and the Yamaha wouldn't start the YPAO and gave a error message "Noisy" I thought that was fairly cool. One thing that bugged me was after the calculations the results were posted on a screen but quickly went away. I don't know if there is a way to freeze that screen or go back to it in the menus. I'm sure with more time we could of figured that out.

Quick note for all those who wonderd if the OSD shows up through component. The answer is NO! Bummer!!

On to music:

No DVD-Audio on the dvd player so I had to listen to music that was DVD video or DTS.

First up was the Big Phat Swing Band. This disc sounded really good. I'm sorry but I did not hear the brightness that alot people say they here in Yamaha. I thought the sound of the brass instruments were very clean and accurate. This disc is recorded incredible and it sounded great. I used a spl meter (radio shack) and got some levels. I know everyone including myself is worried about the Yamaha's power. I figured that 0 db on the 2400 was reference level. I decresed volume to about -70 db (couldn't hear) and increased the volume to -15 where it seemed to be in the loud stages. I listened to Big Phat Swing Band at -08 and at +3 (really loud, and my sales friend was saying that we shouldn't go over that for fear of damging speakers. At -3db volume I was getting about 90db on the meter. -16 was good background level where you could talk but still hear the music.

Next was the Blue Man Group, this was harder on the spekaers than the amp. Lots of bass. On the track PVC IV I was at-10db on the volume and was showing around 90db on the meter. Rods n' Cones at -10db got peaks up to 94db. All of this without any noticable strain or distortion.

Next Diana Krall "Live in Paris" The Yamaha did very well on this disc. I still did not hear any brightness and Diana's voice sounded as good as ever. On some of the softer tunes the volume was set at about -5 and saw peaks on the meter from 85 to 90db.

On the whole, Music wise the 2400 did very well. most moderate volume levels would be in the -15 to -5db range. -3 was really loud to me and there wasn't too many cases where I would push it up to 0db.

On to Movies:

Always have to test a system with LOTR (Fellowship) Mines of Moria scene. Boy did this sound good on the 2400!! Now this disc was recorded hot, but I was reading 94db at volume level-17. The Yamaha did very nicely, I wish I could have heard it in 7 channel THX though.

Band of Brothers assault on Foy was the test disc for the night listening mode and silent cinema. The night listening mode compresses the sound coming from the surrounds in the form of explosions and effects, but keeps the center dialogue channel at a good level. I found the mode useful in some instances. Its subtle, but if your wanting to watch a war movie at 3am without having your wife kill you it can be helpful. Silent cinema was an interesting effect. No it isn't true surround. I got more info left and right than the feeling of front to back. I can see maybe using it on occasion, also late at night or watching a movie loud while the wife and kids do something wlse in the same room.

The Verdict:

I like this unit, Hell, I bought it. I will use it to run a Paradigm 7.1 Studio system. with 100's powered separately by a Anthem MCA20 (200 watt x 2) and use the 2400 to power everything else. Eventually I will get a 5 channel amp and use the Yamaha as a prepro. Is it perfect? No, I don't think anything is perfect. But I do think for the features you get and the price, It is a big winner. Yamaha has raised the bar in price vs performance. I still would like to see it bench tested for it's power rating, but It handled everything I threw at it. Hope to hear other opinions as this unit gets out on the street. I will post more info as soon as I can test some more, Hope this helps!

Greg

· Registered
3,755 Posts
Sounds like you put them to a good, rigorous test. The Mirages are a bit more efficient than your Paradigms, specs say 2dB, wouldn't be surprised if it were more like 3dB given all of the comments about the 100s needing more power. If it is a 3dB difference, then you will need twice the power for your home speakers to produce the same volume levels as in your store demo.

One red flag that went up for me in reading your report was the -9dB adjustment at 125Hz. That is a huge and unusual cut at that frequency. It's possible that the Mirages have a mid-bass boost that carries up that high and is excited further by the room, but that's not normal.

Such a big cut would have helped the amp to hit louder volume levels, as it would have significantly reduced the power draw in a key bass region. A -9dB adjust would mean that a peak that would have pushed the amp to 64 watts at 125Hz, would now only require 8 watts of output. So while the midrange could have been pushing up the SPL readings, the bass might not have been working as hard. And bass is where power is needed in a system.

Frankly I would have wanted to listen to it both pre- and post-YPAO. My reasons would be 1) to hear the difference, and 2) to see what the amp could do at 0dB settings as you really don't know what your system EQ settings would be and it would be safer to push it hard at flat settings to make sure it was capable of going loud at those settings.

It would be interesting to run the YPAO again and see if it came up with the same settings. And then move the speakers a bit and see what it does.

All of this aside, you certainly did a good job of selecting material and listening critically, while measuring output levels. Those are very good habits.

Hope it works out for you in your home system. It certainly offers a lot of features for the price and it would be nice if it's a legitimate choice for many to consider.

Now that you have it at home, I would connect all 7 speakers to it, run it in flat mode and see if it can handle loud volume levels. If it does well, then it should do fine when driving only 5 channels. And you would be passing along useful information for others who might use it alone in a 7-channel system.

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,

Thanks for your comments ! You have been very helpful in this whole process. Your exactly right, It would be nice to hear the VPAO bipassed. I plan on doing more testing, but right now I have to get the room done before I can get everything set up. As far as the demo room and the VPAO settings, I'm sure the room wasn't ideal. The room was perfectly square with parallel walls and no acoustic treatments. I hope that as more units get sold others will post their comments as well.

Greg

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Nice review Greg ,

Do you know, is the bass management global for all speakers set to small or can you specify different crossover points for center/surrounds/main l /r ?

Im assuming the crossover isnt fixed at 80 hz and is adjustable on these channels if set to small, correct ?

Has anybody seen these on the east coast yet ?

· Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the great review, Greg. I'm also considering the 2400 to drive a Paradigm system, a 5-speaker setup with ca. mid-1990s Performance Series models. I look forward to your further impressions with the 2400 once you've got it set up and tweaked in your home system -- especially once you've played with YPAO a bit more. It's really YPAO that's sparked my interest in these rec'rs over, say, a 3803.

· Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In an earlier post in another thread I was understanding that you could set spearate crossovers for each channel. I misunderstood what my dealer was telling me, he was refering to another receiver that could. The RX-V2400 can not set different crossovers for each channel. You have several frequencies to choose from, but it is my understanding that you have nine subwoofer crossovers 40,60,80,90,100,110,120,160 and 200 Hz. I know that when you run VPAO it will automatically pick which speakers can run large or small. I don't know if it selects which frequency VPAO wants to crossover at. I do know that after you run VPAO you can go in a manual change a speaker to small if VPAO selected it large.

Greg

· Registered
1,518 Posts
Once YPAO runs, can you readjust your speakers to 'small' if it sets them to 'large', like on the 45TX?

· Registered
461 Posts
The RX-V2400 on-screen menu system is indeed available via component video.

The main difference is that it does not overlay the graphic menu system over your video signal. It 'mutes' the video and only displays the on-screen menu.

The same goes for the RX-V1400

· Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gps
The RX-V2400 can not set different crossovers for each channel. You have several frequencies to choose from, but it is my understanding that you have nine subwoofer crossovers 40,60,80,90,100,110,120,160 and 200 Hz. Greg
Is this true?.... can anyone confirm this?

· Registered
1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dubauskas
Is this true?.... can anyone confirm this?
The PDF states it (page 12).

· Registered
1,324 Posts
I can only see where it says SUBWOOFER crossover is variable and it doesnt say a thing about all the other speakers so Im guessing its only small or large ( 80 hz and thats it) for everything but the sub.

Greg, you said it had a "few" crossovers setting for all the other speakers (not sub)...have you verified this and if so what are they ?

So its pretty darn apparent there isnt individual speaker crossovers and from reading the manaul, no crossover choices at all (except for small and large-80hz) on l/r/c/surrounds..

PS..Im only guessing at the 80 hz crossover point as it is thx but some other yamaha receivers cross was set to 90 hz...hmmm ?

· Registered
1,518 Posts
Sorry - I thought you referring to the sub xover.

It seems like a feature they would 'brag' about if it was present in the unit.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
I just dont understand why Sony is able to put some of the best and most flexible bass management there is on almost all of the receivers including some of there cheaper ones, but hardly any other receiver company can seem to get it right when it comes to bass management.

Sony is adjustable on all channels and goes from 40 hz up in increments of 10....not just the lousy SUBWOOFER crossover adjustment (which is almost pointless anyway) as most everybody sets this at 80 hz anyway

· Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by psujohny
Sony is adjustable on all channels and goes from 40 hz up in increments of 10....not just the lousy SUBWOOFER crossover adjustment (which is almost pointless anyway) as most everybody sets this at 80 hz anyway
Because unless they have designed equiphase filters on all their receivers (unlikely), using different cut-off frequencies cause more problems than it solves.

· Registered
225 Posts
Just curious, does YPAO (and MCACC) still work if you're using an external amp and bypassing the internal amp?

I'm thinking of one of the receivers that have the calibration feature but it would be useless if they don't work with external amplification.

· Registered
1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by minesh1
Just curious, does YPAO (and MCACC) still work if you're using an external amp and bypassing the internal amp?

I'm thinking of one of the receivers that have the calibration feature but it would be useless if they don't work with external amplification.
Yes, they work with an external amp. The equalizers are in the preamp stage.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.